1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grunge (the term/name
    Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 7:30pm
I often feel like if a band was/are labeld grunge people outumaticly think of bands that obliterated technical playing and focused more on the songwriting, that flushed musicianship and egos down the toilett and highlighted power and expression over flash and glamour,

unlucky to some bands that came from the same place at that time like Tad, Soundgarden Alice in Chains (and to some extent Melvins) these bands had chops, was/were/is good musicians,

from what I gathered of info from the grunge docu, the founder of Tad is classicly trained musician (I don't know if the music refelcts that, but it might be well structured rock/ heavy music, Alice in Chains is clearly certain they were cought up in the grunge thing by accident (but what then is grunge, to me it is not a sound but geographical term of something that happend in an area in a certain period, but also the bands were influenced by eachother, since Seattle is not that big of a city, so influence must have gone faar & wide .... but AiC is just to heavy and dark to be "grunge",

Soundgarden is probably one of the most skilled band of early metal, technical they were good, musicianship was high, but they also were good tune-smiths and they had good chemestry in studio, (they reminds me a litle of what Mastodon is today an extremly creative and forcefull collection of tallents with unlimited imagination and who could also get it out on albums, and make well crafted songs. so to me when i read how easly Wiki and other pages just lumps the grunge sticked/stamp on the genreification I become a litle angred. I think it is a litle to lazy and sometimes not paying atention to what actually is being presented by the musicians so in that though i think the label grunge is damaging to the overall image of bands such as AiC and futher to SG who I feel often is not getting the applaude as bands like PJ and Nirvana gets, (the only true talant in Nirvana was Grohl though and I love Foo Fighters), AiC and SG just slays them technicaly (not that technical prows is all that matters in good music, but then both these two bands makes killer music, the eclectic nature of Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, and four songwriters who agrees on the sound of the band, with 16 killer tracks, is mindblowing,

im not that well known to AiC but I have planned in a looooong time to get Dirt and one other album to test them out, (hypocriticly enough I have seen them live Big smile and they were amazing and dark (even if it was sunny and 35� Celcius

I feel AiC and SG on a bad day could/can play cirkles around PJ and Nirvana (not to talk down those band I respect theyr importance to music and I really like some parts of Nevermind (though I really don't like the coverart work which ceeps me from buying it (silly maybe but Dead), and PJ make some really delicious rock songs. but Black Hole Sun had stood the test of time better (even if the lyrics makes as much sence as Yes lyrics WinkTongue)

ehhh yeah so enjoy the ranting and vote and be a part of the discussion that might change the decade to something better ShockedBig smile

Edited by Balthamel - 19 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 10:01pm
A bad name.

I'd rather call it the "Seattle Sound". Living not too far from Seattle I grew up listening to Seattle rock stations, especially the mighty KISW who aided tremendously in a lot of these bands getting thier start. Sometimes some of these bands are also labed alternative rock/metal. Alternative to what?

I saw Alice In Chains here in Victoria in a night club just before the release of Facelift and met Layne Staley and BS with him for few minutes. I remember watching him on stage and said to my buddies, "this guy is smacked out." So was I. There was the connection.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:50am
I don't seem to mind the term grunge. I know a lot of people argue it isn't a proper genre, or that all genres are stupid anyway.

I don't know, I personally like the descriptive nature of genres and like to categorize similar things together.

I know a lot of bands in the prog and thrash (and recently stoner) genres that I only ever tried because of the genre labels and nothing else. I find it helpful.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:29am
I think it's an okay name.  Like any genre, it tells you in a word or two what you're getting, but only a listen can tell you what you need to know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic