MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want something new....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

HUGE appologies for repeating myself and potential "spamming" Embarrassed

prOgulus.com
http://www.progulus.com/rprweb/playing.php

I think you'll be amazed how much Prog is out there Smile.

You can also go here as well:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4

Big smile

Ah yes, this and Prog.fm are radio favorites of mine
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Oooh, I almost forgot this one:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/last-things-the--circles-and-butterflies.aspx

This is a forgotten masterpiece from 1993... one of my favorite prog metal albums all-time! Clap Sounds like Marillion meets Dream Theater meets thrash metal. Cool

This should be coming in in about a month Cool
Got for $0.01 on Amazon.... with $4.99 shipping, of course LOL

This came in today. Some very great stuff on that disc!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:25am
^ Definitely! Glad you like it. Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

...and if you haven't heard all the bands on my sig.

Check them out! Your ears are in for a treat Big smile

I've been wondering this for a while... in your sig, it says you listen to what seems like entire albums continuously in last.fm..... how do you do that? Even when I go into an artist's radio, it takes dozens of skips to get one track BY that artist.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Two bands that I enjoy that you may or may not have heard of are Thought Chamber and Attention Deficit.

Thought Chamber has a very neo classical feel to it, at least the song I listened too. It's very cool!
Attention Deficit has some fine jazz metal elements, I like it a lot!
Thanks for these suggestions, too. Attention Deficit gives a little more variety to the suggestions too.

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 12:02pm
I really dig Attention Deficit's albums.  Michael Manring is such a unique bassist, and Tim Alexander is one of my favorite rock/metal drummers.  Skolnick is no slouch either Wink.

It's kind of an obvious suggestion, but Gordian Knot are another cool prog/jazzy/metal instrumental project if you don't have any of their albums.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

...and if you haven't heard all the bands on my sig.

Check them out! Your ears are in for a treat Big smile

I've been wondering this for a while... in your sig, it says you listen to what seems like entire albums continuously in last.fm..... how do you do that? Even when I go into an artist's radio, it takes dozens of skips to get one track BY that artist.

download a scrobbler and listen to music in a media player on your computer
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 1:40pm

^

Yup
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 2:57pm
oooooh.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

It's kind of an obvious suggestion, but Gordian Knot are another cool prog/jazzy/metal instrumental project if you don't have any of their albums.

Indeed, Gordian Knot are quite unique and great
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:20pm
If you like Gordian Knot, you may like OSI and Chroma Key (from DT alumn "Kevin Moore")
and Cynic members in Exivious, Portal and Aghora Big smile.

You were also mentioning "Riverside", here are some bands of that ilk (and tinges of Opeth
and Porky Tree):
1. Karnivool
2. Cloverseeds
3. Votum
4. Ephrat
5. Orphaned Land (could be part of list below too)
6. Cea Serin
And more in the Opeth Vein, slightly...:
7. The Ocean
8. Oblique Rain
9. Winds
10. Leprous
11. Enochian Theory
12. My Dying Bride
13. Katatonia
14. While Heaven Wept
15. Paradise Lost

I also hope you know about bands like Haken, Black Bonzo, Presto Ballet/Vanderhoof, Big Elf,
Anti-Depressive Delivery (ADD)
? Big smile
Kind of have that Retro-Prog thing going-with some heavier overtones like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep.
Are you open to "all kinds of" Prog Metal, like the complicated stuff ("Math Metal")?
And there is also the Post-Prog/Avant Garde Metal too Wink.

Glad you like PrOgulus! Do you come onto the Chat Board? (my aka is "MAVIII").

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 05 Mar 2011 at 3:27pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 4:19pm
I've heard of quite of few of those (especially Haken and Anti-Depressive Delivery, fantastic bands!), but there are also quite a few to check out! Thanks. 
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:24am
Hey Andy,

How is your "searching for new/obscure" going?  What have you liked, discovered and/or anything else?
 . . . just a' curious Wink

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 24 Apr 2011 at 2:24am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:41am
Do you know the French prog-metal Parallaxe? They didn't really bring something new, but their "Sondtrack" album is interesting as they (successfuly IMO) attempted to make a instrumental concept album with tech-metal material � la Spastik Ink.

Their previous album too is awesome, even without the conceptual ambitions:

Stenfeldt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stenfeldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:25pm
Hey guys! I'd like to recommend some brand new metal! It's actually my own Band's music if you guys don't mind. It's a fat mix of 8-string proggyness rounded up with aggressive synthesizers! Here's a link to our website:

http://www.facebook.com/indefiniteband?sk=app_2405167945

Enjoy fellas! Take care!

Edited by Stenfeldt - 11 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
-| See you on the other side |-
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Do you know the French prog-metal Parallaxe? They didn't really bring something new, but their "Sondtrack" album is interesting as they (successfuly IMO) attempted to make a instrumental concept album with tech-metal material � la Spastik Ink.

YES! Big smile they have a bit of a following at Progulus.com   Both albums are there Smile.

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Stenfeldt Stenfeldt wrote:

Hey guys! I'd like to recommend some brand new metal! It's actually my own Band's music if you guys don't mind. It's a fat mix of 8-string proggyness rounded up with aggressive synthesizers! Here's a link to our website:

Enjoy fellas! Take care!

If you have any releases - even a demo or a single, or a release on the way - you should post a note in the suggest-new-bands section (if you haven't already done so, of course).
Stenfeldt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stenfeldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by Stenfeldt Stenfeldt wrote:

Enjoy fellas! Take care!

If you have any releases - even a demo or a single, or a release on the way - you should post a note in the suggest-new-bands section (if you haven't already done so, of course).

The demo is on the website i linked. Thanks for the tip! Appreciated it! Posted there now too! Smile
-| See you on the other side |-
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

I (as most of you know) love prog metal, and although I think I've gotten a pretty damn big basis of prog metal, I want something new to listen to. Preferably obscure (so that I've never heard of them and will be surprised) and not necessarily a copy cat band (unless they're amazing at copying). I especially would like something more inventive, like Riverside (but Riverside's style, just how they expanded on the idea of prog metal. Do any of you have a new band for me?

Do you promise that you will really listen to what I will recommend?

So...

Aetherius: http://aetheriusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/all-that-i-need-to-survive

Random Mullet: http://randommullet.com/

Both bands are on MMA (and PA).
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:12am
You could try explore some of the more Fair To Midland, Rishloo, Dead Letter Circus type bands

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image