MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a pre-amp for my Strat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a pre-amp for my Strat
    Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 2:57am
Hello,

My Fender Stratocaster is lacking electricity Stern Smile

I have a Marshall amp, but I do not want to use it to keep good relations with my neighbors. Therefore, for now, I play my Strat acoustically.

As Xmas is coming, I'm looking forward to buy a basic pre-amp, but I don't know which hardware to begin with. Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance for you replies and merry Xmas! Beer
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 8:05am
What is your budget?

This isn't really a guitar forum, but I play and I'm sure some other members do.

Are you looking for silent playing (apartment at night, sleeping baby etc) or just reasonable volume?  The latter depends mostly on the taper for the volume knob (you want a linear taper, not audio taper) and there's really no way of knowing that without trying the amp

Headphones could also be an option, but that will have to be with a solid state amp OR if you use a tube amp you have to get a dummy load or you will damage your amp.  Something with an IR loader and/or speaker sim will sound much better through headphones or studio monitors 
Modrigue View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 9:39am
My budget would be under 100€.

I'm looking for a beginner pre-amp to play at reasonable volume, to plug to my hifi speakers.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 10:11am
I´ve played guitar for many years, but I was never a gear freak, so I know very little about amps. I used to own a Marshall amp which was pretty nice, but I´m sure there are other amps out there that I would be more satisfied with. I´m actually considering purchasing an amp again at some point. I have two electric guitars (a Parker Fly, which is my main guitar now, and my old B.C. Rich Warlock, which I have donated to my son), but I haven´t owned an amp for quite a few years, so when I play it´s on my western style acoustic guitar. Mostly a little blues just to release some stress in a constructive way...
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 11:31am
I have a guitar, but I'm more a bassist than a guitarist. I have a couple amps, a Fender and a Peavey. Both have worked really well for me, and I can turn the gain down so they'll be quieter but still plugged in. I'm not really knowledgeable about the tech side of gear though, so I don't know how much help I can be. My Fender has a headphone jack which I've used before, and it works well with good sound.

Edited by Unitron - 21 Dec 2020 at 11:33am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

My budget would be under 100€.

I'm looking for a beginner pre-amp to play at reasonable volume, to plug to my hifi speakers.

To do that, you will need a pedal or amp with a "line out" connection.  I don't know much about those.

Are you looking for a heavy metal tone, or clean tone, or something in between? 

My recommendation would be to look for a used 1x12 combo amp in your local area (using whatever the french equivalent of Craigslist is).  Some of them like Randall, Peavey, Crate can be had in your price range.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 21 Dec 2020 at 3:09pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:05pm
Other things to look at - Blackstar ID:Core, Zoom Multistomp, Digitech RP250. Orange and Vox both make micro-amps that might be passable.  Something in the Boss Katana line.  Line6 Pod series. 

if you go with one of the digital modeler amps you also have the option of running it into your computer and use your computer speakers or headphones 

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 21 Dec 2020 at 3:10pm
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:08pm
You may well end up damaging your hi-fi speakers if you put a guitar through them I would have thought.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

You may well end up damaging your hi-fi speakers if you put a guitar through them I would have thought.

assuming he's using the hifi power amp and not a guitar power amp, probably not.  But the signal will be too quiet without using a line-out 

Burzum's Filosofem was recorded with a fuzz pedal into a hifi stereo...
Modrigue View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 3:19am
Thank you all for your replies and merry Xmas to everybody! Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic