Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2021 so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Metal of the year so far. Chaotic nu-metalcore with some touches of drum and bass and even a hint of vaporwave.

That description sounds like the deepest pits of musical hell to me, but it's also made me insanely curious.LOL I really want to check this out now. My preconceptions have been proved very wrong in the past. Let's see what happens this time.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Does anyone else think the new Maiden is pretty dull an uninspired or is it just me?
IRON MAIDEN - Senjutsu cover

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/iron-maiden-nwobhm/senjutsu

Dull and uninspired? No. Grab you by the balls and make you pay attention? No. Probably not top 5 of the year for me, but it will make my top 30.

I don't think it's near as good as Book of Souls, but I like it. Problem is, I don't love it. It might be a slow burn - A Matter of Life and Death was, and I think that's excellent now. 

I find it quite subtly brilliant personally. Takes a few listens to to get a feel for it as well. I also find that the songs flow together really well. I don't think I'll end up regarding it as high as The Book of Souls though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:06am

Metal of the year so far. Chaotic nu-metalcore with some touches of drum and bass and even a hint of vaporwave.

That description sounds like the deepest pits of musical hell to me, but it's also made me insanely curious.LOL I really want to check this out now. My preconceptions have been proved very wrong in the past. Let's see what happens this time.Wink

You're a braver man than me. That descriptions an 'ah hell no' moment for me. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

You're a braver man than me. That descriptions an 'ah hell no' moment for me. 

Yeah I think I´ll pass too LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:28am

Does anyone else think the new Maiden is pretty dull an uninspired or is it just me?

Dull and uninspired? No. Grab you by the balls and make you pay attention? No. Probably not top 5 of the year for me, but it will make my top 30.

I don't think it's near as good as Book of Souls, but I like it. Problem is, I don't love it. It might be a slow burn - A Matter of Life and Death was, and I think that's excellent now. 

I find it quite subtly brilliant personally. Takes a few listens to to get a feel for it as well. I also find that the songs flow together really well. I don't think I'll end up regarding it as high as The Book of Souls though. 

The only song I really like is "The Writing on the Wall". The rest to me is a blur of slow- to mid paced slow building tracks (even the fastest parts on the album lack punch and power), which I have a hard time remembering anything from and I don´t like the sound production either. Shirley is the wrong choice of producer for Maiden if you ask me. Mind you this is still Maiden of couse, which means I still think the album is solid (which speaks volumes of the greatness of Maiden that an uninspired and dull offering is still a solid effort), but I don´t hear the excellence that some people hear. My review is written and ready to be posted, but I´ll give the album a few more spinds before posting, to see if my opinion changes. It seldom does though. My first impression is usually the one I still have years down the line with most releases...
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:18am

The only song I really like is "The Writing on the Wall". The rest to me is a blur of slow- to mid paced slow building tracks (even the fastest parts on the album lack punch and power), which I have a hard time remembering anything from and I don´t like the sound production either. Shirley is the wrong choice of producer for Maiden if you ask me. Mind you this is still Maiden of couse, which means I still think the album is solid (which speaks volumes of the greatness of Maiden that an uninspired and dull offering is still a solid effort), but I don´t hear the excellence that some people hear. My review is written and ready to be posted, but I´ll give the album a few more spinds before posting, to see if my opinion changes. It seldom does though. My first impression is usually the one I still have years down the line with most releases...

I quite enjoy it, but it's definitely not my favorite post-2000 Maiden album. I do miss some faster songs - just one or two would have been nice. Still, there are a lot of things I enjoy on this album, such as the riff that kucks in after the intro of 'Days of Future Past' and the kind of sailor jig style guitar melody thst appears @3:58 in 'The Time Machine'. The title track is very cool with the taiko-inspired drums and all that. But yeah, pretty much all the tracks are midpaced so there's not that much variation in that respect.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm

OK, this is 19 minutes long... Seemed longer. Glad I checked it out, but I won't be listening again.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:52pm

Fuck, it's gonna be hard for me to pick between this and Desolate as my favorite metal of the year. This is more fantastic crushing nu-metalcore, but these guys go all out with the electronics. Glitchy breakbeats and drum and bass are all around, Russia really knows how awesome electronic metal is.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:58pm
^Listening to that now and it already sounds the superior of the 2 releases. The electronic elements make it more interesting imo.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 5:28pm
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 11:49am
Wow, that also might be the single most accurate name ever: Limp Bizkit Still Sucks LOL
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:57pm
Album of the year, guess more bands need to suck if making amazing albums is what happens.
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 1:07pm
This is definitely worth checking out for the dissonance loving tech death folks...

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/sunless/ylem
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:26pm
^ Sounds like my sort of album. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:36pm

This is an album I keep coming back to, and next to the new Limp Bizkit is the album from this year I've been listening to most. Fantastic grunge album, somewhat in the vein of Purple-era STP. Their other two albums from this year are great as well.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:23pm
New Exodus is out tomorrow!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:37pm
^ Looking forward to that, my CD is on the way.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:17pm
EXODUS - Persona Non Grata cover

And it's a fucking ripper! Just what I wanted from a new Exodus album.Cool
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:25pm
The new ODRADEK ROOM is short but sweet. Nice blend of prog and death-doom: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/odradek-room/painted-mind

(unfortunately, I couldn't put the cover art here)

Edited by Tupan - 25 Nov 2021 at 4:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic