MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

review dump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: review dump
    Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 3:29am
I'd like to copy all my metal reviews from PA (in batches of 10 or 20) but I don't want to dump them all over the MMA homepage, pushing back the real new reviews from that page.

On PA you can rate an album first and then add the review the day after, that way it won't appear on the homepage.
This doesn't seem to be available on MMA, you can't edit a review.

Will this be available some time?
Ot are there any other possibilities to accomplish what I want to do?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 3:59am
The whole point of quick rating is that it allows people to rate releases and then later on review them. Those reviews should still appear on the frontpage.

While it may annoy some people that you do batch copy/ pasting, I don�t see it happening in any other way unless you want to use the drafts option and publish your reviews little by little ( a couple each day maybe). Other people have done it before you.

About editing a review that�s fully possible. Just save it as a draft and don�t publish it. Then you�ll have drafts saved that you can either work on or publish when you feel it�s time to publish them. I�ve copy/ pasted all my metal related reviews from PA to MMA using the drafts option. I�ve publised very few of them up until now, as I want to re-write most of them along the way, but it�s nice to have the drafts saved here on MMA anyway.

The problem occurs if you�ve already rated an album and then wan�t to add a draft review. That�s unfortunately not possible yet. Then it�s only possible instantly to publish the review. It�s been reported though and it�s on Max and Phil�s to-do list as far as I know.

...oh and it�s also possible to edit published reviews. Just go to your main profile page and there is an edit option beside every review you�v written.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Apr 2011 at 4:01am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 7:40am

thanks a lot! I hadn't fully captured the whole idea and purpose of these drafts
Will use that option as some of the reviews will really need some editing Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:31am
Good luck Karl. It took my a full year to copy/ paste all my reviews from PAWacko
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 12:32pm
But you can edit a review?

I saw go for it man, as Jonas said I really see no other way around and if someone is a little ticked, well to be frank screw it. People get way too hyped over reviews anyway, I say just do it and get it over with!

Besides, I know my natural tendency is to cluster review. Just how I do it best, how I operate so I tend to fill the front page. It happens ya know?
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 1:03pm
Hey, semi-off-topic question here, but if we are copying our own review from progarchives do we have to mention where it is originally from?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 1:10pm
No not necessarily. Max has encouraged from the start that people should copy/ paste their reviews from PA to MMA. It�s always wise to make small edits before posting IMO though. Especially if there are references to PA or other PA reviewer�s reviews in the review. That sounded pretty out there didn�t it?LOL
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 1:31pm
Pretty much everyone whop joined in the early days took big fat review dumps as their first order of business.   As long as the reviews took decent thought and effort, the harm is rather minimal.  As more people join the site, a review will stand much less a chance of even remaining on the front page for a whole day even if users limited themselves to 1 review a day tops. 

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 1:33pm
I don't actually have many metal reviews on PA, but I may have to take a bit of a dump on JMA
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 2:17pm
Yeah it's really not a big deal.

And I've actually written whole new reviews for MMA, then copied them for PA! If I think I did a better job of course.

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic