MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Office (UK) vs The Office (US)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which TV series do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [57.14%]
3 [42.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Office (UK) vs The Office (US)
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:53pm
Diogene's avatar got me thinking of this.  What do you think of these 2 shows?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 1:01pm
Don�t know any of them.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 3:34pm
I can't vote Q_Q, but The US Office is far superior, although it's been on a mostly downward slope lately. I like a lot of "British humour", but The UK Office's "oh ha ha sexual innuendo or semi-ironic racism isn't that embarrassing" is unbearable. The US Office only got good when Michael grew out of doing a Ricky Gervais impression. 

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 3:40pm
I don't think anyone outside of the US like the US version. It's shit compared.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Dean said the US is better and seemed to think that was a widespread view even in Britain. 

And while I would certainly admit it's very American in many ways, I think it's not nearly as indecipherable for foreigners as something like Seinfeld.  

Edited by Henry Plainview - 03 Aug 2011 at 3:47pm

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:10pm
Good to see that there are other fans on this site!  Oh, and inspiring a poll made my day.  Seriously.  How lame is that?Geek

Uh, I like the US version more (I'm definitely biased), but I don't think the UK version is as bad as everyone here thinks it is.  And the US version has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons, so I might have to start watching the other one more diligently.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Dean said the US is better and seemed to think that was a widespread view even in Britain. 

And while I would certainly admit it's very American in many ways, I think it's not nearly as indecipherable for foreigners as something like Seinfeld.  

Seinfeld is horrible, but I hate most sitcoms, so ignore that. 

Perhaps the British are getting sick of the UK Office? Understandable.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:47pm
I voted UK Office.  I was pretty big into the US one for a few seasons, and that was the first of the 2 I had seen.  I think the quality of the episodes dropped somewhere around the 4th season, but there are still some good moments/episodes in that and other seasons.

The UK style has more of a realistic quality that matches the documentary style filming.  Granted, I've never met anybody quite like David Brent, but he's less of a caricature than Michael Scott.  It ended very well with the Christmas special too.

I think my preference for the UK series stems from my admiration for how many  series  from there are written and produced.  Fewer episodes are made, but each one is rather memorable.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:09pm

Seinfeld is horrible, but I hate most sitcoms, so ignore that.

No, see, that's what I'm saying: I understand this because I can imagine Seinfeld would be rather impenetrable to someone who doesn't remember what it was like to be an American in the '90s. Plus, it hasn't aged well with the laugh track. I feel like (barring some of the more embarrassing pop culture references) The Office doesn't have that problem so much.   

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

And the US version has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons,

I don't know, I thought the previous season was a major improvement over the one before that. Pam stopped being such an annoying bitch, Jim mostly stayed in the background (except for Dwight Shrute, Acting Manager, which was a return to his antics actually being good), I didn't have to sit through another incredibly ill-conceived parody of a Youtube meme, etc.
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

The UK style has more of a realistic quality that matches the documentary style filming.  Granted, I've never met anybody quite like David Brent, but he's less of a caricature than Michael Scott.  It ended very well with the Christmas special too.

I don't mind (for the most part) the more over the top direction they've taken lately, but I think normal Michael Scott is more believable as a continued employee than David Brent. But of course he also does some things that are just completely crazy. My favorite parts of The Office are Michael's brief flashes of real skill and competence, which I never really got with David Brent (but, to be fair, I didn't watch much of it because I couldn't stand it, so maybe I'm wrong).

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:44pm
well Steve Carrell is a better actor then Richy Gervais, well at least i think so. but I have mostly seen the american version so I cant vote.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:48pm
I haven't watched much of the UK Office so I probably shouldn't have voted, but I don't know if I could bear forcing myself through more. Not that the US Office doesn't have its own low points...

Edited by A Person - 05 Aug 2011 at 10:49pm
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 7:21am
I really like the US Office, even though I don't watch it that regularly, so I've seen the more recent seasons a very few times. Never saw the UK version, so I can't vote.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 10:49am

The English version, of course  

Bar a couple of programs I never got American humour Tongue

Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 6:43pm
I actually go for the US version. I liked the British one, but I don't know, the US one just does it for me more.
I actually also preffered Extras to The UK Office, but I watched it so much I spoiled it on myself.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 5:46pm
I didn't know that there was a The Office (UK) LOL. Anyway, I have never been a fan of The Office period 
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 10:05am
UK for me. Perhaps it's a case of liking what I know more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic