Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 12:35pm
Yeah, I always hated the end of that one, just because it was clear sequel bait, and I hate that sort of thing, especially when no sequel ever comes. I'm especially sad that there won't be a sequel to The Wolf Among Us, as that was my favorite game by them, but at least that one did have a pretty clear ending, so it's not like Borderlands or especially Game of Thrones, where they left a lot unresolved. 

It's good they're actually getting The Walking Dead finished. I just hope the episodes still turn out fine and aren't badly rushed, just to get them out.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm
Just finished a second run of Mass Effect Andromeda. The game's performance is much better on PC now though can still occasionally be really choppy, especially just after loading. I felt the game held up to a second playthough: not getting the backlash it got really. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
I never went back to Andromeda, because I was too upset over the "fan" (more like idiot haters) reaction killing the series, and the fact that we never even got single player DLC. I remember loving the game, though, and probably still would if I played it again. Maybe if they ever make another one, I'll play it again in preparation.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:57pm
Ciri has been cast in the Netflix Witcher and is NOT Bame after all.

GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
Yeah, I was literally just about to post that LOL

That's good news, though. Both her and Yennifer look promising, at least on appearances. Now we just need to see if they can play their parts well enough. I've pretty much not been watching any shows at all lately (though still have some Netflix stuff to get o, notably Altered Carbon) but that's one I'll definitely watch at least a couple episodes of when it releases, just out of sheer curiosity.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 10 Oct 2018 at 1:09pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:41pm
I'll know if Yen's actress is good or not based on how much I can't stand her, funnily enough. Yen is pretty much my least favourite main character in the books and perhaps even more so in Wild Hunt so if I end up liking her in this TV show I'll be forced to conclude she was adapted badly. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
LOL 

But yeah, that's what my brother was like with some GoT characters. He knew Joffrey was cast perfectly, because as soon as he saw him he wanted to punch him in the face. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:51pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:01am
The average approval rating of the new Tomb Raider game just keeps going down every time I look at Steam. Should I be worried Travis? Haven't seen you mention it again. 

Asking now as I'm tempted to buy this week as it's already gone on sale (until the 22nd) and with my Steam wallet build up and I get the complete edition for about £26 of actual money, which seems like a steal this early on. 
GG2U

ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:32am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'll know if Yen's actress is good or not based on how much I can't stand her, funnily enough. Yen is pretty much my least favourite main character in the books and perhaps even more so in Wild Hunt so if I end up liking her in this TV show I'll be forced to conclude she was adapted badly. 

Funny you should say that; I thought I was choosing the unpopular option of rekindling Geralt's romance with Triss, but it seems I'm not alone in finding Yen unlikeable. Clap
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by ColdReverie ColdReverie wrote:

Funny you should say that; I thought I was choosing the unpopular option of rekindling Geralt's romance with Triss, but it seems I'm not alone in finding Yen unlikeable. Clap

I think it is the unpopular opinion among fans (especially old school book fans) overall. I do feel kind of bias toward Triss in some ways because I played the first two games before I was able to read any of the books, English translations not being available for the whole series until long after Wild Hunt came out and all, and the first two games really try to push Geralt and Triss together, even if you choose Shani in Witcher 1. Going into Wild Hunt from that and Triss always felt like the more natural romance option for Geralt and the fact that no matter what choices you make regarding her in the last act of Witcher 2, whether you rescue her or not most of all, they are split up at the start of Witcher 3 is one of the few writing gripes I have with the game, which also extends into how Yen centric they made it compared to the first two. Before patches, choosing Triss felt like a letdown in terms of how much exclusive dialogue the two characters had compared to the Geralt/Yen path. 

But even after reading the books they did little to make me want Geralt with Yen. I did that path once while doing a playthrough where I purposefully did everything differently to what my normal reaction is, but otherwise I don't see the appeal. Yeah, she's beautiful, but she continually manages to make it seem only skin deep. Doesn't mean that every time I play The Last Wish quest in Wild Hunt I don't feel like a complete arsehole for choosing the 'I don't love you anymore' option. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:40am

The average approval rating of the new Tomb Raider game just keeps going down every time I look at Steam. Should I be worried Travis? Haven't seen you mention it again. 

Asking now as I'm tempted to buy this week as it's already gone on sale (until the 22nd) and with my Steam wallet build up and I get the complete edition for about £26 of actual money, which seems like a steal this early on. 

No, I liked it just as much as Rise, if not a bit more. I guess it depends on what you want, though, because it definitely focuses more on exploration and puzzles, and less on combat, compared to the previous two. I thought the first hour was weak, but everything else was excellent, and the tombs were some of my favorites, and while combat wasn't there as much, there were some great sequences in the second half. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:50am
Sold. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
I'm not too sure why it's getting mixed reviews on Steam (though browsing through, lack of combat seems to be a part of it) but at least for the console versions, a lot of people are comparing the current trilogy in general unfavorably to Uncharted, which I personally disagree with, because I actually think Tomb Raider has much better gameplay, and like that it isn't totally on rails all the time like Uncharted. Plus, I find Uncharted 4 in particular to be one of the most overrated games ever, as people act like it's some great example of videogame storytelling, when in reality it's damn cliche, I was able to predict every twist hours before it happened. Obviously, though, the comparisons wouldn't effect you, anyway, since you'd probably have no interest in Uncharted, with it being PS4 exclusive and all.

Meanwhile, Witcher 3 may no longer be my glitchiest game of this console gen. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey sure is giving it a run for its money in that department. There's probably less variety in glitches, but the frequency is absolutely ridiculous. I've had a few straight up crashes, times where the background when black in the middle of a conversation, for no reason, controls malfunctioning, but worst of all, every once in a while a character will get stuck somehow, causing the framerate to drop to about 1 FPS. Sometimes it recovers after a while, but at least a few times it happened, I was forced to exit out of the game and reload. The game itself is fun, though a bit annoying, but the glitches are seriously killing it for me, at this point. I at least remember Tomb Raider having zero glitches, so that helped it a lot.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 17 Oct 2018 at 12:58pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:22pm
Just about to have a first look at Tomb Raider. Just ducked out because a thought came to me when you said the mixed reviews seem to be due to the lack of combat - do you reckon these are the same people who complained that Lara killed too many people in the first two games? 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:36pm
Possibly LOL

Then again, without spoilers, I've seen people complain about something she does in this one, too, so complainers will always find something.

The general issue is, when going around exploring and doing side quests, there's pretty much zero enemy presence whatsoever, where in Rise you'd occasionally find enemies. In this game, all combat comes either from a couple later sidequests, or the main story path. It didn't bother me much, because I like the exploration and puzzles, anyway, but it did feel a bit weird. Honestly, though, after playing 80+ hours of AC: Odyssey, I'd take no combat, because constantly getting chased down by bounty hunters in that game is driving me absolutely insane. If anything, that games crosses the line in the opposite direction, and has way too much combat, to the point of it getting boring and tiring way before it's over.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 17 Oct 2018 at 1:40pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 2:15pm
Getting attacked all the time when I just want to explore in a game is a bit of a pet peeve in game design for me actually, so Shadow of the Tomb Raider actually sounds promising to me. I haven't got to play much yet and honestly I don't see myself doing too much tonight now, but so far I did the short scene that opens the game and now I've ended up in a town tailing someone, having just climbed a fence in cut scene. I'll try to finish that section now and then delve into the game properly tomorrow. 

RE: AC Odyssey, I remember feeling like that with Shadow of Mordor. I really wanted to like that game but the combat just ended up being insane: my hands couldn't handle it. I get problems with RSI quite easily and the combat in that game was just cramping my thumb way too fast compared to other games I use the controller for (it was far too awkward for keyboard and mouse).
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 2:42pm
Yeah, I lasted about 10 hours with Shadows of Mordor, before getting sick of it. Both because it was killing my thumbs, and because it was just not fun for me, at all. That was modeled after early AC (well, anything up to Syndicate, really) and the Batman: Arkham games, where Odyssey and Origins are modeled after Dark Souls, except they're faster and don't have the stamina bar. I generally like the combat, but it gets super repetitive, plus I'm like you in that when I'm exploring or doing a mission, I'm focused entirely on that, and want nothing to do with random combat, so it's been driving me insane. It also has bounty hunters, which are super strong enemies, and they modeled that after Shadows of Mordor. Needless to say, that's my least favorite part of the game.

Weirdly enough, I remember my brother saying he hates Witcher 3's combat, because it reminds him of the Arkham combat, but to me it never felt like that at all, because it's much slower and gives you far more options than either straight up attacking or sitting around waiting for a counter, which is basically what Arkham, Mordor and early AC are.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 17 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 11:50pm
I never got past the first AC game personally. I just couldn't get on with it, though I don't recall why now, despite being intrigued by the actual story. I might try it again one day. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 12:17pm
Well Shadow of the Tomb Raider was going great until I reached Kuwaq Yaku, then performance absolutely tanked from a steady 70-100 FPS to a choppy 30-40! It's not unplayable, but it's a ridiculous drop and far more severe than any found in Rise. 

Going to try updating my GPU drivers to see if that helps, but it seems like this is a common issue even for players with PC's well above spec. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 94>
  Share Topic