Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:25pm
I don't have double jump yet - I played up to defeating Tiny Tiger on that one and then tried 1 and 2. I think I'll keep it having played for about 70 minutes, but I imagine time trials may get a bit frustrating since if I recall correctly they have to be done with no deaths. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:47pm
Yeah, I never even attempted time trials, because I'm way too awful at the games to even bother with it. I did some of the bonus rooms, though, and they were pretty tough.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 11:32am
Got double jump now: it works every time for me. Version specific issue maybe? It certainly made the next level with a Dinosaur chase easier. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 11:38am
It mostly bothered me in Warped, I think. Never had much trouble with it in the other games, as far as I remember.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
It's Warped I've got in it. Works fine for me. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:01am
What I am finding isn't working too well is the spin power-up which is supposed to allow gliding. It's absolutely essential for the level I'm currently at and will not work long enough to cross a mandatory gap. That said, I'm pretty sure I had trouble mastering this on the original as well. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong as I checked a guide just now it all it says is to do exactly what I've already been trying. But overall the most negative thing I can say about the games is that they've reminded me of how frustrating Crash levels can be, especially when you get cases where the checkpoints are too few and far between or just really inconveniently placed which leads to having to repeat the same sections of levels over and over again.

I'm quite happy with Far Cry 5 so far though: the game looks fantastic and has never dropped below 60FPS even in intense scenes, which is more than I can say for most AAA titles. The gameplay is about as expected based on past experience with Far Cry 3, which is fine by me. I'm less sold on the use of a silent protagonist (a pet peeve of mine in gaming) but it's at least an improvement on 3's protagonist Jason Brody, A.K.A. Gaming's Biggest Arsehole. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:27am
Some more negative thoughts on Far Cry 5 as the game has progressed:

Planes are fucking awful to control. Helicopters are easier, but the game often insists on the use of a plane, not a helicopter. 

The first actual boss fight I encountered is done in a plane. Fortunately the game doesn't seem to care if you fast travel away mid-mission to get a helicopter instead. 

Said boss fight bugged out the first time I actually 'beat' it, resulting in the boss becoming invincible. Had to repeat the whole damn thing again. 

If anything the post-fight mission is even more of a pain in the arse: I swear enemies in this game spawn out of thin air, since this one takes place in a bunker and suddenly there are enemies behind you coming from the area you just cleared out. The final room of the mission is ridiculous as well. Things exploding everywhere so that you can't see very well for fire and smoke, a seemingly endless resupply of enemies on top of that, and it quickly gets very confusing about where you're actually meant to be going. There's a quest marker of course, but given that you are constantly being shot at locating it and getting to it in an area with zero cover proved easier said than done. I only got out due to the ending cutscene triggering before my last smidgen of health was depleted. You do have companions in the game, and absolutely none of them will follow you into any underground location. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:53pm
Okay after 51 hours I've beat everything in Far Cry 5 up to the endgame, which I can't be bothered with today as I am too stressed out over the last mission I hadn't completed in the game. The mission is called Lord of the Wings and I swear I've never encountered a mission so damn ridiculous as this one, in any game. It took me almost two hours to beat it and over a hundred attempts. Stupidly low time limit, absolutely zero room for error and the slightest clip of any object from anything from a mountainside to a leaf results in instant death. And if I never hear that fucking song again it will be too soon. I used to like power metal. Now I hate power metal. This game ruined power metal for me. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:47pm
Nothing could ever make me hate power metal LOL 

I looked up a video of that mission, and I could barely even hear the song: It wasn't even commentary, either, because I made sure to get a commentary free video. No, there's just an old man who keeps commenting on every bloody thing that happens. Honestly, that would get on my nerves far more than any song ever could.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 15 Jan 2019 at 3:53pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:52pm
Yeah, the commentator is annoying as fuck as well. The song isn't actually that loud, true, but in every one of those Clutch Nixon missions they play the same song and given how finicky some of them are (Lord of the Wings is by far the worst though) it's easy to hear that song over and over again until the point you want to scream. 

The song is by a band called The Road Vikings. I haven't looked if we have them on here or not. It's called The Ballad of Evel Kneivel but it sounds like they changed the words slightly to fit the game. The singer actually has kind of a Rob Halford on Painkiller vibe, but I'm so sick of that song now that I have zero intention of ever checking that band out properly. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:58pm
Just looked the full version of the song up, and it's good stuff. I' can add the band sometime in the next few days, unless you do it first. I'd be sure to put in a comment on their profile about how their song tortured you in Far Cry 5 Wink (But, no, I probably would mention their song being in Far Cry 5, because that's probably a big deal for them.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:54am
I finished Far Cry 5 now. The end was pretty terrible and even broke the game's immersion but did set up New Dawn, though I have mixed feelings about it because in the end it's basically a game where you can play for over 50 hours working to 100% completion only to then 'lose' at the end no matter what you do. The game's main antagonist always wins, seemingly so that can try to sell another game to you. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 10:58am
Yeah, I saw the ending and it seemed pretty dumb and forced, imo. I would be interested in a post apocalyptic Far Cry, but I really want nothing to do with Far Cry 5 from what I've seen of it (aside from The Ballad of Clutch Nixon, of course) so the fact that New Dawn is a follow up, leaves me wanting to avoid it completely.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:31am
The actual open world FPS gameplay is pretty fun in FC5, but it does severely lack in other areas. 

I actually wrote a rare Steam review for this one, which explains how I feel about a lot of aspects of it. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:23am
Well I just rage quit Crash 2 in the N.Sane Trilogy on account of the Bee-Having level. I'd forgotten this level from the PS1 original and I really couldn't tell you how I ever passed it before. I just lost over 50 accumulated lives on it because of those fucking bees. It seems to be actually impossible to spin them all or even avoid them, especially when there's an electric gate right ahead or another enemy in the way. 

This is what I always hated about the Crash games. I swear that bandicoot could trip over a twig and die from it. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 2:48pm
If you ever want to see what actual classic survival horror gameplay would look like with modern graphics and controls, I highly recommend the newly released remake of Resident Evil 2. I'm about 4 hours in, and it's tense as fuck, while actually being fun to play! It basically takes the best parts of the original, but makes the actual gameplay feel more modern, without leaning too far towards the actiony side. You actually need to play it like a survival horror game, basically. So far, it's been absolutely amazing!
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:16pm
^Yeah my sister got it and wanted me to play! I probably played about 1 or 2 hours and was very pleasantly surprised, it's more tense than the original! I look forward to playing more.Thumbs Up

Edited by Psydye - 28 Jan 2019 at 11:31am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
What the actual fuck?

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/?utm_content=buffer0bdd9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Way to shoot themselves in the fucking foot. Both feet even. 

I originally thought to boycott it on principle, but I'm not waiting a fucking year to play it and Epic Store can go fuck itself. I've used the last of my Xmas/Birthday money to pre-order it (nice way of forcing pre-orders Deep Silver) even though that money was ear-marked for other things. It'll get the two hours at release and if I get single a single glitch or FPS drop below 60, it will be refunded. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Jan 2019 at 11:30am
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:03pm
And just like that, Deep Silver/4A Games made themselves two of the most vilified studios in the gaming industry. I wonder how much money Epic threw at them to betray their Steam fanbase like this? It's one thing to secure an exclusive before it has gone on sale anywhere, but Metro Exodus (and The Walking Dead's final season) have both already been on sale on Steam. I find their methods really shady.

I know Epic takes a lower cut than Steam, but apparently Steam only takes the industry standard. Epic is undercutting to snag exclusives rather than provide genuine competition. Do these developers really think that they'll not creep their percentage up over time? 

I actually hope they do this to a few more major upcoming games though to be honest. They might see then that the majority of players aren't standing for this when their sales show a trend of being lower than expected. They might even end their first business year at a loss, depending on how much they paid out to get this game. Then these developers will crawl back to Steam with their tails between their legs.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
I may yet get my pre-order refunded. By making it I've given myself some breathing space to make a proper decision on if I want this game at launch. It's true I don't want to have to wait a whole year to play this (and Epic can still go fuck itself) but I rarely drop £50 on a game and wasn't actually planning to for this. A part of me actually wants to boycott the game in response to this. And that means even after it does eventually release on Steam, at least until it gets a massive discount. They just spat on my and many other fan's loyalty. They don't deserve an ounce of it back. 

It's a dirty move by the publisher and I wonder if they're actively trying to get as much knee-jerk pre-orders on Steam as possible by making the game only available on a store than already has a poor reputation among players. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 94>
  Share Topic