MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend me some Zappa!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend me some Zappa!
    Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 4:59pm
Copying and pasting from the California comments:

Zappa scares me! I've only listened to a couple of albums and many, many songs that I have absolutely no idea which album they are from. I have no idea where to begin and I always find a good excuse to put off exploring his discography.

I don't know why, it's irrational. I have immense respect for the man of course, his contribution to music is apparent even from the little I have listened to. Besides, everyone who is anyone (in my book) pays his respects, he discovered Vai (who is one of my favourite players ever), he is largely responsible for the craziness in music like Bungle...

So, I guess this is as good a time as any. Which is the one album by Zappa that I should listen to now?

.--------

I would also welcome the absolute necessities list, ie Zappa in a nutshell.

Educate me! :)

Cheers!
Paperbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 5:24pm
I'll recommend 'Apostrophe'.
It's accessible but still has some of the signature, Zappa weirdness.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 6:01pm
Hot Rats is fairly widely regarded as the essential one, and it's quite good.  I prefer the Mother of Invention albums and The Grand Wazoo.  Apostrophe  is pretty good too
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 6:56pm
I like most of his output, but the 4 albums that have always been my favorites from him are Absolutely Free, We're Only In It For The Money, Over-Nite Sensation, and Roxy & Elsewhere.

I'd recommend starting with Absolutely Free and Over-Nite Sensation. Absolutely Free represents the crazy avant-garde style of his early work without being as inaccessible as WOITFTM and Uncle Meat. Over-Nite Sensation shows his more humorous style, but still with killer musicianship and amazing songs. He has tons of 5-star albums in his massive discog, but these two are the best starting points IMO. Absolutely Free and Over-Nite Sensation both sum him up in his best form. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:06pm
Well I only have 5 or 6 albums (out of his 88 or whatever!)
But I'd say start with Hot Rats and Shiek Yerbouti.

Really though, might as well just go for it with Zappa.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Well I only have 5 or 6 albums (out of his 88 or whatever!)
But I'd say start with Hot Rats and Shiek Yerbouti.

Really though, might as well just go for it with Zappa.

Do you have Joe's Garage? If you're going to go down the route of Zappa's late-period and extremely vulgar stuff, that's the best IMO. Thumbs Up
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 8:40pm
The only zappa album that I really like is One Size Fits All, recorded as Mothers of Invention.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:39pm
I don't have anything from Frank Zappa, but I have something from Dweezil Zappa:

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:27am
I'm not sure I have a definite favorite Zappa album.  I could honestly get more familiar with some of his albums I own.  I haven't been too interested in his 80's stuff from what I've heard.  It doesn't have the same vibe to me.  The last album (the most recent) of his I can listen to on a somewhat regular basis is Joe's Garage.  
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:47pm
Here's a list of my favorites (Not in any order, that would be too much work Wink)

Apostrophe
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage
We're Only in it For The Money
Absolutely Free
Roxy & Elsewhere
Uncle Meat
Over-Nite Sensation

Some others that you could check out if you want include Freak Out! and Sheik Yerbouti. He's such a great artist, though, so it would be hard to go wrong, especially with the albums listed above.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:56am
Nathan said the work accessible in his post and I think that�s a key word when making recommendation to a Zappa newbie. There�s no need for the uninitiated to start with albums like Uncle Meat or Civilisation. So my list would be like this:

One Size Fits All
Apostroph�
Overnight Sensation
Sheik Yerbouti

You won�t find more accessible Zappa albums than that. If those albums interest you, you can move on to more difficult territories after that.

Edited by UMUR - 13 Mar 2011 at 6:59am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 2:43pm
(ahem) Freak Out!
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 2:44pm
Freak Out, Hot Rats, and Joe's Garage!
I'd start out with a compilation first, to get your feet wet.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

(ahem) Freak Out!

Only if you have a strong love for Doo WopSmile. Freak Out! is a great album IMO, but it�s not an album I would recommend people to start with.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:42pm
^ That album's always been meh for me. I like the next MOI albums much more. Smile
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by goskoski goskoski wrote:

I don't have anything from Frank Zappa, but I have something from Dweezil Zappa:

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama

Haha! I haven't seen that video in AGES. I used to watch Monsters of Rock, presented by Mick Wall (...Kerrang, the dude Axl disses on Get in the Ring) on Sky, late 80s, and I used to record that show. This was on it. It was the first time I heard the name "Zappa" btw. Wow. Memories.

Great show too, I wish I could find the episodes. First time I saw Faith No More, We Care a Lot too...

Thanks for all the recommendations on Zappa. I am starting to download. I mean purchasing. :P In about a year, I'll post my opinion! :P
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:00am
...hmm, so it's not the video. A real shame, that video clip was awesome!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:30am

Edited by UMUR - 14 Mar 2011 at 9:30am
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zargus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 6:50pm
Why not start with "Freak out!" his first album, a good place to start i think from a metal perspectiv, my personal favorit is "Were only in it for the money" however.
http://www.riseaboverecords.com/wp-content/uploads/BLOOD-CEREMONY-new-2016.jpg
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic