Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Map of Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map of Metal
    Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:42am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 3:35am
Wicked!
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:28am
Interesting indeed! Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:12am
I�m only able to load 4 % and then it stops. What is the Map of Metal?
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:14am
Its the music equivalent of a family tree
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:16am
It's basically an overview of the history of metal, but then it's concptualized as a sort of map of a world in which the metal genres are expressed by islands, cities and landmasses. Each genre contains a number of tracks by relevant artists that you can listen to, The map itself is in turn presented like patches sewn onto a denim vest or something.

I'm currently hanging out on the hard rock island... lot of good stuff there.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:32am
Thit is so cool, Thumbs Up

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 11:24am
Super cool! Clap
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 12:15am
Sweetness.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 12:43am
I think it's pretty well put together. I do disagree with a few of the listings here, but overall a well made project.

A few quips:
1. There are a few genres on here that don't seem terribly notable to deserve their own genre. Visual Kei? Neu Deutche Harte? Trance Metal? New Wave of American Heavy Metal (what is this anyway?) Shock rock isn't even really a genre.
2. There are a few genres listed as metal that aren't even metal on there. Nu-Metal and Mathcore basically. Core relates to hardcore, not metal.
3. Splitting ends? Norwegian black metal, American Black Metal, Canadian Black Metal, and Greek Black metal are all black metal, so they really should be listed as their own category. Or else we might as well list every country's black metal as a genre.
4. No brutal death metal. Certainly more notable than plenty of the genres listed here.

That being said I could probably not create such a well functioning map. It serves its purpose also by putting it on a chronological scale, so not only are there genre similarities but there is a sense of time given.

Well done.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 1:38am
No mention of Spooky Tooth (influenced Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Zeppelin, Purple, Judas Priest and Blue Oyster Cult among others, gave Hendrix his first UK gig, and can be accurately credited with first using the term Heavy Metal in 1967, well before Steppenwolf) or The Sweet? If yer gonna mention "Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen (I know, Metallica covered it...), you have to mention "Set Me Free" by The Sweet, surely? Wink

As usual, the entireity of Glam/theatrical is overlooked (Lord Sutch, Alice Cooper, Coven, or even The Heavy Metal Kids!), there's little mention of American psyche (Doors, Fifty Foot Hose, etc), just the predictable Hendrix and Vanilla Fudge - and, as is to be expected in any poorly researched history of metal, Surf music isn't even hinted at (except maybe through the Sonics, who weren't really Surf, but used the Surf music style).

And what about plain, old-fashioned rock and roll? Or even the music that preceeded Rock and roll, such as "Train Kept a Rollin" (first released in 1951)? "Good Rockin' Tonight" (first released in 1946/7) - these pre-date rock and roll, and are foundation songs in early and highly influential metal bands' catalogues - Montrose, Motorhead, etc.

The Kinks? I'd like to chat to the person who first suggested them as potential roots of heavy metal... Just because Van Halen covered them - VH also covered Martha Reeves, but does she get a look in?

I also think people should be less concerned with trying to invent new "genres" (especially when the "genetics" are so very closely related), and look at the bigger picture. This way you get even more music to listen to!

My predictable quibbles aside, this map is a really great idea, and superbly executed, even if the history isn't properly researched. Thumbs Up

(I note that the site credits research types and industry names / historians - can't they get their facts right? Tongue)

Edited by Certif1ed - 07 Dec 2010 at 2:07am
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

My predictable quibbles aside.......... 

Predictable maybe Mark but spot on nevertheless! Clap

...and of course the obligatory mention of The Sweet Tongue Approve
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 4:13am
That's a huge project there! I do disagree on somethings... Maybe they put in too many subgenres,  I believe some don't even exist Ermm

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 5:19am

Hmmm... O.K, it's a decent attempt I have to say. But the issues I have with it are as such...

What is it with all this division into different countries?  I mean, let's face it, death metal, power metal and black metal are what they are, no matter where you go, right?
My next issue is, how the hell did dark ambient make it into the map? I can assure you that I've listened to enough of it to know it shouldn't be there! The nearest thing I saw to metal in dark ambient was a couple of black metal bands that did a few ambient sounding pieces AS WELL AS ordinary black metal, but even at that, the stuff those bands were doing was waaaaay too melodic to class as dark ambient based. Most dark ambient sounds like some variation on electronica, sound effects and/or minimalism. Honestly, I don't even really listen to much black metal but from the pieces I have heard (usually the more ambient works, funnily enough) there is just no way that I'd equate black metal with stuff like Atrium Carceri, Raison D' Etre, latter end Tzolk'in and Lustmord...no way at all.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 5:29am
I'm not going to let genre-w**kery diminishthe effort of that project. I disagree with some of the genres as well, but who am I to judge the MetalMap project on the basis of my own subjective experience of musical genres?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:40am
I've contacted map of metal with my "suggestions" - actually, I was dead lazy and just copied what I put here, which is public anyway now it's on this forum, so I'm not going to hide from it (not my style!).

I asked them if they'd pick up any points in this thread rather than privately, so I truly hope this is the start of a beautiful friendship - that map really is awesome, but I'd like the history to be as accurate and complete as possible - metal has a fine, long pedigree that it should be extremely proud of Cool
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 12:53am
I'm glad to see so much love for this thing!
I loved it personally because, cmon it was just for fun.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 7:10pm
Without being a git, in reply to some of the criticisms, both Brutal Death Metal and Glam are listed on there.

It's a good site. :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 4:40am
Yeah, I think it's a great site. As I said, I'm not going to let some fanboy genre w**kery diminish the feat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic