Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 7:53pm
Those three N64 games I mentioned earlier arrived in the mail today. Smile I started Doom 64:

I beat the first two levels, and although the lighting is terrible and the controls will take some getting used to, it's classic Doom - for me that's definitely a good thing! It's definitely a lot spookier and more atmospheric than other Doom games, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 11:58pm
you were also playing the 360 port of doom a while ago. 
i just redownloaded that tonight be cause i remembered how much fun it was 

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by SKwid SKwid wrote:

you were also playing the 360 port of doom a while ago. 
i just redownloaded that tonight be cause i remembered how much fun it was 

Yep, I re-beat the game on 'Hurt Me Plenty' on 360 to get all of the achievements. It's a really fun title.

This N64 game actually isn't a port, but an entirely new Doom title that's exclusive to the N64. Big smile I'm on level 6 now... really good stuff.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I've never played Ass Creed, but this new trailer makes me want to start.

Assassinating people from the trees looks to be pretty fun.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 6:23pm
I've beaten Mass Effect 3, but the ending poses more questions than it answers...

I'm going to keep playing anyway.  I want to see how my favorite romantic option (Liara) plays out.  Plus, I already got 70% of the trophies.  I can probably get the platinum like I did in the second game.

But I'm also ready to try some new stuff now and got this today:

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm
Doom 64 is hard as fuck!! I'm on level 18 right now, and haven't used any walkthroughs so far. It's an excellent game, though, and the level design is brilliant. I just wish that there were a manual save system - the 'save at the end of each level' format is frustrating as hell on some of the more difficult stages.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:34pm

I've beaten Mass Effect 3, but the ending poses more questions than it answers...

I'm going to keep playing anyway.  I want to see how my favorite romantic option (Liara) plays out.  Plus, I already got 70% of the trophies.  I can probably get the platinum like I did in the second game.

But I'm also ready to try some new stuff now and got this today:

i always find that romantic parts of the game never happen for me on the first playthrough.
i did bone that reporter lady though.
she is too easyCool

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Xaxaar Xaxaar wrote:

I've never played Ass Creed, but this new trailer makes me want to start.

Assassinating people from the trees looks to be pretty fun.
 i have a huge boner watching this, i still need to play revelations. 

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 8:23pm
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:27pm

More interesting Mass Effect 3 stuff:

Zero Punctuation:

Jimquisition:

you forgot Marauder Shields 

SPOILER ALERT: you might not want to watch this if you haven't beat me3 
also , katsumi goto's theme from ME2 is goddamn epic 

Edited by SKwid - 21 Mar 2012 at 11:36pm

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:20am
Beat Doom 64 yesterday... the final boss was fucking IMPOSSIBLE without some secrets that I missed out on earlier in the game. It took quite a few tries, but I did win.

Right now I've started to play this classic through an emulator:

Believe it or not, I've never actually played any of the Mario games from beginning to end. I'll start here and try a few others as well.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:43am

Well, I met Liara hanging out at the Presidium.  And I guess I locked in the romance.  Love! Big smile

Edited by Wilytank - 25 Mar 2012 at 7:44am
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Believe it or not, I've never actually played any of the Mario games from beginning to end. I'll start here and try a few others as well.

I was coming to this thread to post exactly the same game, actually.  One day into spring break and emulators are already saving my ass from extreme boredom!

But yeah, this game rules.  I've beaten it a gazillion times since I was a kid but it never seems to get old.  The only thing is remembering how to use the cape correctly...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

I was coming to this thread to post exactly the same game, actually.  One day into spring break and emulators are already saving my ass from extreme boredom!

But yeah, this game rules.  I've beaten it a gazillion times since I was a kid but it never seems to get old.  The only thing is remembering how to use the cape correctly...

You'll probably hate me then. LOL

I beat Super Mario Bros. for the NES and thought it was okay. I'm almost done with this one, and I think the same thing. Unhappy I'm totally in a minority, but platforming games in general just piss me off. If it weren't for the save slots on emulators, it would drive me nuts. LOL

I guess it's probably because I suck at platformers, but I tend to get very minimal enjoyment from them. Of course, that's not to downplay the historical importance of the Mario series either. I'm just much more into RPG's and first-person shooters it seems.

I actually reviewed Super Mario Bros. yesterday at Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-bros/user-reviews/791071/
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm
Could be because I grew up with that game and the SNES in general.  I didn't get on the N64 bandwagon as quickly as my other friends did (something about my parents not wanting me to spend too much time in front of the TV-and yet I already had the SNES, go figure), so that was all I had.  Games that are pretty awful, like the original Mario Kart, were like godsends to me...if they worked.  One thing I will never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.  Good times, but...LOL
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:33am

Could be because I grew up with that game and the SNES in general.  I didn't get on the N64 bandwagon as quickly as my other friends did (something about my parents not wanting me to spend too much time in front of the TV-and yet I already had the SNES, go figure), so that was all I had.  Games that are pretty awful, like the original Mario Kart, were like godsends to me...if they worked.  One thing I will never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.  Good times, but...LOL

I actually like the original Mario Kart quite a bit. Tongue I wish they never got rid of the coin system - I think it adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game. The issue with Mario World is just that I fucking suck at 2D platformers. LOL

I like cartridges more than discs in terms of looks and collecting purposes, but I can't say that getting them to work is a favorite of mine either. Geek
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm

I actually like the original Mario Kart quite a bit. Tongue I wish they never got rid of the coin system - I think it adds a lot more depth and strategy to the game. The issue with Mario World is just that I fucking suck at 2D platformers. LOL

I like cartridges more than discs in terms of looks and collecting purposes, but I can't say that getting them to work is a favorite of mine either. Geek

The thing I don't like about the first game is that I don't think a lot of thought was put into making the computer characters.  It's stupid how they each have their own item and only use it when they're around you, and I hate how there's a predetermined handicap for them depending on which character you choose to play as.  Like, I always pick Yoshi, and I'm tired of seeing Koopa on my ass every single time. Angry

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:37pm

One thing I wil never miss about that time period is the game not working, and the only fix being blowing into the cartridge and then jamming it back into the console 5 or 6 times until it worked.� Good times, but...LOL

I actually really miss that about games. I remember learning specific ways to put each game into the console so it would work every time, almost like routines that were specific to each game. I miss that.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:54pm

The thing I don't like about the first game is that I don't think a lot of thought was put into making the computer characters.  It's stupid how they each have their own item and only use it when they're around you, and I hate how there's a predetermined handicap for them depending on which character you choose to play as.  Like, I always pick Yoshi, and I'm tired of seeing Koopa on my ass every single time. Angry

I notice that too... I almost always play as Yoshi, and Mario sucks so much that he comes in last almost every time ! LOL The AI isn't particularly great, but the game is better than the N64 and GC versions in terms of difficulty - those are too easy IMO. The maps on the SNES version are way too repetitive, though...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:06pm
Beat Super Mario World. Had a change of heart too, it seems: http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-world/user-reviews/791261/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 94>
  Share Topic