MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Core Chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 2:31am
^ me too. There's nothing actually wrong with the tracks I've sampled but how distinct they all are from each other I couldn't tell you. I haven't sampled enough. Seems excessive to me at any rate.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 4:50am
Well the band Converge have just gone a long way toward making me a metalcore convert. Their new album sounds pretty insane. Definitely a cut above the usual 'popular' metalcore bands out there that I've tried in the past. I guess there's a reason that six out ten of their albums make up RYM's top 10 for the genre (eight in the top twenty). Shocked
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 5:23am
I’m impressed that you tried it 😉 That’s not meant to be patronising but so many metal heads either “get” metalcore or more likely avoid it at all costs. As for the Converge album, yes it’s superb. Possibly my favourite album of 2017. Like many” progressive” albums, it also gets better with each play.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 5:49am
I've not completely adverse to it or its sub-genres (this was my first taste of anything remotely to do with mathcore though). I'm quite fond of the couple of Protest the Hero albums I've manged to pick up in charity shops (especially Kezia) and Trivium were one of the first metal bands with harsh vocals that I enjoyed, so I still hold them in high regard, mainly for Ascendancy. In truth I don't mind Killswitch Engage either though they've never blown me away like Converge just did. There was a proggy metalcore band who released an album last year called Erra that I quite enjoyed too. Converge though seem like they're on a whole other level. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:09am
If you enjoyed the mathy side of the genre, last year's Dillinger Escape Plan album (their last ever Cry) was excellent too and for a DEP album, very accessible for the band. Their penultimate release was also excellent.

The latest Trivium album is good. As for Protest The Hero, you heard Volition? Not mathy but very prog. I don't know the Erra album though - I'll look it up.

Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:30am
^Erra - Drift

I also listened to it last year and I found it quite good. I really enjoyed the clean vocals and the instrumental work...
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:06am
If you enjoy Converge Adam (and yeah I agree, they are a pretty damn great band), you should definitely give Burst a chance too. Great Swedish post-hardcore (or metalcore if that´s what people want to call it). I can highly recommed both Prey on Life and Origo.

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:12am
^ agreed.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

If you enjoyed the mathy side of the genre, last year's Dillinger Escape Plan album (their last ever Cry) was excellent too and for a DEP album, very accessible for the band. Their penultimate release was also excellent.

The latest Trivium album is good. As for Protest The Hero, you heard Volition? Not mathy but very prog. I don't know the Erra album though - I'll look it up.

I'll have to check DEP out then, though first plan is to explore more Converge, starting with Jane Doe. 

One day I'll probably catch up on the Trivium albums I've missed. They were selling most of them for just £2.99 each in HMV recently but I was supposed to be Christmas shopping so elected not to buy. 

As for Protest the Hero I've picked up Kezia and Fortress in second hand shops in my town in the last couple of years. Not checked out any others as yet. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

If you enjoy Converge Adam (and yeah I agree, they are a pretty damn great band), you should definitely give Burst a chance too. Great Swedish post-hardcore (or metalcore if that´s what people want to call it). I can highly recommed both Prey on Life and Origo.

I'll look them up. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm
Interested in more thrash-based metalcore? That encompasses most of the bands I like.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:18pm
I'll try anything for a track or two, though I'm not likely at this point to check out metalcore bands en masse. There's one called Botch who also feature highly on RYM's chart that look intriguing, since they're the only band keeping Converge from having all top five places with their We Are The Romans album. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
Botch and Converge were metalcore before there was the awful derivative genre which now bears the name. There were a couple of others I remeber- Luddite Clone and Burnt By The Sun. After that though, I just went off it.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:34am
Saw Killswitch Engage supporting Maiden last night. Did pretty much a full set.:

Strength of the Mind
A Bid Farewell
Life to Lifeless
Hate by Design
My Last Serenade
The End of Heartache
My Curse
In Due Time
Holy Diver

It's the first time I've seen them with Jesse Leach (Howard Jones was on vocals the last time I saw the band) as an aside, and he's certainly a fair performer. 

An Killswitch fans out there?

Edited by Bosh66 - 07 Aug 2018 at 9:39am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:41pm
I like their cover of Holy Diver, but their own music, not so much.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 1:40pm
I saw Killswitch live on the Copenhell festival a couple of years back, and I´ve given a couple of their albums a listen or two, but it´s not really my type of music. Can´t get into it.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 2:50pm
Jonas - yeah you're probably in the majority there for this site. A strange line-up putting Killswitch and Maiden together at a gig - seemed to draw two disparate groups of fans -the punks and metalheads. Maybe that was the intention.

Patrick - Holy Diver shouldn't work done metalcore, but shit does it. Love that track.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 2:01am
I don't know if other genre teams are seeing the same but we seem to have had a shed-load of metalcore / sludge / hardcore releases over the last month. I can't keep up with the adds, never mind listen to them LOL And that includes releases from some of the big hitters, as well as a good number of first time releases. Perhaps it's the pent-up supply from the last couple of Covid-infested years we've had?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 10:46pm
It seems to be happening across the board. I've listened to a few podcasts with musicians who have said they were writing and recording during lockdown but didn't want to release stuff until they could tour it. Tours seems to be restarting, so here comes the deluge!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 4:17am
^ at least that suggests there will be an end at some point Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image