Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Speed Kills albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Speed Kills albums
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 3:27am
I've just found my copy of the original Speed Kills album from 1985 (I even wrote in the date I bought it- 4 September 1990!), and I thought I'd copy out the liner notes just to show what people used to think of metal (all the capitalisation and grammar is theirs, not mine):

SPEED METAL. OK so where did it all begin? Well in theory you’ve got to go back to the early developments of Heavy Metal because in reality Speed Metal is the modern day extreme in a trend that was first pioneered by the likes of VANILLA FUDGE, DEEP PURPLE, CREAM, THE STOOGES, and BLUE CHEER. Whilst it could be said that the original “Punk” Bands such as the TROGGS and ELECTRIC PRUNES are responsible for the hardcore element of today’s metal scene.

Anyway cutting all the technicalities, few would argue that it is San Francisco’s METALLICA who have been responsible for giving metal a much needed kick up the backside by becoming the first speed metal band to gain commercial acceptance. Of course in the early days “Power Metal” was the name given to METALLICA and all exponents of Speed Metal, a label that has branched out, amongst other things, into “Death Metal” and more recently “Thrash Metal” where SLAYER have paved the way towards the ultimate blend of Speed Metal and Hardcore Punk.

The past couple of years have seen the emergence of much worthy new talent on both sides of the Atlantic, with those who saw METALLICA, SLAYER and VENOM as influences, have started to tread the path of metallic fame. Both the music press and major record companies too are taking a more serious view of the music and as a result Speed Metal is beginning to form a larger and more healthier part of today’s Heavy Metal scene. No longer is it restricted to the cult status of its beginning in the tape decks of the global underground demo traders or the clubs of San Francisco or Eindhoven in Holland, although it would be true to say that Speed Metal still has a long way to go.

Music For Nations in their infinite wisdom have assembled an album of some of today’s current faves, and “Speed Kills” contains twelve of the best examples of Speed and Thrash Metal performed by some of the finest exponents of the art.

Hopefully this album will get picked up by not just the “Speed Freak” but by your average Heavy Metal fan who believes metal begins and ends with IRON MAIDEN and STATUS QUO. The album should also appeal to the mass of Hardcore Punks to whom the whole idea of Thrash equally owes its roots.

So where do we go from here? Well with the recent Punk infiltration into the current metal scene, it wouldn’t be a wild guessto predict that a more sick or gross emphasis will be put into the lyriucal content i.e. S.O.D., The Mentors etc…. which will probably push the hardcore element back into obscurity.

But whatever the future beholds, names like METALLICA and SLAYER will go down in history for taking the meaning of metal and energy into new boundaries of technical brilliance.

WARNING: Those of a nervous disposition should stay clear of this album for once played in your vicinity you are likely to degenerate into a mental and physical wreck, i.e. You’ll be hooked!

DAVE CONSTABLE/BERNARD DOE – METAL FORCES

This is from the Speed Kills II album (1986). It's the tracklisting with a comment about each song:

Agent Steel - The Calling / Agents Of Steel (The hot tip for fame in ’86 with true speed from their debut offering)
Razor - Evil Invaders (Canada’s answer to Slayer – immense guitar and vocal sound)
Bathory - Possessed (A Swedish one man blur – zero melody)
Helloween - Ride The Sky (Not mere Maiden clones – one of Europe’s most talented and original speed merchants)
Living Death - Hellpike (Remix) (Great new version from a band at first spoiled by lousy production)
Sodom - Sepulchural Voice (The highest velocity band in the known universe – shame the drummer got left behind)
Whiplash - Warmonger (Intense offering from one of ‘86’s best thrash LP’s)
Iron Angel - Rush Of Power (Doe-esque metal – controlled mayhem)
Destructor - Pounding Evil (New Version) (Brand new version, for speed kills 2 only, of the best song on Maximum Destruction)
Onslaught - Fight With The Beast (The best thrash band in the U.K. – in the Slayer mould, but Onslaught totally kill)
Brainfever - Brainfever (Remix) (Special remix for this album from one of Europe’s most distinctive high-energy bands)
Anthrax - Gung-Ho (Time to mosh kiddies – the kings of U.S. speed metal)

And this is the same from Speed Kills III, along with a note at the end:

Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force ‘Ready for contact… Your head that is. Serious Atlantis Metal’ 
Death - The Unholy Grave ‘Blur Mayhem. Modern Venom still choking on gravel’
Heathen – Heathen ‘Previously unreleased anthem – ‘Frisco never sounded so good!’
Possessed – Séance ‘The original toy boy thrash band. Too fast for a D.B. to catch’
English Dogs - The Eye Of Shamahn ‘Tolkien meets Metallica in the gutter. Brilliant conceptual techno-mosh’
Bathory - Of Doom...’Sweden’s finest – Deserve to be as big as ABBA’
Death Angel - Mistress Of Pain ‘Rush on speed – Count those riffs. 39..40..41 Whoosh’
Onslaught - Onslaught (Power From Hell) ‘Oldie but goodie – The best of British’
Nuclear Assault - Cross Of Iron ‘The ultimate speedcore band. N.A. piss all over Anthrax’
Holy Terror - Tomorrow's End ‘Nightmares on wax… Music that gives you the shits. New y-fronts please!’
Sacrilege – Insurrection ‘Doom Death. Unavailable elsewhere. Killer track from one of the UK’s finest’
Dark Angel - Merciless Death ‘Slayer’s closest rivals. Unbelievable speed and heaviness from start to finish’

It’s been a while since the evil folk at MFN brought out the last ‘Speed Kills’ collection, and much has happened to the Thrash Metal genre since then. When the first one came out, Metallica were the only band of this ilk to be enjoying worldwide chart success; now we’ve got Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metal Church all becoming a force to be reckoned with. Just as importantly, both print and broadcast media have begun to take the music seriously, realizing that it ain’t gonna fade away like Disco or New Romanticism. Metal, whether it be Thrash or otherwise, lives up to its name: solid and unyielding stuff.
What we have here is a sampler of scorchers from the bands of the ‘Second Wave’: those groups who are snapping hard at the heels of their more established brothers for a share of the spotlight. Some are older, some are new, but all are possessed by the same need: to make the fastest, heaviest, most intense music around. I love ‘em all, and I know you will too.
-Don Kaye/Kerrang!

Edited by Vim Fuego - 17 Oct 2015 at 3:28am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 3:30am
And this is a review of Razor's "Evil Invaders" from Speed Kills III, which was printed on the record sleeve. There are several more reviews, but I haven't copied them out yet.

Razor – Evil Invaders (Viper/Roadrunner)

This is RAZOR’s third release in little over a year and completes the band’s progression through speed metal territory as the Canadian quartet go the whole hog and produce an album of total unrelentless thrash.

Apart from maybe “Iron Hammer”, where there are still touches of the bands early MOTORHEAD influences, “Evil Invaders” has SLAYER stamped all over it. But RAZOR should not be dismissed as mere copyists as they still have a lot to offer in their own right.

As an instrumental you may think the opening of “Nowhere Fast” lacks a guitar solo of any note, but this machine gun attack is merely setting the pace for the intense onslaught you’re about to behold.

“Legacy Of Doom” and the superb “Speed Merchants” are the natural thrash successors to the bands classic “Take This Torch”, while Dave Carlo shows his true metal on the likes of “Instant Death” and the title track as he grinds his axe around the frantic rhythm laid down by bassist Mike Campagnolo and drummer M-Bro. Not forgetting the distinctive vocal style of Sheepdog.

“Cross Me Fool”, “Cut Throat”, “Tortured Skull”… It’s all lethal stuff, but perhaps none more so than the ultimate “Thrashdance” which is destined to become an underground metal anthem.

Simply “Evil Invaders” is one of THE classic thrash metal albums. Need I say more?

-Bernard Doe
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 7:16am

Love that old school info, and yeah I seem to remember that Metallica was actually labelled speed metal when they first appeared.

I got this one on vinyl:
VARIOUS ARTISTS (GENERAL) - Speed Kills 5 - Head Crushing Metal cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/various-artists-general/speed-kills-5-head-crushing-metal
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:00am
Nice info, it's cool to read stuff from the early days of speed, thrash, and death metal. I can see why 'Kill 'em All' would be labeled speed metal. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic