MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 2:59pm
I finished going through the studio albums of Omnium Gatherum today and while I found the group solid throughout their discography with a couple of early lesser albums, I can't say that there was a single album out of the nine they've made to date that really stood out. I stuck with them going through their work in order due to being on a melodic death metal kick lately but I can't say I've come out the other side feeling like I could say I'm a fan of them.

Dark Tranquillity on the other hand I am really digging and am close to completing a second run through of their studio albums. Unlike Omnium Gatherum I actually already owned two Dark Tranquillity albums on CD (Character and Haven) which I had found in a second hand shop some years ago but I haven't really spent much time on either release until recently and I think I have been neglectful as Character especially is a really good album and out of their discography I also have found an extra fondness for Fiction and most of all, The Gallery. 

Insomnium I am also liking having only got Winter's Game on CD. I don't find the Finnish MDM bands to have quite the same sound sound as the Swedish ones which I find more memorable for the moment. But I'm looking for to going through their catalogue for the second time. 

But then there is Scar Symmetry who I think at their best are top tier. I have owned Pitch Black Progress for ages and at some point added Holographic Universe to my collection as well, but I neglected this band after Christian Älvestam left and I certainly haven't spun either of those records as much as they deserve either. Having now also checked out their entire body of work I don't think there is a bad record among their discography and the first of the Singularity albums is surely their best since Älvestam left. Bit concerned for their future though as it took them nearly a decade between the last two albums and earlier this year they lost their lyricist with one album of the Singularity trilogy still to come. 

Some years ago I went through Amon Amarth's work but I don't remember too much about it and of course they have made a few one news since then. They may be next on my list if the MDM kick lasts. Open to other recommendations here as well folk. I've also been listening to early Amorphis and have heard Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates.

In other death metal news, Lascaille's Shroud recently dropped a new album:

His ninth overall but he's been comparatively quiet with this project until this suddenly dropped and is the first LS album since 2021 (when he put out two in the same year). 

Like his fourth album The Tiger's Daughter, this one follows in the tradition of Edge of Sanity's Crimson and is a single 40 minute track. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 7:54pm
^As far as MDM goes, try Starkill! They're pretty good.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 10:47pm
If you can enjoy a more blackened take on melodic death metal I´d recommend both Dissection, Unanimated, and Necrophobic. Otherwise I personally enjoy the albums that At the Gates have released since their comeback.

Edited by UMUR - 15 Apr 2024 at 10:47pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:19am
I know Dissection though it's been a while. I'd say that they were more melodic black metal though except perhaps the last one (which I only know by reputation). 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:33am
Some other MDM bands that may be of interest:

The Black Dahlia Murder
Dethklok
Hypocrisy
Kalmah
Mercenary
Nightrage
Skyfire
Tracedawn

I think you would especially enjoy Mercenary if you like Scar Symmetry. Good stuff.Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:45am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I know Dissection though it's been a while. I'd say that they were more melodic black metal though except perhaps the last one (which I only know by reputation). 

It´s an interesting discussion if Dissection is melodic black/death or blackened melodic death metal. People have very different opinions about it, but personally I tend to sway towards the latter. The same with Unanimated and Necrophobic, who are both similar in sound and style.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:38am
The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are actually considered seminal melodic black metal albums. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 9:09am

The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane are actually considered seminal melodic black metal albums. 

That´s my point...some people consider them that, but personally I don´t think they are black metal albums. I think they are a mix of black and death metal. And I know there are others who agree with me. It´s details of course, but if you think about it Dissection have more in common with melodic death metal than they have to most early 90s black metal (artists like Darkthrone, Mayhem, and early Satyricon sound almost nothing like them).
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:38pm
It's been quite a while since I heard them Jonas so I'll make a point of revisiting them (it's overdue anyway). From what I recall of them I certainly wouldn't deny what those albums owe to both camps, but melodic black metal in general can be quite far removed from the kind of bands you mentioned. There is less emphasis on that raw, cold sound that black metal is known for and there tends to be better production values too. The genre certainly has its similarities to melodeath in the latter respect when put up against old school death metal.

There certainly were early melodic black metal bands and albums that were closer to the early 90s style (Kvist's sole album springs to mind). I believe Dissection's work may qualify as the first true albums of the genre, albeit not in a pure form because of the death metal element. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:46pm
In other death metal stuff I'm also revisiting Nile's catalogue in release order and I have to say I think this is a really underrated record!

To Dream of Ur is a masterpiece in its own right IMO.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Some other MDM bands that may be of interest:

The Black Dahlia Murder
Dethklok
Hypocrisy
Kalmah
Mercenary
Nightrage
Skyfire
Tracedawn

I think you would especially enjoy Mercenary if you like Scar Symmetry. Good stuff.Thumbs Up

Almost missed this. I don't really know any of these bands although have heard of most of them. Cheers for the recs. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 5 minutes ago at 2:55pm

In other death metal stuff I'm also revisiting Nile's catalogue in release order and I have to say I think this is a really underrated record!

To Dream of Ur is a masterpiece in its own right IMO.

Yes it does seem to get overshadowed by later albums, simply because they are so good but no denying this is a quality release.

On the more melodic side you mentioned in your earlier post Adam Soilwork spring immediately to mind with many fine albums under their belts. You Mentioned At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul. Of their later stuff At War With Reality is worth a listen in particular.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 40 minutes ago at 6:20pm
Oh yeah, I forgot all about Soilwork...another noteworthy mention!Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image