MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles (Proto-Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:00pm
^ me too. Possessed is the vital transition album though. As far as MMA is concerned, i agree that it blows away EM becaause of these fringe inclusions however The Beatles don't seem like a good fit. There are many other bands that had a heavy rocker or two in the 60s. Glad nobody suggested Elvis :D
metaldams View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metaldams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:05pm
I'm not much a death metal guy but even I like those early Morbid Angel albums. With some exceptions, thrash is about the heaviest I get and even there I'm a big Possessed fan. SEVEN CHURHES has elements of both death and thrash, but the album and EP after are pure thrash. Death, Morbid Angel and others after remained death metal for several releases after their first album.

Kind of like metal in general with all the proto metal stuff, elements slowly start to appear and then consolidate together.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:41am
Umm... back to the Beatles... Yes, my first thought was, "Well, the Kinks are on here, so..."

But if I may argue just a small point, which I think is totally debatable. The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night" were really groundbreaking for setting the mould for the future of the genre. While someone like, let's say Link Wray, provided inspiration for the next generation of guitarists like Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page, The Kinks' distorted rockers set more of a template for metal songs. Of course, if the Kinks did anything else like that later on, I haven't heard it.

Now the Beatles were doing just about everything and anything. "Helter Skelter" was covered by quite a few bands and it sure is hard hitting. But I've read a pretty good argument stating that "Helter Skelter" is not a heavy metal song, but rather just a loud and pounding rock song. Basically, the Beatles were just trying to write a song as loud and pounding as they could. Rumour says that they were trying to outdo the Who.

Based on just a couple of songs, it seems odd to include any band here unless their songs were truly influential. I think the Beatles showing up on a metal site would stand out as questionable, whereas the Kinks make sense for their two big influential tracks. The Beatles are just known for so much more than a couple of heavy hitters. But then again, there are many bands from the sixties who had a couple of really raunchy, loud numbers in their catalogue. Perhaps the line is somewhere between "You Really Got Me" and "Helter Skelter"? 
A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic