MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which old school death metal scene do you prefer?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which old school death metal scene do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which old school death metal scene do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [10.00%]
9 [90.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which old school death metal scene do you prefer?
    Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:46pm
So which old school death metal scene do you prefer (1987-1993)?

In my mind the most influential artists came from the US, the UK, and from Sweden, but there were other important scenes too, which are worth a mention. I´d for example say the Dutch scene was very important too.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 3:40pm
Got to be the USA for me, Morbid Angel being the first death metal band I loved but so many great bands coming along at that time such as Death, Obituary, Suffocation and Immolation to name a few. Sweden would be my 2nd choice.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 5:03pm
US easily, especially Florida. Obituary and Atheist just to name my two favorite death metal bands.

Maybe Dutch scene second.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:10am
I forgot the Belgium and Finland scenes Embarrassed. Sorry about that.

...and yeah I voted the US scene too. That´s were it all started and some of my favorite old school death metal artists and releases come from the US scene.

The UK scene had a few really strong acts too, but they were actually very few.

The same can be said about the German, Danish, Norwegian, Finland, and French scenes.

I´d argue the Dutch scene was really strong, but of course number two after the US scene is the Swedish scene which spawned several great artists.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:19am
Apologies all, I'm totally unqualified to differentiate between the old school death scenes as only I've only been getting into the sub-genre in recent years and I definitely favour the more modern technical and dissosant side (sorry Patrick Wink).
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I´d argue the Dutch scene was really strong

Have you heard Acrostichon? Their debut is one of my favorite death metal albums, with some great contrast between almost death-doom and thrashier parts:

If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 1:18pm
^I´ve heard of the album, but I haven´t given it a listen yet. It´s on my very long list of what I need to listen to at some point Smile
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 1:02am
To be honest, I never really preferred any scene over any other. 

There were a handful of bands from Florida, but none of them sounded much like each other. You had another few bands from New York who were a bit more extreme. In Scandinavia there were bands who had a similar sort of sound. There were a couple of insane bands from Austria, there was a deathgrind style coming out of the UK, there was some real lo-fi stuff from Brazil, fast shit from Canada, some innovation from Aussie, and a strong, innovative but way underground scene right at home. 

Basically, I loved it all.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 12:02pm
I tend to favour tech death, but I guess US. It gave us Death after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic