Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

most consistant metal band outisde Sweden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: most consistant metal band outisde Sweden
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:36am

In Sweden their seems to be a plethora of great metal bands. like Opeth, Meshuggah, Pain Of Salvation and In Flames to name some (probably strange I put In Flames together with 3 such awesome bands but I like In Flames)

what I see that is a returning thing for all those band is the standard high quality and the solid sound they have achieved as metal band both recognize able abut also quite their own sound. (they also are exiting and are respected because they aren�t just death or metalcore or, tech death or anything they do a lot of styles.

when I look at the nabouring countries I don't see such bands, yes they are scenes, there is bands but not in that self sustained way. ore with that wide apeal nor with the same musical depth. I would love to find a Norwegian metal band that attempted the same paths s Opeth, ( I think Finland have a good one in Amorphis that I found appealing and special in their own way), but I have tried and failed in my own country. I have a certain hope i Arcturus which have a cool melodic sound, or Ulver that is constantly evolving

but I think many of the bands are trying to hard to be weird and avant garde and special, with Opeth it feels natural with all what they try, it is not a forced sound it is very much just comes out of their amazing way of touching atmosphere, I think Amorphis is very close at that, I (only have one album) but I already love their use of Mellotron which i think their use of it is unique.

an thoughts

Edited by Balthamel - 03 May 2011 at 6:59am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:46am
I think that people in Sweden are perhaps better at supporting their local rock and metal (and other non-mainstream) bands than what can be said for, at least, Denmark.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 7:20am

I think it�s a matter of quality and original sound and the Swedes have always been ahead of the rest of the Scandinavian countries in that regard. Speaking of metal acts from my own country I think very few of the ones I�m aware of reach the level of quality and originality of the best Swedish artists. There are too many imitators and far too few innovators on the Danish scene. Examples of the latter catagory would be:

Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond ( hell half of King Diamond is SwedishSmile)
Artillery
Volbeat ( yes I�m not much of a fan, but they have an original sound and I respect that)
Invocator

But really it�s an unfair competition. Sweden is known for nursing their musical talents and young bands with cheap state owned rehearsal rooms and cheap music education programs while a rehearsal room in Denmark often costs half of my rent or more and music education after you leave primary and secondary school isn�t exactly cheap either. Sweden have nailed how you create talent.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

But really it�s an unfair competition. Sweden is known for nursing their musical talents and young bands with cheap state owned rehearsal rooms and cheap music education programs while a rehearsal room in Denmark often costs half of my rent or more and music education after you leave primary and secondary school isn�t exactly cheap either. Sweden have nailed how you create talent.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. When it comes to nurturing artistic talent, Denmark fucking sucks. Then again, there is plenty of opportunity to get access to cheap rehearsal spaces in Denmark, but you typically have to be a member of an "�velokaleforening", and I think that these are perhaps more abundant outside of Copenhagen.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:31am
I think you are right about that Kim. Rehearsal rooms in the greater Copenhagen area are usually very expensive. I used to rent a basement rehearsal room rather cheap back in the early nineties. It was owned by the local government. Later on I became a member of a youth club where there were rehearsal fascilitites, but after I turned 18 there weren�t any cheap offers available. At least not near my home.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:42am
If/when you live in Copenhagen, you can just drive over the bridge to Malm� and gtet a cheap ��vingslokale", I dont see that as a problem Tongue . probably a silly thought but then you both get the swedish band (milj�) enviroment + a trip out of the country ass well Wink

Edited by Balthamel - 03 May 2011 at 9:43am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:20am
Well the bridge costs money and I live about an hour worth of car driving from Malm�. I don�t live in Copenhagen but in a northern suburb.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:27am
I think it's an even bigger problem that Denmark doesn't nurture talent in the same way as Sweden does. Maybe Denmark would have had a trademark type of metal just like the other Scandinavian countries do - Sweden with melodeath, Norway with black metal, and Finland with folk metal and epic power metal - if the local rock scene had been given more support.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:38am
Canada also has a problem with supporting it's metal bands.  Channels in the country such as MuchMusic and MTV Canada have a "Canadian Content Rule", meaning a certain percent of the artists shown (I believe it's 1/3) must be from Canada.  I'm sure other countries have a similar thing, but here it just means more Nickelback and other pop/rock I don't like.  I shouldn't expect them to play the music I like (metal, jazz, proggressive rock bands), but it still dissapoints me.

The real shame is that Canadian metal bands don't seem to be getting a ton of promotion up here even amongst other metal bands.  One of the only big one that seems to get a good amount of press is Protest The Hero, and many people just consider them a rock band.  It shouldn't be that hard to find homegrown music in a country the size of Canada, but when I find a group I do like and they are from Canada, it's usually not through the press or label promotion.  It's usually through something as accidental as looking at related videos on Youtube or through a band's self-promotion on message boards.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:12am
Don't they play a lot of Rush?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Don't they play a lot of Rush?
Yeah they do, but mainly just on classic rock radio.  Their last single I recall got some brief play on mainstream radio, though I only hear the radio when I'm in a shopping mall.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:07pm
Oh, yeah, mainstream radio is hopeless, I think, all around the world.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:47pm
their is plenty of local metal festivals and gatherings, and many of the clubs and bars have metal profiles, and every town or comunity have a metal scene, or handfull of bands, from south of Kristiansand to the northern citys of Alta and Hammerfest, end some metal capitals like Bergen, Notodden, Trondheim and Haugesund.

though I personly think black metal gets to much attention and their is few noticeable metal bands that are famous that havent roots in the black metal scene. i can't think of any death metal bands that havent any releationship with black or folk metal.

few bands like El Cako, Turbonegro, Gluecifer, are not of black metal scene or have musicans coming from there, I don't know about if Pagans Mind have any relationship with black metal..

but I like the development of Ulvers development and also Enslaved deserves alot of praise for moving out and make something that isn't quite classifiable 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

though I personly think black metal gets to much attention and their is few noticeable metal bands that are famous that havent roots in the black metal scene.

That's of course, a problem, too. Not that there's a lot of black metal in Norway, but that other types of rock music become deprioritized in general.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 7:41pm
I think America might be a little too helpful to bands in some cases. We do have many good bands, but also many bad bands with big followings.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic