Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What languages do you speak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What languages do you speak?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 5:44pm
Self-explanatory if you happen to speak English.. <bah-dum-tsss>
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 6:48pm
i the egnlish speeke
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:09am
English, Spanish, and some words in Nahuatl  Big smile
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:10am
Danish (which includes understanding Swedish and Norwegian too, as they are related languages), English, some German, a Little French.

Edited by UMUR - 01 Nov 2014 at 1:52pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 7:31am
English only.

Rudimentary Spanish from 2 high school classes and 1 college class, but all were over 20 years ago and never used and mostly forgotten since then.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:01pm
I know a few words and phrases in other languages but it feels odd to say that I speak them.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:21pm
English, French, a handful of phrases in Russian
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

i the egnlish speeke
frist post

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

English, French, a handful of phrases in Russian

Awesome, where did you learn French? Is this obligatory because of... well, Quebec? 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:00pm
No, but it's common here for people to do "french immersion" where most of your core classes are in french for elementary and jr high school (grades 1-9).  By no means a requirement
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:10pm
^ I see. Man, that's awesome.

I speak Polish (yay, so useful!), English, French and understand most of Spanish (same family as French) but I by no means can have a decent conversation in this language. I want to learn German or Swedish... are there any Swedes here? Let me know!! LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 3:58pm
Swedish is closely related to Danish and if I concentrate I can have a fairly reasonable conversation with a Swede, but I´m afraid I´m not skilled enough to teach you LOL
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:02pm
I speak English, a little French, and a little Japanese

I want to learn Latin Tongue
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:03pm
English, some Spanish, and Hungarian (my mother tongue), used to learn German, Italian and Russian but most part they're gone in mistSmile
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Swedish is closely related to Danish and if I concentrate I can have a fairly reasonable conversation with a Swede, but I´m afraid I´m not skilled enough to teach you LOL
no problem, Jonas Tongue It's the same with Polish and Czech for me, I guess. Apparently Czech people understand us better than we understand them, though. I've been thinking about a reason behind that phenomenon a lot! No idea LOL

Could you type something in Danish? For instance: "I love metal music. My socks smell like chicken stew. Down with the system!" 

Or whatever you prefer.

Edited by bartosso - 01 Nov 2014 at 4:08pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I speak English, a little French, and a little Japanese

I want to learn Latin Tongue

The Latin Lover!!! Tongue

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 6:35am

Another interesting thing: this guy has deliberately decided to skip English, he speaks 16 (or 30 or whatever, that's not possible anyway) languages but no English Tongue 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:39am
I'm somewhat of a polyglot. Other than English i speak Spanish and German very well. I studied Russian for three years and French and Italian for one. French i kept up on my own but Italian not so much but i can still read it very well with a dictionary.  Having travelled through Europe many times i made it a point to learn the grammar and basic vocabulary of the official languages of the countries i went through. So i know a bit of Dutch, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian but really got to learn some Polish because i spent the  most time in Poland. The good thing about Slavic languages is that the grammar is almost identical and it's only necessary to learn vocabulary. Ten years ago i decided to learn Finnish, Georgian and Hindi because i deemed them complex languages and thought it sounded exotic. I scrapped that after a while realizing it was silly and then decided it would be better to learn Asian languages so i started Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. I also started Korean but that ended quickly. After a while of that i dropped all the scatter brained language accumulation and decided i wanted to be more fluent in a few languages so focused back on Spanish and German as well as my own tongue of English. I have also read grammar books of a few dozen other languages just to get a taste of them. The more languages you know the more patterns you see so reading becomes easier than speaking. I can read Portuguese, Romanian and most Romance languages etc. Wish i could speak all these languages as well as the guys in the video! That's amazing!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I'm somewhat of a polyglot. Other than English i speak Spanish and German very well. I studied Russian for three years and French and Italian for one. French i kept up on my own but Italian not so much but i can still read it very well with a dictionary.  Having travelled through Europe many times i made it a point to learn the grammar and basic vocabulary of the official languages of the countries i went through. So i know a bit of Dutch, Hungarian, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian but really got to learn some Polish because i spent the  most time in Poland. The good thing about Slavic languages is that the grammar is almost identical and it's only necessary to learn vocabulary. Ten years ago i decided to learn Finnish, Georgian and Hindi because i deemed them complex languages and thought it sounded exotic. I scrapped that after a while realizing it was silly and then decided it would be better to learn Asian languages so i started Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. I also started Korean but that ended quickly. After a while of that i dropped all the scatter brained language accumulation and decided i wanted to be more fluent in a few languages so focused back on Spanish and German as well as my own tongue of English. I have also read grammar books of a few dozen other languages just to get a taste of them. The more languages you know the more patterns you see so reading becomes easier than speaking. I can read Portuguese, Romanian and most Romance languages etc. Wish i could speak all these languages as well as the guys in the video! That's amazing!!!!

Clap

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 10:38am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Wow, 4 foreign languages? that's quite a feat. Don't waste your time on Polish though. It's very messy grammar-wise, mostly because Polish people were deprived of their country for 123 years and therefore the evolution of Polish was hampered. Besides it's one of the most inflected Slavic languages which makes it even less susceptible to simplification. Avoid at all costs.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 10:43am

[/QUOTE]
Wow, 4 foreign languages? that's quite a feat. Don't waste your time on Polish though. It's very messy grammar-wise, mostly because Polish people were deprived of their country for 123 years and therefore the evolution of Polish was hampered. Besides it's one of the most inflected Slavic languages which makes it even less susceptible to simplification. Avoid at all costs.
[/QUOTE]

Czeszcz
Too late. I already stuffed a lot of Polish in my head when i visited for three months and circumnavigated the entire country. I took three years of Russian and Polish grammar is almost identical. It's the vocabulary that sets it apart. Ironically if you know Russian and Polish you essentially know Ukrainian because it is a mix of the two. I actually loved Poland and the people as well as the language. I really loved lody i frytki there as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic