Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Blog #3: On Reviewing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 1:26pm
Counter reviews are the very reason I've never posted the longest review I ever wrote. I could never get it to read the way I intended it to, and it was a general counter to something rather than a direct response to one review/person.

I'm talking about Myrkur by the way. Ultimately I just gave up on my review. Adam and Khaliq both also touched on what I was trying to respond to anyway in their reviews - I think that's enough to show that there is a genuine problem with the backlash Myrkur got, especially when you get idiots making things like this:

https://www.facebook.com/myrkurmyrkur/photos/a.272794102908301.1073741827.197207977133581/570824123105296/?type=3&theater
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
That image makes me angry. It's good to see that she takes it in her stride though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Counter reviews are the very reason I've never posted the longest review I ever wrote. I could never get it to read the way I intended it to, and it was a general counter to something rather than a direct response to one review/person.

I'm talking about Myrkur by the way. Ultimately I just gave up on my review. Adam and Khaliq both also touched on what I was trying to respond to anyway in their reviews - I think that's enough to show that there is a genuine problem with the backlash Myrkur got, especially when you get idiots making things like this:

https://www.facebook.com/myrkurmyrkur/photos/a.272794102908301.1073741827.197207977133581/570824123105296/?type=3&theater
Check out this comment by the lady herself...now that´s great humour Clap

Myrkur "Also they are not right about the "no ass", ask anyone who's stood behind me"
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 12:01pm
LOLClap
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:51am
Yes she takes it well, but I still find it sickening the way some people have launched personal attacks against her. Some people have apparently sent her death threats as well. Metalheads often make a big thing about how metal is for everyone, but there's a portion here that are really letting the side down. And she's not the only female I've noticed getting this sort of harassment.

Most of the criticisms she receives don't seem to have anything to do with her actual music. Those that do make little sense given that she plays black metal which isn't exactly known for its virtuosic values. And I personally find her album to be a lot more interesting and unusual in the genre than most black metal is. I sometimes wonder if the people who criticise her even listen to much black metal. Calling her music amateurish seems rather ironic considering some of those early black metal releases. And meanwhile Filosofem is still ranked as the best black metal album of all time on RYM...which if anything has all the same 'flaws' people say Myrkur has, if not more so.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:00am
I happen to like Filosofem but I do get your point. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:35am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Yes she takes it well, but I still find it sickening the way some people have launched personal attacks against her. Some people have apparently sent her death threats as well. Metalheads often make a big thing about how metal is for everyone, but there's a portion here that are really letting the side down. And she's not the only female I've noticed getting this sort of harassment.

Most of the criticisms she receives don't seem to have anything to do with her actual music. Those that do make little sense given that she plays black metal which isn't exactly known for its virtuosic values. And I personally find her album to be a lot more interesting and unusual in the genre than most black metal is. I sometimes wonder if the people who criticise her even listen to much black metal. Calling her music amateurish seems rather ironic considering some of those early black metal releases. And meanwhile Filosofem is still ranked as the best black metal album of all time on RYM...which if anything has all the same 'flaws' people say Myrkur has, if not more so.

I think a lot of the people insulting her are actually black metal fans, as most black metal fans I've seen on other sites are among the most elitist of fans. I've seen some particularly disgusting Youtube comments on some of her videos, including one person who literally was saying she wasn't "Trve" (Actually said this, and not ironically) because she used to be a model and in a pop group.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:33pm
I was being semi-sarcastic. I know full well how so called 'trve' and 'kvlt' black metal fans can be (bad spellers for a start) and I know its them who give her such grief as a person. They do the same sort of thing with any black metal act that they deem too trendy (like Deafheaven). Which is why its kinda of ironic that the Myrkur image I posted has 'no trends' written on it. So what are they actually saying? That's she's not trendy enough?

My point was more about how those who at least try to bring her music into it don't actually offer up any decent argument to support why it's supposedly such garbage. Calling it amateur when an album like Filosofem is so well regarded rubs me up the wrong way. Filosofem is so minimalist every song sounds like you're listening to the same few bars of music over and over for each track's duration. Yet on RYM it's the top rated black metal album. How is that okay by them and Myrkur isn't? Because what it looks like to me is for church burning murdering racists like Varg Vikernes and for a woman who if you think about it did the exact opposite of selling out by moving from pop to black metal (if you want to play it without considering the music, as these elitists seem to).

And saying she's not true is bollocks as well. I reckon that they'd criticise her just the same even if she followed the early Mayhem/Darkthrone template by the book. In fact I've seen some calling her a copycat artist as it is, which is even more stupid as anyone whose heard her music can surely tell it's pretty far removed from Mayhem, Darkthrone and even well know atmospheric black metal like Burzum. Ulver's first is probably what M is closest to but I still don't see it as any kind of a rip off. No more than every B grade black metal act out there has ripped off Mayhem and Darkthrone or whoever in some way.

Fortunately the people here are not like this.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:47pm
Yeah, the only argument about the music I've seen other than the "trve" and "kvlt" comments are about it being a rip-off as well. I just don't get it, not only is she one of the best black metal musicians I've heard, but it's also among the most unique black metal I've heard. I try to ignore it, assholes will be assholes, although it can be hard to ignore when it becomes so wide-spread (I'm looking at you elitists who say Metallica didn't do anything and are sell-outs).
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image