Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BDSM - Bartosso's Daily Saturnine Musings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Daily Disclaimer:

If the epitome of metal to you is Iron Maiden and nothing heavier than this is listenable, skip this one. You'd look at this text like a dog being shown a card trick. Just kidding, go on.

My favorite band is Iron Maiden, and I hold a PhD... so there's that. ;-)
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Daily Disclaimer:

If the epitome of metal to you is Iron Maiden and nothing heavier than this is listenable, skip this one. You'd look at this text like a dog being shown a card trick. Just kidding, go on.

As far as I remember you do listen to extreme metal, damn, you even play in an extreme metal band! So don't worry, it doesn't apply to you, Kim Wink It applies to people who, in general, not just IM, listen to mainstream band(s) but do not embrace the "full spectrum" of what metal has to offer. I'm not even criticizing them, it's not the point of my article. Honestly, I don't give a shit about what people listen to as long as it's not entirely brainless pop/techno crap. I can get slightly judgmental if someone says that Miley Cyrus is their favourite singer. And Maiden ain't brainless, obviously. I like the band, actually, just not very much.

The fact you've taken my joke seriously means it's not funny. An important lesson for the future, heh.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 9:08pm

Daily Disclaimer:

As far as I remember you do listen to extreme metal, damn, you even play in an extreme metal band! So don't worry, it doesn't apply to you, Kim Wink It applies to people who, in general, not just IM, listen to mainstream band(s) but do not embrace the "full spectrum" of what metal has to offer. I'm not even criticizing them, it's not the point of my article. Honestly, I don't give a shit about what people listen to as long as it's not entirely brainless pop/techno crap. I can get slightly judgmental if someone says that Miley Cyrus is their favourite singer. And Maiden ain't brainless, obviously. I like the band, actually, just not very much.

The fact you've taken my joke seriously means it's not funny. An important lesson for the future, heh.

Honestly, if someone came up to me and said Miley Cyrus was their favorite singer, or even liked her for that matter, I would have to play some metal to give them a taste of good music.

Edited by Unitron - 12 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 5:33am

Daily Disclaimer:

No, it was funny. I was joking, too... which means that it was my joke which wasn't funny. Now, that's the important lesson :-)
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 6:13am
okay, I may have taken it a bit too seriously LOL 

By the way, the card trick bit is a paraphrase of one of Bill Hicks' jokes. So it's not really mine :)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:13am
Speaking of mainstream pop music, my impression is the mainstream pop music today is generally more boring than mainstream pop music was in the 80s for example.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:25am
Which was even more boring than pop music in the '70s (disco aside).
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 7:25am

Speaking of mainstream pop music, my impression is the mainstream pop music today is generally more boring than mainstream pop music was in the 80s for example.

Definitely, I've even written a little article about that HERE

I think pop music always reflects the state of society. The way the aggressive consumerism has changed us over the last century is quite alarming. As long as the music sells, it's alright, apparently. That's why we have the same crappy r'n'b about sex all over and over and over again. Most of the good stuff left the mainstream long time ago.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:48am
Quote Which was even more boring than pop music in the '70s (disco aside).

Even disco had more to offer than, say, house/dance of the 90s and today's club music.

Quote I think pop music always reflects the state of society. The way the aggressive consumerism has changed us over the last century is quite alarming. As long as the music sells, it's alright, apparently. That's why we have the same crappy r'n'b about sex all over and over and over again. Most of the good stuff left the mainstream long time ago.

Word!

Edited by Time Signature - 13 Apr 2015 at 8:49am
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:59pm
For me, this is the proof that the pop music in the 70's was way better:

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:03pm

Definitely, I've even written a little article about that HERE

I think pop music always reflects the state of society. The way the aggressive consumerism has changed us over the last century is quite alarming. As long as the music sells, it's alright, apparently. That's why we have the same crappy r'n'b about sex all over and over and over again. Most of the good stuff left the mainstream long time ago.

Agreed, sex sells in the world of pop music.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:26am
Today is different from the 70's. Modern musical creativity as a medium is basically an absurd, and even laughable thought in today's music. Everyone repeats and builds off each other, but refuse to effectively expound on ideas given to them. Yet another reason why the myth of the dying of the music industry is getting more and more widespread, but now it doesn't seem like much of a myth anymore. 
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:24pm
Personally, I'm done with being entirely negative about present - postmodern - tendencies. I've already heard people whining about literature being dead, music being dead and all going to shit. And I refuse to spread that defeatism. I think we've just changed the way we create stuff, that's all. It's not necessarily bad. It's not good. But it's different.

What's bad is that mainstream art has become worthless, no doubt about that. At the same time, however, the "underground" has never been more prolific. And I love that.

Edited by bartosso - 07 Oct 2015 at 6:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image