MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The categorizing of tech/extreme prog metal bands.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The categorizing of tech/extreme prog metal bands.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrEdifus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The categorizing of tech/extreme prog metal bands.
    Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 9:43pm
I propose that when categorizing these bands, we drop the prog, and place them based on their particular brand of extreme metal. This will avoid flooding Prog Metal with a vast number of bands that sound nothing alike, and will allow us to NOT have to make an extra category for these bands, when many of them, again, sound quite different from one another.

The "Progressive Metal" category should be left for bands such as Dream Theater, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, ect.

I told Dave (birdwithteeth11) and Alex (MovingPictures07) this privately and they both agree, I'm interested to see what the rest of you think about this.

(Maybe we were all already on this page, I dunno. Just thought I'd put it out there.)
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 10:37pm
I second that. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:57pm
I think that�s the best way to do it tooThumbs Up
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 1:18pm
Fourthed! Big smile
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:12pm
I agree, but am still unsure what category Between The Buried In Me would fall under. LOL
Aren't they prog-metal now?
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I agree, but am still unsure what category Between The Buried In Me would fall under. LOL
Aren't they prog-metal now?  

At the album level "The Great Misdirect" is believe to be Prog Metal, Death metal or Metalcore.

Now this is the best part of beign a Spec. Collab. to set the final choice on MMA Rawks
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 3:58pm
BtBAM would still fit in metalcore for me.
Opeth would still fit in Death
Unexpect in Avant

And where is the rest of Devy's stuff? Project, Band, Solo should all be together. SYL separate of course, but we need Accelerated Evolution and Deconstruction to be all under the same banner.

On a separate note, Mr. Bungle should be Avant-Metal rather than Death Metal.

Edited by Negoba - 30 Mar 2010 at 4:17pm
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:20pm
A metal website has to acknowledge the existence of subgenres like melodic death metal or symphonic black metal or progressive death metal..... 

Opeth belongs either in a hypothetical progressive death metal or in death metal period. 
BTBAM certainly would fit in either progressive metal or metalcore. 

Remember: the "progressive" tag that we have dealt with for so long still differentiates these bands from other metal outfits.... In metal there's 49137294381701 subdivisions... just check metal-observer or encyclopedia metallum for an idea... 
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

And where is the rest of Devy's stuff? Project, Band, Solo should all be together. SYL separate of course, but we need Accelerated Evolution and Deconstruction to be all under the same banner.

I think Industrial would actually be the best fit for both of them, since that seems to be where he takes the most influence from.
Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:20pm
When fleshing out the descriptions for the various subcategories here, rather than adding in heaps and bounds of additional tags to apply for any given artist or album, I think it would be better to just outline the style variations of each main subset in the genre description.

As for Death Metal, I see RYM has the following movements mentioned:
Death Metal
Blackened Death Metal
Brutal Death Metal
Death 'n' Roll
Deathgrind
Melodic Death Metal
Progressive Death Metal
Technical Death Metal
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 6:59am
Interesting , but for now, I would prefer using a simple organization scheme and use theses style variations in the bio or the artists or in the album field "More about this album" .

I tend to prefer simple main sub-genres, and allow experts and team members edit some general text informations fields to better categorized (if important or needed).

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:04am

Yes please let us not split up the death metal sub. All sub genres to the death metal sub that Olav mentions in his post above fit well within the borders of the current death metal sub.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic