MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Game of Thrones overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Is Game of Thrones TV show overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
3 [17.65%]
4 [23.53%]
3 [17.65%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:30am
I've never seen it, so I can't really give an opinion.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:28am
Most definitely...not. Why? Because it's the only fantasy adaptation I've seen outside of the Tolkien ones that seems to care about being faithful to its source. And it's probably more faithful than those as well. Sure it's made it's share of changes but so far it hasn't done anything overly disappointing. Except perhaps the Season 4 ending. They could have had a major cliffhanger in that (fans of the books will know what or rather who I'm talking about) but instead decided to end on Arya sailing away on Braavos. I'm sure I wasn't the only fan of the novels expecting a much different ending to the season.

But one disappointment isn't going to change my faith in the show. Back to my first point, minor changes and one disappointment aside it's been faithful to good source material. Good source material that could have been treated much worse. For example Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth books that are quite similar in tone to GRRM's were also adapted for TV as Legend of the Seeker and those got turned into a family friendly show that seemed to go out of its way to do the exact opposite to established canon. Can you imagine what Game of Thrones would be like done like that? I read a lot of fantasy books so I know they aren't all like Tolkien's stuff. Most are for the mature reader and anyone whose seen even one episode of Game of Thrones knows that the show is very strictly for a mature audience. I can't name one other fantasy show that's really captured the way the bulk of the genre's literacy is. Game of Thrones does though. 

I've also seen other fantasy films aside from Hobbit/LotR ones are all of them were either quite terrible or decidedly average. I guess one of the better ones I watched was In the Name of the King (considering this is Uwe Boll film that's probably saying something) but like with the Goodkind adaptation it went out of its way to ignore canon, though this one was based on a game rather than a novel and I guess game adaptations are never that great. Still major miscast for the protagonist. I mean this is what the protagonist of Dungeon Siege is supposed to look like:

And here's who they cast:

Now Jason Statham is a great actor and all, but we can all see the glaring problem here can't we. WinkGame of Thrones would be very different if they decided to change the genders of certain characters.

Bottom line is Game of Thrones fills a niche on TV that in my experience has never been done well before and it does it faithfully to it's source. Therefore as a fantasy fan it is most definitely not overrated and fully deserves the recognition it's received.

Edited by adg211288 - 15 Oct 2014 at 12:06pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 8:21am
Please, elaborate on your votes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic