FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BDSM - Bartosso's Daily Saturnine Musings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 6:00pm
^^ Sexy avatar, Bart Tongue
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:36pm
Oh dear, I used a meaningless word again Tongue
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:01pm
What sanity? Wink
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:40pm
It's been a few years since I saw RahXephon (you're right it's X :)) but I would certainly agree on the series being a little inconsistent and uneven. 

As for Texhnolyze, yes, it's definitely one of the more experimental and bold anime series. It's a little bit like watching a Lynch movie set in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic world. It's brooding and mysterious, full of ambiguous scenes and sparing in dialogues. And the soundtrack is just amazing! I thoroughly enjoy it so far, but it's not a series to watch in one go if you want to keep your sanity intact. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:03pm
I've seen the first episode of Texhnolyze. I was confused, but intrigued. I plan to get around to the rest of the series eventually.

I've also seen RahXephon. I enjoyed parts of RahXephon as well, but it did feel like it tipped its toes into way too many aesthetics and the comedy moments and slice-of-life parts felt so different from the rest of the series in a way that was kind of hard to reconcile. NGE does slightly better in these arenas, but also goes in directions the show didn't seem geared for. Both are generally good series, though. I just had some other anime I was excited to check out when I watched NGE, and I'm generally a one series at a time kind of person.

Edited by Polymorphia - 30 Oct 2014 at 3:04pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 11:48am
yeah, I've noticed some criticism of some aspects of the series. But still, I've seen Rahxephon, which is allegedly a NGE rip off (mecha with symbolism-heavy themes, basically) so I'll definitely watch it some day. 

Right now I'm going through Texhnolyze, have you seen this one..?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:47am
It's a "classic" in a manner of speaking, but it isn't a perfect anime. I liked parts of it a lot, but I kinda regretted watching it just a little, especially because I watched it slowly. All in all, you probably should watch it, but it isn't horrible that you haven't.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:37am
^ well said, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for checking out my essays, too.

...also, initially I planned to keep that back... as it's shameful of a seinen anime fan... bur I've not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion yet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:02am
You explain your terms in your essays well enough. If you use a term that doesn't exist, you can claim it as your own. Afterall, naming things yourself is a form of independent thinking.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Beer *in Misato Katsuragi's voice* Ahhhhhhh! So good!

Independent thinking can be a little overused to mean totally not independent thinking, but the gist of it is in tact— not necessarily taking people's word for things right off the bat until you've thought through it, and also not succumbing to kneejerk cynicism (believing the opposite of everything you've been told for the sake of it).

I see, okay, so that's basically what I thought it meant. I'm not a native-speaker as you've probably noticed already, so it may happen that I use terms that mean something else or don't exist at all. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:33am
Beer *in Misato Katsuragi's voice* Ahhhhhhh! So good!

Independent thinking can be a little overused to mean totally not independent thinking, but the gist of it is in tact— not necessarily taking people's word for things right off the bat until you've thought through it, and also not succumbing to kneejerk cynicism (believing the opposite of everything you've been told for the sake of it).
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:02am
^ thanks Polymorphia, that question had me worried for a moment that there's actually no such thing! It would make me look sillier than I already do! What a relief Beer

Btw, anime avi bros unite! ^^
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

#4 - Metal and independent thinking

Is there such a thing as Independent thinking? Geek  LOL

LOL

I live in a country where Independent thinking is shrinking Shocked

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 5:30pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 1:10pm
Check out new post:

Me, Music and Musings #1

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:08pm
-> BDSM from now on available also on my refurbished blog.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:31pm
#5 - Deviants, masochists and aesthetics of metal

Daily Disclaimer:

If the epitome of metal is Iron Maiden for you... what? I've used this disclaimer already? What can I say, I just don't like this band.

Before you kill me, I'll just say that I actually somewhat like Iron Maiden, I'm just a kind of person that would say anything to seem cool and ironic. Basically a kind of person you wouldn't like to know in real life. I have an excuse, though! I'm sick, I sleep eight hours a day and another ten at night, waiting for something to happen. If I'm to be completely honest with you, this blog marks a transitional phase in my life as I learn to accept my health problems despite their life and hearing impairing implications. I have to accept them. Not because I need it to feel better. It's just that after two years of treatment, surgery and inconclusive diagnosing, I feel like resuming my life would be a good move.

I know, I know, it was supposed to be about us, not me. I didn't plan this outburst, I hope all two people who read this won't hold a grudge against me... The question we asked in the previous installment of BDSM was, more ot less, "Why do we like extreme music?". The answer is partly expressed in the question itself (oh how clever!). Extreme situations is what thrills us. Why would people watch thrillers, read horror books or gather around car accidents like idiots, if not for the excitement? It's obviously directly connected to our morbid curiosity and I think at the very basis, that's what gets us hooked on extreme music in the first place. Still music compared to movies, books or real life situations, is abstract. Yeah, sure, Cannibal Corpse lyrics (and cover arts, for that matter) are not particularly abstract and I bet some people find this aspect of their music very exciting. Still, even if you leave aside the conceptual basis of the music, it's still extreme. That's where another thing kicks in - letting oneself go. Extreme music is liberating and helps us relax. It's funny because it usually has an opposite effect on those who don't like it.

Okay, but what about those who find the music not only liberating but also beautiful. If you get shivers down your spine upon hearing a Gnaw Their Tongues track or an emotional arrhythmia while listening to Meshuggah, you're one of those freaks. You are one of these sick deviants that listen to atonal noise and still somehow look like a birdwatcher surrounded by nightingales. That's not normal! I mean really, peeking at birds, come on! So, anyway, we are willing to sacrifice social conformity and often part of our sanity just to explore that music and experience something extraordinary. Or maybe it's just that only extreme music is capable of conveying the full spectrum of human nature? All that we know about, all that we accept, but also things we'd rather forget about or don't even know exist in our subconscious? Knowing and accepting all that shit we have inside is part of our evolution. And yes, we're talking metal here, but also avant-garde jazz or RIO, or chamber music. All music that challenges your limits, opens your mind and forces you to give in to it, is extreme.

Nowadays, especially nowadays, in the postmodern age, extreme music is a perfect artistic vessel to express things otherwise inexpressible. Bands like Kayo Dot, Unexpect, Cloak of Altering, Thy Catafalque, however different they are, all aim at transcending the borders of art in order to achieve the ultimate goal - ecstasy, freedom, spiritual unity of body and mind. Without dogmas, prayers, or masturbation. Just you and the sounds. And when the silence comes, you're a changed man.

Edited by bartosso - 23 Oct 2014 at 9:50pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:39pm
Woah, incredible how every quote sounds better out of context ^^ thanks once again, Andrew, your support and thoughtful commentary is much, much appreciated.

Also, nothing cheesy about your Blue Lambency Downward review. We get more and more scared of going poetic these days. I believe that you can't accurately describe a work of art without transcending literal description of genres, influences etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic