MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Black Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Symphonic Black Metal
    Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 11:44am
I would like to know of bands similar to Dimmu Borgir and with vocals like Simen Hestn�s "Vortex" operatic, epic and big production.

I only hve In Sorte Diaboli

and Vreid with the album Milorg (not 100% symphonic but epic and melodic)

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 2:27pm
I'm assuming you've tried Emperor, right? LOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:24pm

nope, (im ashamed but im a noob when it comes to black-metal) but I saw a docu about them and I found them to be interesting.

Probably gonna check them out since black metal is so available in my country and realy is our biggest legacy together with Grieg and A-ha in music worldwide, now as A-ha is about to rail in their sails, Dimmu Borgir is Norways most sold artist worldwide

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:28pm
Old Man�s Child and Borknagar comes to mind but really! There are tons of bands in that style. Melodic and at times symphonic black metal. Early Arcturus might interest you as well. Keep of Kalessin might be another band of interest to you.

Edited by UMUR - 27 Sep 2010 at 3:29pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

nope, (im ashamed but im a noob when it comes to black-metal) but I saw a docu about them and I found them to be interesting.

Probably gonna check them out since black metal is so available in my country and realy is our biggest legacy together with Grieg and A-ha in music worldwide, now as A-ha is about to rail in their sails, Dimmu Borgir is Norways most sold artist worldwide

Yeah Emperor's really great. I've actually only discovered them in the last year or so myself...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:40pm
^ listen to some Youtube clips now and like it, the choier synths I like very much, add some texture and epicness, very aggressive and Dark music just like the winter season at home
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:41pm
Emperor is indeed phenomenal, and far better than better than anything Dimmu Borgir has done. I would highly recommend Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor, followed by In the Nightside Eclipse.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:45pm
the Euro vission songcontest band Keep of Kallesin

but yes they are probably mye cup of tea, melodic, epic, symphonic black metal that also have good production which i think is nice so you can hear what they are playing.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:21am
Yeah that was pretty odd when Keep of Kalessin decided to participate in the Euro Vision contestTongue, but for my money they are pretty much a vanilla black metal act, so I wasn�t too surprised. Taste is taste though and if you enjoy Dimmu Borgir you might enjoy Keep of Kalessin too.

Oh and I third the Emperor recommendation. Especially "In the Nightside Eclipse" has won me over. The rest of their stuff might be more original but it�s definitely an aquired taste if you�re able of cope with the chaotic synths. I think the last three albums by the band are a very demanding listen and while they are high quality albums I�m not particularly a fan.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Sep 2010 at 1:27pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 6:54am
Dimmu have said that they had not refused if they were asked to try Euro Vision, not for the cocepts sake but for undertake another chalange, they don't paricurlarly like the contest but if they were asked to do it they would just take it as a new goal and as they are so popular in Europe they could actualy win if they got to the finale.

Edited by Balthamel - 28 Sep 2010 at 6:54am
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:22pm
Catamenia is a band from Finland who played melodic black metal on their first albums. Later, they changed their style to melodic death/gothic metal.

Early Agathodaimon played symphonic black metal.

Siebenburgen is a band from Stockholm, Sweden who play melodic black metal with female vocals

Some other bands who play Symphonic Black Metal are: Lord, Vinterfrost, early In the Woods..., and Immanifest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image