MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - In which way have Steve Lukather influenced metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In which way have Steve Lukather influenced metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In which way have Steve Lukather influenced metal
    Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:45pm

I think of him as a transition guitarist, he bridges the 70s way of playing guitar and the 80s heavy guitar style, he is also one pioneers in sweep picking and fast movement of the pick up and down the neck,

Just listen to the solos of Hold the Line, Rockmaker, and You are the Flower from the debut album fast, melodic and precise sweep picking techniques.

On way I thing he style as it is are influential or fresh (back in 78), was that he's style incorporated three styles Jazz-chords, jazz style soloing, flamenco style, metal style, (fast precise), Holdworth, Larry Charlton, Jeff Beck styles are incorporated in he's style.

also in the 90s he was not death to how guitar was played then he learned both from grunge (he liked Soundgarden), and what grunge brought in guitar playing (hard heavy blues guitar riffs, repeated over and over in a groove, with a gruff style, Luke incorporated that as well in he's tool book ,

Jazz style, Latin style, blues/psych style, metal style and now the grunge style (so just as the 90s was in it childlike stage, Lukather was already in tune with the time (or even a bit of a pioneer even then),

What do you think of that? Is he relevant in the evolution of metalguitar technique

Edited by Balthamel - 22 Oct 2010 at 7:49pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:57am
how influential are Steve Lukather on the metal guitar development

is he a pioneer on sweep technique, is he's fast heavy yet melodius style in anyway bin an influence to other guitarists

me personaly, like hes rythemguitar playing better then the soloing, he sometime gets to carried away on he's solo, and doessent seem to take it seriosly enough for me to enjoy
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:02am
I'm not really familiar with his style, but I did just buy Toto's Toto IV, my first Toto album. Love some tracks from back in the day when I was seven years old, now it's time to get to know the band better.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 8:14am
I�ve mostly listened to the first two albums by Toto, but I�m not terribly familiar with anything else but those two albums and the "hits".
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 11:29am

he's strongest album where he's guitar work is most pressent is on Turn Back, Isolation and Kingdom Desire, here you can hear he's technique is under a development, he's guitar work on Isolation album is blistering and very agressive and loud, fast, sweeping and great riffage, Kingdom of Desire is closest Toto comes to Alternative rock/metal, heavy guiar riffs, mixed with west-coast/AOR musicanship, Turn Back is a very intersting album, (bad production) but the songs are origenal and strange for Toto, three, four semi neo-prog tunes, semiconcept album.

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:29pm
i don't know how or if Steve Lukather influenced metal, maybe some progressive metal guitarists, I dunno.

I like Toto and really love Steve Lukather; he is a very skilled and talented guitarist, just listen to his collaboration with Derek Sherinian and also his solo albums are surprisingly good. And besides his guitar work, the guy can surely sing.

Edited by LittleBig - 07 Feb 2011 at 6:41pm
The Glove of Love View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Glove of Love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 7:35pm
This was pretty sweet, the dude can damn-well play. The guy gets lots of sweet licks off on Toto's Isolation album.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:21am
Lukather can play his ass off...but I doubt he had very much influence on Metal as a genre. If anything, he was influenced by some of the same guitarists as Metal players, like Hendrix... he just went in a different direction with it.

Edited by Pelata - 08 Feb 2011 at 7:22am
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Pelata Pelata wrote:

Lukather can play his ass off...but I doubt he had very much influence on Metal as a genre. If anything, he was influenced by some of the same guitarists as Metal players, like Hendrix... he just went in a different direction with it.

what I mean to say or to convay is that Luke might be the one that Crossed over, the guitarist that bridged the 70s way of playing guitat (and skill), with the mid 80s heavy metal shredding technique, (with Eddy van Halen who is Lukes best friend),

Lukes way of playing + his abilaty and that he is well verced in theorie and styles of guitar playing, + attitude and persona (hyperactive, energic yet soulfull), makes him feel like (to me) as he both have the herritage of the 60s, 70s guitar legends, Gilmoure, Hendrix, Harrison, Page, Clapton and Beck, the prog and jazz guitarist, L Charlton, DiMeola, Hoelsworth (something), Howe, Fripp, and Hackett, but he early (maybe by instinct and by the roules within Toto which said that show-of and overlong selfindulgent was frowend upon), made he simplyfy or intenceify his playing to more tighter, wich yelded that it became heavier and more intence, which style is similar to the 80s heavy metal/rock style (remember Lukes style is a mix of Classical training, jazz, blues, rock and fusion), and lots of 80s heavy guitar is classical inspired (more then blues), and teases with jazz, which fell natural to Luke (and Toto), Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen and play classicaly (or barcqoue, romanitic  music),
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:41pm
the guitar solo on this song are good exemple

also the solo here (I wish it was the studio version but could not find it)

but it is early enough to be relevant to the thread

Bryan Adams borrowed parts of this song to summer of 69

Edited by Balthamel - 08 Feb 2011 at 5:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic