MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your stance on piracy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's your stance on piracy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
3 [33.33%]
1 [11.11%]
3 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your stance on piracy?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 10:57am
Elaborate on your votes, please.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:10am
I'm personally completely for it. Sometimes it's necessary when there is an album I want that I can't find anywhere else. Confused 

Maybe I shouldn't have said it was the best thing ever though, because it's not in my opinion. LOL

Edited by Unitron - 24 Oct 2014 at 6:13pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:18am
So, you'd rather pick the fourth option, right? 

And just one more thing to all of you: we're talking about piracy in general (movies, games, books) not just music.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:19am
There's plenty of free-to-download music out there without pirating. If an artist wants (and is completely right to expect) compensation for sharing the results of his labour with you, it's theft to take it without payment. Iit's not really different from shoplifting.

I know lots of people do it (I understand why, and it's not for me to judge), but I don't partake of illegal downloads. I mostly buy physical products anyway, which causes its own problems (the wife's forced me to crate up my 2k+ CDs and stuff them in a big cupboard, which makes owning the physical product kind of pointless Cry).

However, I do agree that the world is unequal enough already. But that's enough of my lefty politics Wink

Edited by Bosh66 - 15 Oct 2014 at 11:20am
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

EDIT: Maybe I should of asked this first, does youtube-mp3 count as piracy? That's what I do, I never use pirating sites.
It's softcore piracy LOL ohoh so funny. Anyway, yes, I think people who upload music on YT without permission are technically pirates. And people who listen to it on YT... well, what difference does it really make if you download it or just stream it? I'm not sure, there's some difference I guess. I know that many artists consider it a good way to get free advertising, though. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:34am
Well, I don't like to buy something unless I've heard it first. So I will listen to an album on Youtube or Grooveshark to determine if I want to shell out 15 or 20 bucks on an album. Sometimes it is tough to get albums by obscure bands though, so that's when I download from YT. Also, what if you only like one song from an album? I know I wouldn't pay full price for an album that only has one song I like. Tongue

Games and Movies wise, never done it, never will. Most of the PC games I play I can get on Steam for relatively cheap, and for the old console games I play, they can get expensive, but I still can usually find them for a decent price. PS2 games are dirt cheap, so when getting those I have no worries. LOL

And I don't watch many movies, and when I do I just watch it from Netflix.

What annoys me are people who are against free streaming music. I don't want to waste money on an album I don't like, so I want to give it a listen first. That's why I've decided to never buy a King Crimson album again, seeing as Robert Fripp won't let people listen to his freaking music. Nice business strategy Fripp Angry  

Edited by Unitron - 15 Oct 2014 at 11:19pm
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:52am
I'm certainly not against streaming (despite unclear legality) although I do
also buy on impulse (which is not always a great strategy) or off the back of an MMA review. I'm also not against free to download music. And not that I'd tell anyone but I also have a couple of obscure albums downloaded from debatable sites. Just because I've done it myself doesn't mean intellectually I can justify bulk pirating of music. But then I also don't approve of One Direction, but others have a different moral position on Harry Styles to me ;-)

Edited by Bosh66 - 15 Oct 2014 at 11:58am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:01pm
Through reviews is one way I'll get something, but still I usually like to listen to it before I go out and buy it. 

Btw, you're not alone on not approving of One Direction. I don't think anybody on here does. LOL

I forgot about books, I love to read but I need the actual book in my hand in order to enjoy it. Never liked Audiobooks and I've hated eBooks ever since they came out, kind of takes the point out of reading doesn't it?

Edited by Unitron - 15 Oct 2014 at 12:05pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:27pm
I used to download music when I was younger and didn't know better. I still use YouTube and do listen to stuff that's clearly there illegally though. In this job that sometimes has to be done to evaluate something for addition, though I've recently been using Grooveshark too, but they don't have everything of course.

Personally speaking I get far too many promo albums for free anyway that I can even listen to so I'm never short on new music, much of which I get before the release dates as well (and yes I have on more than one occasion been asked to leak an album - never have and never will). Even then if I really like something I'll replace it with the CD as soon as I can. My CD collection is no doubt small compared to some but I'm still rather proud of it. 

As for films I do watch them but I'm never in a hurry to. In my town we have this shop called The Trade Inn anyway which sells all films for £1 each so I just wait to see what they get in. 

Games? Well games are a biggie on anti-piracy. I hate DRM. Yet as a legitimate player I have to put up with it whereas a pirate is sitting there having fun. I've never pirated a game and never will (my Steam is full of unplayed games anyway) but it annoys me when DRM stops me from playing something I paid for as was the case with Far Cry 3 when UPlay went down (services like Uplay are no doubt the reason people pirate PC games). Why I have to even go through Uplay when I bought the game on Steam is also ridiculous. So I'm less sympathetic to developers who complain about piracy when they hinder people who actually bought their game in such a way. 

Oh and I like real books too. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:08pm
I think piracy is great. Especially off the coast of Somalia
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:15pm
I am neutral on this matter
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 7:08pm
If I pirate something and like it I almost always buy it later.  Beyond that I don't have much to add.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:26pm
I mostly feel neutral towards it, I would agree that piracy in itself is not a good thing, but that doesn't mean it will go away or stop being "necessary" for some people/cases.

Also, Texhnolyze is amazing. <333
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:49am
^ agreed!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 7:35am
Seriously i only pirate unavailable things. I want a physical package with artwork and liner notes. YouTube is great. I regard modern day methods of obtaining free music as a form of advertising. If i like it i will buy the much superior quality of a CD or LP. I cannot stand MP3s and other compressed forms of music
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 8:19am
I preferred the Somalia response Wink

Compressed files are far from ideal, but unfortunately it's a compromise that's unavoidable if you want some decent tunes with you wherever you are.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think piracy is great. Especially off the coast of Somalia
Download a movie and get picked up by Navy Seals? No thank you.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 6:23pm
To be honest, I'm not really sure and so haven't voted.. however, I do have a TON of pirated music and I feel rather bad for not buying all that many CD's this entire time. I used to have at least 20-30 or more of some metal CD's but got rid of those when I wanted money for booze or something(and was heavily only into psychedelic rock and stuff at the time because I thought negatively of metal music and such and etc.) however I want to correct that quite soon and start beefing up my collection again! Also, if I do buy buy CD's, I prefer to buy straight from the artists to support them as directly as possible.

..To be honest, I'm actually considering downsizing my collection quite a bit as I've got FAAAR more music that I'll ever be able to check out.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

Compressed files are far from ideal, but unfortunately it's a compromise that's unavoidable if you want some decent tunes with you wherever you are.

I have compressed files on my ipod and i can put up with it for a while but i have to have full rez on a hard drive if possible. I m an audiophile.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

I have compressed files on my ipod and i can put up with it for a while but i have to have full rez on a hard drive if possible. I m an audiophile.
Is CD-quality a full rez copy to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic