MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About Cradle of Filth genres...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junkiemaxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Cradle of Filth genres...
    Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm
We all know how commercial this band is now, but they didn't make only gothic releases... Personally i consider that anything up to  2003 album must be categorized as black metal (symphonic bm actually, but MMA admits genres only), next releases can be labeled gothic metal. It's my opinion, so you judge.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 1:59pm
Which means that http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cradle-of-filth--damnation-and-a-day.aspx would be the last black metal release before the band turned goth enough to be tagged gothic metal. I can�t say I disagree. We need the black metal team and possibly others who are interested to give their opinions.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 2:03pm
Even the next couple of releases are kind of borderline IMO but they should probably stay in Gothic metal.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 5:02pm
There has been discussions about the placement of Cradle of Filth's albums among the collabs in the past.  I assume not many around here are passionate enough about Cradle of Filth to draw a line in their career as to where they went from more of a traditional black metal act to having more of a gothic element in their sound.  The only CoF album I ever owned was Nymphetamine, which I can see why it is often classified as gothic.  Any other release I can't comment on. 

At the very least, their pre-album demos could probably be safely placed under black metal.  However, I remember reading somewhere that one of their demos (their first?) was closer to death metal in style.  Not 100% sure.

By the way, I love their MMA profile pic we have up with the stormtrooper in the middle. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:19am
So Jmaxxx, maybe you could help us tag the albums correctly. Is it true that the first demo is actually closer to death metal than black?

...and one Hell Yeah!!! for the Stormtrooper. LOL

Edited by UMUR - 07 Jan 2011 at 2:10am
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 5:53am
I'm unfortunately not really familiar with any of their albums so I can't comment much on this. So my knowledge is now limited to just googling for people's opinions on the genres.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:08am
Oh, I read the death metal thing on metal-archives.com a while back.  Apparently their first few demos are death metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic