MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BDSM - Bartosso's Daily Saturnine Musings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

#4 - Metal and independent thinking

Is there such a thing as Independent thinking? Geek  LOL

LOL

I live in a country where Independent thinking is shrinking Shocked
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:02am
^ thanks Polymorphia, that question had me worried for a moment that there's actually no such thing! It would make me look sillier than I already do! What a relief Beer

Btw, anime avi bros unite! ^^
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:33am
Beer *in Misato Katsuragi's voice* Ahhhhhhh! So good!

Independent thinking can be a little overused to mean totally not independent thinking, but the gist of it is in tact— not necessarily taking people's word for things right off the bat until you've thought through it, and also not succumbing to kneejerk cynicism (believing the opposite of everything you've been told for the sake of it).
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Beer *in Misato Katsuragi's voice* Ahhhhhhh! So good!

Independent thinking can be a little overused to mean totally not independent thinking, but the gist of it is in tact— not necessarily taking people's word for things right off the bat until you've thought through it, and also not succumbing to kneejerk cynicism (believing the opposite of everything you've been told for the sake of it).

I see, okay, so that's basically what I thought it meant. I'm not a native-speaker as you've probably noticed already, so it may happen that I use terms that mean something else or don't exist at all. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:02am
You explain your terms in your essays well enough. If you use a term that doesn't exist, you can claim it as your own. Afterall, naming things yourself is a form of independent thinking.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:37am
^ well said, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for checking out my essays, too.

...also, initially I planned to keep that back... as it's shameful of a seinen anime fan... bur I've not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:47am
It's a "classic" in a manner of speaking, but it isn't a perfect anime. I liked parts of it a lot, but I kinda regretted watching it just a little, especially because I watched it slowly. All in all, you probably should watch it, but it isn't horrible that you haven't.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:48am
yeah, I've noticed some criticism of some aspects of the series. But still, I've seen Rahxephon, which is allegedly a NGE rip off (mecha with symbolism-heavy themes, basically) so I'll definitely watch it some day. 

Right now I'm going through Texhnolyze, have you seen this one..?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:03pm
I've seen the first episode of Texhnolyze. I was confused, but intrigued. I plan to get around to the rest of the series eventually.

I've also seen RahXephon. I enjoyed parts of RahXephon as well, but it did feel like it tipped its toes into way too many aesthetics and the comedy moments and slice-of-life parts felt so different from the rest of the series in a way that was kind of hard to reconcile. NGE does slightly better in these arenas, but also goes in directions the show didn't seem geared for. Both are generally good series, though. I just had some other anime I was excited to check out when I watched NGE, and I'm generally a one series at a time kind of person.

Edited by Polymorphia - 30 Oct 2014 at 3:04pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:40pm
It's been a few years since I saw RahXephon (you're right it's X :)) but I would certainly agree on the series being a little inconsistent and uneven. 

As for Texhnolyze, yes, it's definitely one of the more experimental and bold anime series. It's a little bit like watching a Lynch movie set in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic world. It's brooding and mysterious, full of ambiguous scenes and sparing in dialogues. And the soundtrack is just amazing! I thoroughly enjoy it so far, but it's not a series to watch in one go if you want to keep your sanity intact. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
What sanity? Wink
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:36pm
Oh dear, I used a meaningless word again Tongue
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 6:00pm
^^ Sexy avatar, Bart Tongue

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^^ Sexy avatar, Bart Tongue
Thanks mate, it's actually one of the most fleshed out female characters in anime, Senjougahara Hitagi from Bakemonogatari. I love her, manStar

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:23pm
^^ Even better looking when moving LOL

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:02pm
Yeah, well, a girl I was in a relationship with in high school was kind of similar to Senjougahara, not so much in the visual department (even though they're both charming in a similar way) as the mental one. A tsundere, basically. A very difficult personality with a complicated past making everything even harder. I think I'm actually attracted to that kind of women - troubled, dominating bitches with a soft side to them... Which is why I decided to stay single LOL 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 6:05am

Yeah, well, a girl I was in a relationship with in high school was kind of similar to Senjougahara, not so much in the visual department (even though they're both charming in a similar way) as the mental one. A tsundere, basically. A very difficult personality with a complicated past making everything even harder. I think I'm actually attracted to that kind of women - troubled, dominating bitches with a soft side to them... Which is why I decided to stay single LOL 

LOL

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:48pm

Shinsekai yori (From the New World)

-> it's an anime review... but check it out anyway, please. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:19pm

Does it get frustrating?? Staying single? Personally, I get frustrated 

LOL

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 04 Nov 2014 at 1:54am

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:37pm
Never say... "perfect"

Just a short thought that I might rewrite into something more "serious" in the foreseeable future if it proves good enough. I try to keep distance from my ideas for some time, they often turn out to be ridiculous despite seeming great at first glance. 

So, it's basically a kind of extension of my first article here, the one on numeral ratings and why they suck satan's scaly member. You know, when you give a 10/10 rating and that would mean the album is 100% perfect, flawless, mind-blowingly awesome and you should totally buy it now IT"S worth EVERY PENNY! etc., you know, that kind of PERFECT bullshit. First of all, I strongly believe there's no such thing as "perfection", even less so when it comes to art. That's why perfectionists are never happy - they just keep improving stuff until they die. Funny, cause death is one of those rare, pure phenomena that I'd actually dare to call perfect. Hah, ironic. Would that mean we're all perfectionist as we all die, eventually? Okay, I'm getting carried away. Right...

I'm loosing steam already. Perfection, la la, what was I about to... ah okay. Language. Language is inherently imperfect. Language is imperfect. Even this short statement is imprecise and therefore can be interpreted in many different ways. We don't have time to talk about linguistics here, though. It's just a canvas for my main thought: Imperfection is beautiful. Language is a code, it's imperfect so it leaves room for interpretation, for vagueness. Hence it's beautiful. DNA, the code of evolution is imperfect, flawed - AND THAT"S WHY we exist by the way, we were such an evolutionary fuck-up, that we needed to develop two most dreaded, disgusting features (or you can count them as one), self-awareness and intelligence, in order to survive. And look at us now: lost, conflicted and violent; neurotic and gentle or cold like degenerated predators. We invented perfection even though (or because) we're the least perfect of all things. Fuck, it's got so deep, I can barely reach the keyboard. Depths of metaphysics, I feel like a poor imitation of Emil Cioran right now! He loved those nihilistic aphorisms. They didn't make much sense sometimes but boy, did they sound good!

Alright, final thought, I'm tired. Please, if I may consider myself entitled to ask you to do so, next time you'll be about to use the word "perfect", ask yourself what do you actually love about the piece of art you're referring to: the fact it's "perfect" and works like a swiss clockwork, almost like it was not created by a human being but by a supercomputer, or for what it is, with all its imperfections, human weaknesses and subtleties? Yeah, all that may depend on your taste, the genre and so on and so forth, but I think it lets you write a review or voice an opinion that is not about your rating, your assessment but about the music itself. I myself am still trying to put this idea into practice, and even though it may not work "perfectly" just yet, I certainly feel better now, every time I voice an opinion about a piece of art. It just seems fairer to me to just say "I love it, and there's why..." instead of "not exactly a perfect masterpiece, buuuuuuut...". You know what I mean? Was it all obvious to you from the start? Oh well...

Edited by bartosso - 01 Apr 2015 at 2:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic