MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Penalty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's your stance on capital punishment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
10 [90.91%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Death Penalty
    Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:30am
As usual, elaborate, please.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:47am
It depends.  I am generally against the death penalty; however, in situations when there is no doubt to who a murderer is I am far less against the use of the death penalty.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:51am
It's hard for me to pick an option here, because I do think sometimes some people are better off dead. The problem is though, people can get blackmailed and blamed for a crime they didn't do.

I think there are places for it, but it should only be used if someone is absolutely certain that the person is guilty. Some people do get off way too easily though in our current society. 

EDIT: I don't believe in lethal injection, nobody should suffer like that. What I do believe in is the death penalty if it's a gun to the head. Then it's quick, and gone with no prolonged pain. 

Edited by Unitron - 17 Oct 2014 at 11:58am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:55am
On moral, political, religious or logical grounds it runs counter to everything I believe in. On a non-judgemental basis, it serves no purpose than to allow us to beat our chests manfully. No deterrent, more expensive and little protection for anyone else. But at least we've made the bastards suffer for what (we hope) they've done. Especially if we use the wrong type of injection or if we stick them in a chair.
Sorry but I'm an opinionated git. :-)
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

On moral, political, religious or logical grounds it runs counter to everything I believe in. On a non-judgemental basis, it serves no purpose than to allow us to beat our chests manfully. No deterrent, more expensive and little protection for anyone else. But at least we've made the bastards suffer for what (we hope) they've done. Especially if we use the wrong type of injection or if we stick them in a chair.
Sorry but I'm an opinionated git. :-)
I agree 100%. I'm against with no exceptions. 

EDIT: Although religious grounds are out in my case.

Edited by bartosso - 17 Oct 2014 at 12:10pm
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:07pm
I guess it is a sign of our advancing civilisation that we reject "eye for an eye" punishment.

I have watched TV programs that have broadcast cases where the death penalty was carried out on an innocent person, it is difficult not to feel uneasy about it. I have also watched and read about crimes where they are so heinous you wonder why they are allowed to live.

I do sit on the fence, therefore.

Having said all that, if a similar act was committed on any of my children I would serve the death penalty, personally.

For once that is not easier said than done.

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It depends.  I am generally against the death penalty; however, in situations when there is no doubt to who a murderer is I am far less against the use of the death penalty.

This. 

Someone who becomes a repeat offender(meaning that they have killed multiple times) should be given less of a chance to live. I know it sounds harsh but if the person is hellbent on being a murderer we have to do something about it
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:48pm
One question: Should it be all about punishing people, or socializing them so they never do this again? And if there's no way to rehabilitate them, then just keep them from harming anyone else. No need to kill anyone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

One question: Should it be all about punishing people, or socializing them so they never do this again? And if there's no way to rehabilitate them, then just keep them from harming anyone else. No need to kill anyone.

That's up for debate

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Having said all that, if a similar act was committed on any of my children I would serve the death penalty, personally.

For once that is not easier said than done.

If someone "hurt" one of mine, I know damn well I'd hunt them down, and take the punishment coming. Which is why we place justice out of the hands of the man in the street and serve it dispassionately.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:10pm

By the way, I voted against the death penalty

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 17 Oct 2014 at 3:10pm

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:32pm
There are definitely different levels:

To me, a monster who walks into a school or shopping mall, etc. and starts opening fire indiscriminately who is caught in the act and lives to tell about it deserves the death penalty. 

Situations like this where there is no doubt who the perpetrator is I don't really have a problem with the death penalty.  The exception to this situation might be the case where there is no doubt the person did it but they did it because someone had kidnapped their child and would kill them unless they committed this atrocity.  I would probably still give them a life sentence though because despite the unenviable situation it still isn't an excuse to kill other innocent people.

On the other hand, situations where a body is found and there are no eyewitnesses and the suspect is someone who is convicted based on circumstantial evidence, if the suspect vehemently denies committing the crime but is convicted anyways, I am more likely to error on the side of caution and that person away for life.        -  The majority of murders probably fall into this category. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

There are definitely different levels:

To me, a monster who walks into a school or shopping mall, etc. and starts opening fire indiscriminately who is caught in the act and lives to tell about it deserves the death penalty. 

Situations like this where there is no doubt who the perpetrator is I don't really have a problem with the death penalty.  The exception to this situation might be the case where there is no doubt the person did it but they did it because someone had kidnapped their child and would kill them unless they committed this atrocity.  I would probably still give them a life sentence though because despite the unenviable situation it still isn't an excuse to kill other innocent people.

On the other hand, situations where a body is found and there are no eyewitnesses and the suspect is someone who is convicted based on circumstantial evidence, if the suspect vehemently denies committing the crime but is convicted anyways, I am more likely to error on the side of caution and that person away for life.        -  The majority of murders probably fall into this category. 

Agreed Clap

This is basically how I feel.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:05pm
I can't think of any reason why I would support the death penalty personally.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 9:24pm
Costs more money than imprisonment for life and has a chance of killing innocent people.  Even if I were a bloodthirsty neocon piece of shit I couldn't support it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Costs more money than imprisonment for life and has a chance of killing innocent people.  Even if I were a bloodthirsty neocon piece of shit I couldn't support it.

Clap

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:28am
Too many cases of innocents being convicted, law enforcement misconduct and the like. How can a society say killing is wrong and then kill? Prison sounds like a worse punishment any ways
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:53am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Too many cases of innocents being convicted, law enforcement misconduct and the like. How can a society say killing is wrong and then kill? Prison sounds like a worse punishment any ways

It definitely does, taking freedom is in a way harsher than taking life. I remember however how people were shocked by how short the sentence for Breivik was. It seems in Norway it's not about punishment but rather about rehabilitating the convict, which is a good thing in my opinion. I can't see how they want to fix this fucker, though. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Good point Clap

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 7:31am

Answer: Happy with that but not paying for their upkeep. Do I let the appropriate governments know you're happy to pay for them all?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic