Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beloved albums that you can't get on with

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Elvenking - The Scythe (it's had some panning from their fanbase, but it was apparently their best selling album so...)

Honestly, the only album by this band that I've found interesting so far is Winter Wake.  I think The Scythe is on the same level as their first two albums.

I have to completely and utterly disagree with you there. The Scythe is terrible as far as I'm concerned. The first two + Two Tragedy Poets (ironically their acoustic album is better than most of their metal albums) are pretty much essential as far as I'm concerned. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

It's been years since I've felt the urge to listen to Pantera. 

I said this yesterday, but I convinced myself to give Far Beyond Driven a listen today.  It's the only Pantera album I own.  I used to have the live album, but didn't like it much, and the rest of their albums belonged to my brother.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:25am
I rarely get the urge to listen to Pantera these days (mostly because, as I got older, my musical horizon has broadened so much that rather then being a central figure in my musical universe Pantera became one of many figures), but whenever I listen to "Cowboys from Hell" and "Far Beyond Driven", I enjoy it as much now as I did back then. I like "Far Beyond Driven", too, but it never impressed me as much as the two other albums did. I was never interested in the post "Far Beyond..."-releases.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:04pm
It's weird that this topic can up and gave me the urge to listen to a Pantera album again.  I didn't even realize today was the anniversary of Dime's murder. Shocked
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:27pm
it is?  I'd better throw some on, too
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

The first two + Two Tragedy Poets (ironically their acoustic album is better than most of their metal albums) are pretty much essential as far as I'm concerned. 

Fitting.  I've listened to TTP today and think it's now the worst of the bunch.  Now I've got another item to contribute to this thread with.  I'd rather listen to The Scythe a hundred more times than listen to shit like "Heaven is a Place On Earth" again.

Elvenking don't do much for me.  I find them really underwhelming folk metal.  If what they do is a mixture of power metal and folk metal, then I'd rather choose one of the two branching paths: extreme sounding folk metal that I'm used to (like Ensiferum and Equilibrium), or Elvenking's fellow countrymen Rhapsody (of Fire).
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 11:32am

I didn't even realize today was the anniversary of Dime's murder. Shocked
That explains why I saw some pictures of him showing up on forums etc.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:34pm
Moreso entire bands than albums. I love prog, I love metal, and I love prog-metal, but I am just not down with Savatage, Queensryche, or Dream Theater, arguably the original big 3 of prog-metal.

Roots is a travesty and signified the death of Sepultura in my eyes.

I love Somewhere in Time. Seventh Son...is where they kind of got a little out there for me. It's Maiden, so it rules, but compared to the stuff before it's kind of weak.
I also love Pantera. Vulgar Display is one of the most important metal albums ever, IMO.

I agree about Moving Pictures. It is great but compared to the masterpieces released before it it pales.

I'll say that all of Nile's releases after Amongst the Catacombs... were fairly disappointing to me. Good stuff, but a bit of a letdown considering what they unleashed upon us so early on.

Edited by buttsled - 14 Dec 2011 at 2:36pm
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:45pm

Oh that reminds me. I HATED Seventh Of A Seventh Son... Listened to it once and deleted it immediatly from my computer. I've heard everything from the early and the old stuff of Iron Maiden, but this was probably the worst... Some even think it's their best...

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 1:25pm
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business...
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:59am
Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory. I think Awake is the best they have done
Anything by Kiss. I hear nothing more than an average hard rock band in them...
Om-Negura Bunget. I don't hear anything special in this album at all.
Back In Black-AC/DC. I've always failed to see how this one is considered to be so much better than their other albums, I think Razor's Edge is probably their best.
Images And Words-Dream Theater. Same as Scenes From A Memory, and I hate Pull Me Under, terrible songDead.

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Guns N Roses? Vastly overrated!
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Guns N Roses? Vastly overrated!

I completely agree...
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

\
Om-Negura Bunget. I don't hear anything special in this album at all.

Sadly, I agree.  It seems like an album that I would love when just describing the concept and instrumentation, but then when I actually hear it, it does very little for me.  Well, still 3.5 quality, but thought it could be better...
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:26am
One I forgot about was Painkiller by Judas Priest.  I like the title track, Metal Meltdown, and Touch Of Evil, but most of the other songs don't really do much for me.  But dammit I love 70s Priest!
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory. I think Awake is the best they have done

I love you.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 7:45am

One I forgot about was Painkiller by Judas Priest.  I like the title track, Metal Meltdown, and Touch Of Evil, but most of the other songs don't really do much for me.  But dammit I love 70s Priest!

ShockedShockedShocked
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:32am
I agree with Sheavy, Awake is Dream Theater's best album, IMO.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:38am
Put me in the Awake is Dream Theater's best category as well.
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 5:35pm
Anything by Tool or Opeth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic