Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd Choices For An Artist's Best Album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd Choices For An Artist's Best Album
    Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 2:18pm
What's an artist where your favourite album by them would be considered an odd choice by the majority of their fans?

I'll start: Sepultura. I can't get around that the album I'm most fond of is Dante XXI. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 5:17pm
One of my stranger ones is Blow Up Your Video for AC/DC. Usually most people go for Back in Black, Highway to Hell, one of the TNT/Dirty Deeds... albums or even The Razor's Edge.

Maybe Soulside Journey by Darkthrone. I can't stand any of the albums after that.

Celtic Frost - Monotheist outstrips anything they recorded in the "classic" era.

Helloween - Walls of Jericho maybe? I don't know how odd that is.

There are a lot of bands where my favourite isn't the generally agreed upon "greatest" album, but they aren't particularly odd:
Slayer - South of Heaven rather than Reign in Blood
Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What! instead of Rust in Peace
Metallica - ...And Justice for All insead of Master of Puppets
Anthrax - Persistence of Time instead of Among the Living
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster rather than Bonded By Blood
Obituary - Slowly We Rot rather than Cause of Death
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk rather than In The Nightside Eclipse
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time instead of Number of the Beast
Judas Priest - Stained Class instead of British Steel
Entombed - Clandestine instead of Left Hand Path
Motorhead - 1916 instead of Ace of Spades
Blot Thrower - Realm of Chaos instead of Warmaster

Some bands just don't lend themselves to an odd choice. If someone mentions any single album by Death for example, no one thinks it's strange. They might not agree (it's Leprosy, OK), but it's not an outright oddity. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 12:34am
don't know how unusual any of these picks would be but off the top of my head:
Testament - Low
Slayer - South of Heaven
Pantera - Trendkill

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:05am
Great Southern Trendkill is underrated for Pantera albums. Personally I prefer Vulgar Display of Power, but I didn't think of mentioning it.LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:39am
Others for me:

Mastodon - The Hunter 

Most fans will point to any one of the four prior albums as the best. The Hunter was the point where Mastodon began to be received more lukewarmly. 

Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

I believe the majority of fans have a problem with anyone who says that an album without Layne is the band's best. Most will say Dirt, Facelift or even the self-titled first. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:54am
Renewal by Kreator.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Helloween - Walls of Jericho maybe? I don't know how odd that is.

I don't think that's very odd. 

Odd would be someone saying Chameleon was their favourite. Wink
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 5:03am
Revelations of the Black Flame by 1349. A terribly received album but I always liked it and consider it their most unique record. 
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 9:26am
After Forever - Invisible Circles (Their second lowest rated album on RYM, and by far the lowest rated by my friends, lol)
Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic (Their least popular, but I love it, lol)
Dream Theater - The Astonishing (Self-explanatory)
Evergrey - The Inner Circle ((it is considered among their best, but most people prefer either In Search of Truth or Recreation Day over it.)
Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine (I think anything with Rob Dukes being a favorite would be considered odd, even though this is his best one.)
Hammerfall - Infected (Their most hated album, yet it's my favorite, LOL)
Sabaton - Heroes (Anything past Carolus Rex isn't usually that highly regarded by most people, from what I've seen.)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine (I think anything with Rob Dukes being a favorite would be considered odd, even though this is his best one.)

That one is probably tied for me with the debut, such a great album
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Others for me:

Mastodon - The Hunter 

Most fans will point to any one of the four prior albums as the best. The Hunter was the point where Mastodon began to be received more lukewarmly.

I personally also like The Hunter best(though Crack the Skye is still a close fave).

An easy one for me would be Crimson Thunder by HammerFall. Always liked it FAR more than any of the previous 3. Hell, I even like the next album, Chapter V, more than those!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 2:56pm
Some not quite as odd ones from me, but may still raise the odd eyebrow:

Within Temptation - The Unforgiving

I guess it depends on if you're more of an old school WT fan or not. I am, but this one is seen as the point they started to get more commercial, albeit not to the extent of future releases. It's my favourite though.

Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus

Yeah, I find it hard to believe I'm listing this one as odd and I don't know what everyone here's attitude toward it is, but when I was discovering Symphony X, this was also considered the lesser of what was considered the core four albums. It's high rated here, but the only one of the core four that hasn't passed an average of 4.0. And on RYM it's the only one of the core four that is not bolded. 

And one which is definitely odd:

Eluveitie - Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion

Eluveitie is one of those bands that have always largely left me unconvinced. But I really like their first non-metal album! 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 3:58pm
Black Sabbath - Born Again
Razor - Custom Killing
Annihilator - Set the World on Fire

There's probably more, I tend to love unpopular albums, but these are the first that came to mind that are my favorite album by the respective artist.

There's these as well, though they're tied with albums that aren't as odd

Judas Priest - Point of Entry (tied with Screaming for Vengeance)
Metallica - Load (tied with Ride the Lightning)

Edited by Unitron - 18 Apr 2022 at 9:40pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:23pm

What's an artist where your favourite album by them would be considered an odd choice by the majority of their fans?

I'll start: Sepultura. I can't get around that the album I'm most fond of is Dante XXI. 

I actually love this album, for me it was a return to form!
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:26pm

Celtic Frost - Monotheist outstrips anything they recorded in the "classic" era.

Is this an oddity though? I think Monotheist is actually well regarded amongst the fans (and actually my favorite)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

I actually love this album, for me it was a return to form!

I'm weird in that I like them more in general with Derrick than with Max. 

To me, Max Cavalera has always come across as one of metal's most overhyped individuals; a man whose shadow has hung over Sepultura for years since his departure and it feels like it's only with the last couple of albums that they've started to gain some respect back. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Is this an oddity though? I think Monotheist is actually well regarded amongst the fans (and actually my favorite)

When you look at the massive influence the band had it's always seemed To Mega Therion or Into The Pandemonium, or even Morbid Tales were very important. The biggest oddity was probably this band producing this album so long after their supposed heyday.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 10:47am
At The Gates - At War With Reality (most would go for Slaughter of the Soul I suspect).
Opeth - Watershed (Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park are the ones I suspect to be at the top of most people's list - both great albums of course).
Van Halen - 1984 (not sure how controvercial that is but the debut would be the one that most would go for I think).
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Black Sabbath - Born Again

It's a very good album, to be honest. I would love to see Gillan and Iommi collaborating again.

My choice is Voivod's Angel Rat. It's not THE best, but it's easily my top three from these canadians.

Edited by Tupan - 29 Apr 2022 at 10:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic