Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:12am
Well I've passed the two hours now, so I'm stuck with it no matter what happens, but so far things do suggest a positive experience. Hopefully there will be patches soon that will stabilise some of the performance issues (seems worse when many NPC's are around). For now I think I have to accept that my rig can't run a 2019 game on Ultra at 60+ FPS all of the time (I'm presuming the Extreme preset above Ultra is future proofing). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Also, major LOL at the fact that this game had launched with Steam only features like achievements and trading cards. 

That's because the actual developer was all geared up for and in support of a Steam release. We'll probably never know who approached who in the Epic Shit Store's deal with Deep Silver, but they surprised 4A with it as much as the rest of us.

Given Epic Shit Store's lack of features, I'm actually surprised the terms of their deal aren't that these features had to be pulled from the Steam pre-order version until the true Steam release in a year's time. It's nice to see that they haven't though, not that I'll be playing until 2020.

I'm presuming Epic Shit Store came up to Deep Silver and offered them a bunch of cash to get this one year exclusivity deal. I'd really love to know how much it costs for a publisher to destroy their reputation, do serious harm to their relationship with Valve (it has to have surely - don't be surprised if Valve decides not to do business with them for future games) and make their fanbase feel betrayed in one fell swoop.
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:18am
Just also seen this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzdU8_bX4AMI5zc.jpg:large

The disc version cases were already made with Steam on them before Epic Shit Store got a hold of it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
Personally I didn't realise that the Epic Store was this hated until this. I was very much a part of the 'oh not another launcher' crowd, because more and more launchers are simply a pain in the arse and if Fallout 76 is anything to go by we're going to have to put up with no Steam for future Bethesda games as it is. But at least those are Bethesda's games to do what they like with, like Mass Effect with EA. There wasn't a fuss over those only being on Origin, because that's where we all expected them to be. Metro Exodus was different, because we expected it to be on Steam and it actually was as good as on Steam until Epic upset the apple cart. I don't think half as many people would be this pissed off if they'd announced it as an Epic Store game in the first place. 

I think my main issue with Epic themselves though, at least the last time I checked which was when they snagged The Walking Dead's final season (again in spite of it already being on Steam), was that they weren't accepting PayPal as far as I could see. That precluded me from buying anything from them as I don't have a credit card and I never use my debit card online.

But that said it objectively is an inferior platform so I agree with you Chris, I'd love to know the cost for Deep Silver to shaft their fanbase this way. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm
My brother bought the game from Humble Bundle before the deal happened, and while he did still get a Steam copy, apparently he has a glitch where it says "EXE is missing", so the game won't work for him at all. This whole thing just sounds like one big mess.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm
Yeah I saw some complaining about that on the Steam forums. Some attributed it to pre-loading, which is another reason why I eventually downloaded my game from scratch this morning. I never had that issue. 

It is also possible that certain anti-virus are flagging the EXE file as a false-positive. This has happened to me with Kaspersky with other games, such as Outlast 2. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:17pm
Well, he now has an EXE, but apparently the game plays an unskippable cutscene and then crashes Dead 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:21pm
It does seem very random. Has he made sure he has updated his GPU drivers? Could be a factor.

I only played three hours of it today in total because I had other things to do and I also don't want to rush the game (mainly in case of early patches), but the worse issue I had was one freeze in the options menu which righted itself. No actual crashes for me, as yet. Early days though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:50am
If your brother is still having trouble, playing on DX11 rather than DX12 appears to have helped some players. This only applies if he's on Windows 10 though, since DX12 isn't used on older Windows versions. Just a thought. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
I'm pretty sure it's working for him now. I've seen some footage of the game, and the graphics honestly don't look too good to me, considering it's supposedly very demanding on PC (and PS4 version runs like crap, from what I've seen.) I'm not all about graphics, or anything, but it barely looks better than Last Light Redux, imo.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:55pm
It's not bad looking but yeah, I don't see a significant different to the Redux versions of the first two games. A big different on performance that you've got to remember though is that Exodus features larger above ground maps compared to largely linear underground levels of the previous games. 

But that's not a defence as Far Cry 5 looks fucking amazing and almost always runs flawlessly. Hopefully Exodus gets some patches to optimise it better. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm
Yeah, that's actually another reason why I decided to wait for a price drop: I'm kinda getting tired of everything going open world. I do like open world games sometimes, but I feel some games probably shouldn't go that route, and Metro is one of those. I never liked the outdoor parts as much as the underground sections, because I found them more confusing than fun, and they also lacked the tension and atmosphere of the underground sections. So, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Exodus as much as the first two, even without all the controversy. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm
Well it's not true open world as there are still levels with no back tracking, they are just much bigger and open after a few opening prologue sections that feel like the first two games.

I really haven't played enough of the first main level to form a true opinion of the game, but there are still underground parts to explore as well as buildings so far. The good thing is, the air is clear outside of Moscow, so you're not worrying about gas mask filters all the time (though these can be crafted now, as can other supplies and ammo). 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:39am
So far it actually looks like Exodus is escaping a bad reviewing bombing. 'Very Positive' grade on the Steam store currently. 

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:55am
Yeah it's good to see that the majority are actually judging the game rather than the business decision, even if many positive reviews do also have a dig at the Epic Store in them. 

The forum is pretty toxic though. There are definitely noticeable factions that range from boycott supporters who deem anyone playing the game whether on Epic, Steam or console a traitor, to Epic Store defenders who think the move is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course that one has those who really think that and those who have nothing better to do because they're trolling, probably because they haven't bought the game on Epic themselves. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:43am
I think my biggest issue with Exodus so far is that I decided to look up if this game has a good or bad ending and apparently it does and I already fucked up toward getting the good one on the first part of the first main mission, which really seems far too early in the game to decide how it's going to end. I think I'm allowed one more fuck up in the whole game now, otherwise I get the bad ending and my earlier fuck up apparently means one of the NPC characters on the train, who wasn't even involved in that first part of the mission, is going to die. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:51am
Well I just hit my first real bug. 

In the first main level there's a mission where you have to steal a rail carriage for the train. It's in a heavily guarded area so I decided to try to go full stealth for the mission.

Impossible. 

Even though I approached the area in stealth mode from a distance, leaving the noisy rail car a way back next to the nearest safe house so as to not attract attention, the enemies are already aware of my presence by the time I get close to the mission area and are actively searching for me as if I have broken stealth. I know for a fact that I have not. The autosave has also fucked me over by triggering after I entered the area, not at the start of it. I've managed to back out of the area and there's another area I can explore in the meantime which I hope resets this mission, otherwise I'm going to have to go in guns blazing and if there's one thing this supposed shooter has taught me already it's that it doesn't actually like it is you do that (guaranteed bad ending).

So feelings are turning more mixed as I progress. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:59am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I think my biggest issue with Exodus so far is that I decided to look up if this game has a good or bad ending and apparently it does and I already fucked up toward getting the good one on the first part of the first main mission, which really seems far too early in the game to decide how it's going to end. I think I'm allowed one more fuck up in the whole game now, otherwise I get the bad ending and my earlier fuck up apparently means one of the NPC characters on the train, who wasn't even involved in that first part of the mission, is going to die. 

I take this back - the guide was wrong about the first part counting. But: the game's performance has become unplayable upon reaching the next level. Uncontrollable stuttering even though FPS is above 60 all the time. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:26pm
The second area in Exodus turned out to be a short action level. I'm now on the second main open level, where performance has taken yet another drop, so much so I've been forced down from High settings to Medium (which still looks pretty good). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:30am
Second bug this morning: fell right through the road. Game decided autosave one second after the fall began. Lost a ton of progress. Angry

Also the debacle continues: Epic Store version has received it's first patch which has been withheld from Steam users. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 94>
  Share Topic