MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByteBlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Rock
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 8:03am
I am not good at explaining things. So, here is little intro about genre copied from wiki.

Post-rock is a musical genre characterized by the use of instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbres, and chord progressions not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock musicians typically produce instrumental music.

Bands Recommended:
Red Sparowes
God Is An Astronaut
Tortoise
Mogwai
Caspian
GYBE
If These Trees Could Talk
Pelican
Koala
Explosion In The Sky
Sigur Ros

I will add others later.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
I have yet to go for the REAL post rock bands

But i have two albums by that then New Wave / Synth rock band Talk Talk which stedaly but drastic move towards Post Rock (they are even loocked upon as THE founder of post rock)

I also have a Post Rock album by Japans vocalist David Sylvian which I have yet to enjoy fully

David Sylvian - Manafon

Edited by Balthamel - 31 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 8:50am
Post Rock is a hit-and-miss genre from me. I haven't heard the albums from many of the "giants" of the genre, but I still own a decent amount of post rock. Sometimes this can be extremely beautiful, atmospheric music, and sometimes it can be boring as hell. I'm not a huge fan, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
ByteBlock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByteBlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:01am
@Balthamel: I need to check those two. Thanks !

Boring?? I don't find it...but i guess it may sound to someone. Long song with repetative music may be boring as hell. I listen to Post rock to freshen up my mood. Check God Is An Astronaut, if you haven't already. Atmospheric music at it best imo.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Post Rock is a hit-and-miss genre from me. I haven't heard the albums from many of the "giants" of the genre, but I still own a decent amount of post rock. Sometimes this can be extremely beautiful, atmospheric music, and sometimes it can be boring as hell. I'm not a huge fan, though.

I�m with Jeff here. I�ve heard some truly moving and beautiful post rock albums, but also some that left me completely cold. The kind where my attention wanders after the first song.

I�ve had great experiences with both Sigur Ros and Mogwai though. Especially the former have really impressed me.

Edited by UMUR - 31 Oct 2010 at 9:27am
ByteBlock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ByteBlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:35am
Sigur Ros type....If you want to try, Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You , Mono
These are the bands right now i can think off.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I�m with Jeff here. I�ve heard some truly moving and beautiful post rock albums, but also some that left me completely cold. The kind where my attention wanders after the first song.

I�ve had great experiences with both Sigur Ros and Mogwai though. Especially the former have really impressed me.

Believe it or not, I still haven't checked out any Sigur Ros. I definitely have to do that at some point...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 10:15am

You can�t go wrong with this one:

This one might require a bit more patience but IMO it�s even more rewarding:
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 1:35pm
^Two of my favourite albums of all time Hug I love Sigur R�s with all my heart, some other post rock bands I like are Magyar Posse, Mogwai (mainly just Mr Beast), Godspeed You! Black Emperor (seeing them in January, yay), New Century Classics, and at least to some extent for example A Silver Mt. Zion and Explosions in the Sky. Hit and miss for me too, lots of good stuff in there anyway.
<- Click on this!
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 10:12am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

that, plus:

and:

= among the best albums ever!

Other than those artists, I haven't found anything much spectacular from the genre. But, once again, there's a lot to discover. Other worthy titles to name would be Explosions in the Sky (at least the 2007 is pretty good), Grails (at least the 2003 album), Russian Circles, The Evpatoria Report, Yndi Halda.... Hmm, can't remember all now. The discovery continues...

Edited by Vehemency - 01 Nov 2010 at 10:13am
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

A Silver Mt. Zion
Oh, this group released a great album early this year, almost forgot it... Haven't really listened to their earlier outputs, but at least the newest was really enjoyable, even with all the weird vocals.

And damn you with your GYBE tickets. Stern Smile Big smile
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:16pm
Post Rock can be really, severely dull. When I want atmospherics I go hunting for my Vangelis and Jean Michelle Jarre records... In the end it's all just my personal opinion though. The genre name scares me, like 'post grunge', it makes it sound like the parent genre in question is a thing of the past...rock isn't dead!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 10:58am
Tarentel (they're from Frisco)

Sweek and Cecilia::Eyes are both from the French-speaking part of Belgium

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Post Rock can be really, severely dull. When I want atmospherics I go hunting for my Vangelis and Jean Michelle Jarre records... In the end it's all just my personal opinion though. The genre name scares me, like 'post grunge', it makes it sound like the parent genre in question is a thing of the past...rock isn't dead!

Good point there.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 12:27am
Megabump.  Can't believe I didn't see this topic before...

It's my favorite genre of music.  To me, there's nothing more emotionally gripping than a well-written post-rock song.  Bands like Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros taught me to actually listen instead of just hear (if that makes any sense), and acted as a gateway for other amazing genres like ambient and shoegaze.  I love my metal and prog, but I've never connected with another genre like I have with post-rock.  It inspires me to write, read, and just think like nothing else can.

And for those who say post-rock is repetitive or boring, I strongly disagree.  Maybe the whole build-up to a climax premise is overdone, but many of these bands have their own distinct styles that are instantly recognizable if you know your way around the genre.  Each one sort of has their own feeling associated with it.  Here are some of my favorites, I'll try to explain what I mean:

Trees, obviously.  This song makes me think of looking at a forest from a bird's eye view...or maybe from the top of a tree instead.  Hopefully it's a happier image than the album art portrays.

Makes me think of sitting outside at night, watching the northern lights.  I wish I lived in an area where I could actually do that.

I used to listen to this song all the time during my first semester in college, so now it's associated with that time period more than anything else.  Kind of feels like I'm water skiing or going really fast in a motorboat (which is odd because I hate both of those things).

This one's really melancholic.  It just makes me feel like something that used to be somewhere is now missing.  Hard to explain what.

The piano in this song (especially in the ending) gives off the impression of falling snow.  Not a blizzard, just a peaceful snowfall.

Love, affection, warmth, etc.  Just an overall happy tune, and probably my favorite out of this bunch.

Anyway, there are a lot more, but I hope that post got my point across.  LOVE THIS GENRE.

Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 8:02am
Personally, my absolute favourite post-rock album is the debut album by A Silver Mt. Zion - they really nailed the whole post-apocalyptic vibe which Godspeed kept going for.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 8:23am
When music becomes too ambient, repetitive and building towards climaxes I�m usually bored to death, so I usually prefer post-rock which is a bit more action packed. I�ve listened to one Godspeed album and despite some gorgeous moments of haunting beauty I was bored really fast. I guess it�s an aquired taste I just don�t have the patience for.Smile

Edited by UMUR - 26 Mar 2012 at 8:23am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 3:12am
I like a few post rock bands

GY!BE
God Is an Astronaut
Long Distance Calling
pg lost
Sigur Ros
Consciousness Removal Project
Collapse Under the Empire
If These Trees Could Talk
Semiosis
We Lost the Sea

Edited by LittleBig - 29 Nov 2015 at 3:15am