Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's so great about pig squeals?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's so great about pig squeals?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:41am
PigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPig

I must admit that I freakin' hate pig squeals. I think it sounds stupid and annoying. Yet, a lot of extreme metal vocalists use pig squeals these days, so there must be something to this vocal technique that I just don't get. Are there any people on MMA who like pig squeals, and, if so, what is it about pig squealing that is so great. Please, educate me. Help me understand.

PigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPigPig
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:00am
If you don't like pig squeals,I have nothing to say.I like grindcore and death/goregrind.I think that this vocal type fits with the lyrics.Of course,I like these vocals.But I always try to find a meaning to things.Well,there are no better vocals to describe the subject of gore.   
Inexistence is the true normality.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:01am
Also Benighted is a respected  band.They are unique.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Sure, I understand why they're respected. I think that their riffage is pretty awesome.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:25am
Meh. Sometimes they're okay, but most times they're just freakin' annoying. I wish most vocalists would just do away with them.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:08am
If you hate pig squeals, stop straightening their tails!! Tongue

Seriously though, in the right context they can work.  I don't think I have many artists in my collection that use the squeals very often.  Screams and a variety of growls, but not many piggies.  I remember my friend had a compilation CD of european brutal death metal and grind bands that used nothing but those barnyard noises, and I wasn't too impressed.  If the music is strong enough the vocals are much more tolerable, but the same can be said for extreme metal in general.

Edited by Stooge - 03 Apr 2011 at 10:08am
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Sure, I understand why they're respected. I think that their riffage is pretty awesome.

Mostly,they are unique because they combine many sub-genres of extreme metal.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:16pm

Mostly,they are unique because they combine many sub-genres of extreme metal.

Won't argue with you there.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 1:18pm
inb4 nothing
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:10pm
I wouldn't say they're all over the place in extreme metal. They're mainly used in deathcore which isn't exactly extreme. I will give it grindcore, in which case I agree with you that it's not really a quality sound.

I do think it's quite hilarious though when listening to Waking the Cadaver.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:35pm
I (although i seem to be in the minority ) really like pig squeals. 
although, i will admit, when overused, they are a bit annoying. 
This thread just makes me think of a track off Job For A Cowboys "Doom " called Entombment Of A Machine.
nice pig squeals, but i may be because its a deathcore band, and the vocals are very clear.
I know there are many cases of pig squeals being overused by death and grindcore acts but i personally like them. 
but, i like waking the cadaver's vocal style and think it fits well with the band. Tongue

Edited by SKwid - 03 Apr 2011 at 3:36pm

goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:30pm
Long time ago, I said the same thing regarding deathgrunts and growls and the shrieking/squealing in Black Metal, but now they don't bother me anymore.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 7:57pm

I must admit that I freakin' hate pig squeals. I think it sounds stupid and annoying. Yet, a lot of extreme metal vocalists use pig squeals these days, so there must be something to this vocal technique that I just don't get. Are there any people on MMA who like pig squeals, and, if so, what is it about pig squealing that is so great. Please, educate me. Help me understand.

I generally hate pig squeals and try to avoid them at all costs. and the only reason I quoted you was becuase I like all the pig emoticons. Tongue

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 12:31am
Oiynk!
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:33pm
pig, as pork eventually, is delicious you know :D

The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 1:49am
I hate em.

Like everything with music, it's all personal.
For me personally, I just hate them. I am of course well versed in harsh vocals but pig squeals are just awful and never seem fitting for the music (which is what any vocal style should be about). IMO just an example of showing how hardcore a band is. Ugh, I really just don't like em.

On a semi related note, while Job For a Cowboy may no longer be deathcore, they are one of my most hated bandsLOL
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic