Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ayreon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:21pm
^There's no bad bad album in all Ayreon. The worst one is still decent.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 1:23am
I must be an unusual one because THE kind of bores me (though I haven't actually bought the album, I was merely sampling it, so I might have to take a look at the booklet), but I've been groovesharking 01011001 and I find it immensely better for some reason. I think THE sacrifices a bit of "epicness" most of the time in order to present more story, and they have to cut down most of the songs to a basic songwriting verse-chorus format.

That being said, the interplay between James Labrie and Eric Clayton in "Day Two: Isolation" at the beginning immediately turned me off. It was just cheesy beyond belief, and for it being at the beginning of the album it left a bad impression right off the bat. Most of Devin Townsend's songs except for probably "Day Eight: School" are epic times one million.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 2:12am
Eric ClaytonBowdown
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:54am
You are not alone in getting slightly bored with THE, but I also get that way with 0101101100. The last great Ayreon album for me was The Universal Migrator double-pack. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:51pm
About The Human Equation, it took me a long time to really get into that one. I actually reviewed it some years ago and gave it a decent score but nothing in the 'masterpiece range'. Eventually though I had to pull my review from the Internet because I no longer agreed with it. Many claim THE as the definitive Ayreon album though, and that I still don't agree with. I definitely prefer 01011001 to it. For me it doesn't get better than Into the Electric Castle.

Bowdown
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 9:57am
01011001 is my favorite. Absolute 5 star masterpiece IMO. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:11am
My awful review for it in PA, it's a 5 star review. 
Inexistence is the true normality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic