Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:02am
Another key I can't use. The game is Monsti. First come first served. As usual if you do take it, please just say that you have so other's don't waste their time. Thanks.

HDHDJ-RMWDL-HEDZT
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:40am
Steam sale begins tomorrow. The last one was rather uneventful for me; saved my money that I was building up in trading card junk sales and got Shadow of the Tomb Raider between sales. I've only built about £3 up since then but since it's Xmas time (plus my birthday) I may have some money coming my way. There's a few games I'm interested in, it just depends on how good the discount is, otherwise I may just put it aside for the new Metro game next year. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 11:36pm
Well, even though it is being finished it looks like I'm never buying Telltale's The Walking Dead Final Season, since they've just announced it's NOT coming back to Steam unless you already purchased it (and they've been blocking new purchases for weeks or even months). Instead, they've cut an exclusivity deal with something called Epic Store, which is something that a lot of people seem to be talking about lately, but has crept up on me and although it probably sounds like I'm just being awkward, I'm against what they stand for: basically another game company who wants a piece of Steam's pie and is prepared to get it by enticing developers away from Steam by taking a smaller cut of sales for themselves, which is fine for the devs but just creates a nuisance for actual PC players who then have to install yet another game client/launcher, have bank details put into another website (and they DON'T accept PayPal) and simply most annoying of all, makes your game library just that bit disorganised. It's bad enough that we need Origin to play Mass Effect games. Or that we're obviously going to need Bethesda.net to play any of their future titles including Elder Scrolls 6. I also bet that once they've drawn enough trade away from Steam they'll creep their cut of the profits up. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 8:29am
I picked up Sonic Forces recently but am not impressed. The first boss is insanely difficult in that you barely get any chance to actually hit it (if you miss, you have to repeat the whole wave of boss helpers) and it's so buggy that even if you do hit, you might automatically be propelled off the platform and have to start over with the boss back to full health. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I picked up Sonic Forces recently but am not impressed. The first boss is insanely difficult in that you barely get any chance to actually hit it (if you miss, you have to repeat the whole wave of boss helpers) and it's so buggy that even if you do hit, you might automatically be propelled off the platform and have to start over with the boss back to full health. 

I played the game with my nephew when he last stayed with us. That boss was a pain in the arse. The trick is, counter to pretty much every other Sonic boss that I can recall fighting, NOT to jump when the thing tries to slam you. 

It's a poor Sonic title overall to be honest. You're better off getting Sonic Mania. 
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 11:06am

Well, even though it is being finished it looks like I'm never buying Telltale's The Walking Dead Final Season, since they've just announced it's NOT coming back to Steam unless you already purchased it (and they've been blocking new purchases for weeks or even months). Instead, they've cut an exclusivity deal with something called Epic Store, which is something that a lot of people seem to be talking about lately, but has crept up on me and although it probably sounds like I'm just being awkward, I'm against what they stand for: basically another game company who wants a piece of Steam's pie and is prepared to get it by enticing developers away from Steam by taking a smaller cut of sales for themselves, which is fine for the devs but just creates a nuisance for actual PC players who then have to install yet another game client/launcher, have bank details put into another website (and they DON'T accept PayPal) and simply most annoying of all, makes your game library just that bit disorganised. It's bad enough that we need Origin to play Mass Effect games. Or that we're obviously going to need Bethesda.net to play any of their future titles including Elder Scrolls 6. I also bet that once they've drawn enough trade away from Steam they'll creep their cut of the profits up. 

Yeah, I've decided I want nothing to do with Epic Games Store, as well, largely because I hate the idea of different PC stores having different exclusives (it;s like console wars all over again, except limited to PC, which I find incredibly stupid) but also because the store is just so basic and barebones. It clearly is NOT in the customer's best interest to use that store, I'd say. There's no reviews, no forums and no way to really get information about the exclusive games there, except from other sources, which is a problem Steam obviously doesn't have. I also hate the lack of regional pricing, at least from American to Canadian, because I'm the kind of person where I need to know an exact amount before I'm willing to buy anything, and while I could guess, I'd hate to underestimate and spend even a couple dollars more than planned, because that's the kind of thing that just throws me off. So, at least for now, I want nothing to do with it, even though they have a game called Ashen, which I know I'd like, and I now have to wait at least a year or more in order to play it, thanks to their stupid exclusivity deal.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I played the game with my nephew when he last stayed with us. That boss was a pain in the arse. The trick is, counter to pretty much every other Sonic boss that I can recall fighting, NOT to jump when the thing tries to slam you. 

It's a poor Sonic title overall to be honest. You're better off getting Sonic Mania. 

I have that too but haven't tried it yet. 

I know what the pattern for beating the first Sonic Forces boss should be, but when Sonic gets propelled away after landing a successful attack and just falls straight off the platform that's the point steam starts coming out of my ears and I rage quit. Also, I've found not jumping to not actually work half the time either: the targeting icon simply doesn't appear. 

I dislike the overall camera angle on the stage as well: it reminds me too much of the very awkward Sonic 3D back on the Mega Drive.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

but also because the store is just so basic and barebones. It clearly is NOT in the customer's best interest to use that store, I'd say. There's no reviews, no forums and no way to really get information about the exclusive games there, except from other sources, which is a problem Steam obviously doesn't have.

Yeah, all areas that Steam has spent years building up and excelling in. Of course the Steam forums (and reviews) can be pretty toxic at times (a fault of the userbase, rather than Valve) but not having any platform to discuss a game and get help and tips certainly isn't progress. 

For me it really does boil down to the fact that I don't want to start collecting any games over yet another launcher. I already have Steam. I tolerate Origin for Mass Effect. I'll tolerate Bethesda.net for future single-player Elder Scrolls/Fallout titles, albeit under protest*. Given that I've never even finished the last Telltale Walking Dead game, or even played the Michonne one, The Walking Dead The Final Season isn't going to be enough to make me put up with Epic. 

*I don't even have Bethesda.net installed and it's still a pain in the arse for existing titles on Steam: They've just updated Dishonoured 2/Death of the Outsider with new game modes and held them at ransom for signing into Bethesda.net in a game that never used it before and isn't even developed by Bethesda. Creation Club is a pain in the arse too, especially on Fallout 4, since I don't use that content but every time they update it it changes the whole game version which makes Fallout 4 Script Extender stop working and all free mods that use require updating before they can be used again. 

Not that I've played Fallout 4 much for a while. Something, somewhere has really buggered up in my game and I've never been able to trace the source to a particular mod, or if its some stupid update they've done. Nor have I been able to find a single person online who has the same problem. See example. 

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 1:53am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:54am
Well, yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing that will happen if you have literally no support pages available. Obviously, Steam forums and reviews can be bad at times, but they can also be very helpful, because you know whenever a game has some kind of blatant issue or if it does work right on certain systems or something, you can trust someone on Steam will let you know about it. The problem is, yes they do get carried way with hate campaigns on games over really stupid reasons, but at least that generally tends to happen on major releases, that are easy to find information about, anyway. I find with more obscure games, I can pretty much always find at least a few well detailed reviews on Steam to let me know what they're all about, so I can decide if they're for me or not.

With Epic, I'd need to do all the research somewhere else, which is a drag. I had already known about Ashen for a while, so that one isn't a problem, but they also have an exclusive called Hades, from a developer I liked in the past, but again, they give no information about it, and the game has no Steam page, so trying to find information about that one sure was a drag. I eventually did, and confirmed I wanted nothing to do with it, despite liking the developer, but the difference is, with Steam I would have found enough information to make that decision several times more quickly than I did in this case.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 3:44am
Have to admit, I'm finding myself tempted by the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on Steam for just under £23. While I always found the first game on the PS1 to suffer from serious design flaws that were fixed in the next instalments, Cortex Strikes Back and Warped numbered among my favourite PS1 titles, especially Warped. I still own those two and fire them up every now and then. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 7:06am
^Yeah the early Crash games are great. That being said however, I'm not sure I would bother w/ the N. Sane Trilogy. Maybe it's just me but the platforming doesn't feel as solid for whatever reason and I've died a great number of times on spots that weren't a problem in their original incarnations. There's definitely something a bit "off" w/ these remastered games that I can't quite put my finger on! Stick w/ the originals is what I would say.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:56am
^ That's an unfortunate thing to hear. I wish there was a demo available to try.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
I played the PS4 version and liked it a lot. The only thing that felt a bit off to me was the collision detection, which felt very harsh. Like, there would be times where it didn't look like anything was touching me, yet I'd die anyway. I kinda figured it was deliberate, that's how bad it is. Aside from that, though, I thought the games were still great. But yeah, the first game in particular is almost torture in this version (fuck that bloody High Road level Angry) but the other two were excellent the whole way through.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 3:27am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 10:09am
Yeah, a lot of people are saying it feels like a big middle finger to Bethesda, for making Fallout 76, especially because the reveal trailer said "From the original creator of Fallout", so they felt that was a big knock against Bethesda. The game looks great, though, and I especially like the inclusion of "Dumb" dialogue options LOL

Edited by DippoMagoo - 26 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 11:26am
The Fallout enthusiast in me wants to play Fallout 76 just to explore. However A) No Steam and B) Other players (I hate MMO's and online multiplayer titles in general - all my experiences with them have been bad) means it's a game I'll never purchase.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 11:41am
I went ahead and bought Crash. I figured that I get two hours to try it out on Steam and if it does have problems I can get it refunded no questions asked so long as I don't pass two hours playtime. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:17pm

I went ahead and bought Crash. I figured that I get two hours to try it out on Steam and if it does have problems I can get it refunded no questions asked so long as I don't pass two hours playtime. 

Mostly good impressions so far, except that jumping over things seems VERY sensitive and I've already fallen down too many chasms or into lava pits while being chased by dinosaurs than I care to mention. I don't recall if the originals were so sensitive but on this one you certainly don't have any room for error as Crash's jump is really poor. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:20pm
Yeah, along with the collision detection, the game has some slight input delay issues, as well, I think. I mostly never noticed it until Warped, though, where I could barely even get the double jump to come out at all, and it started driving me insane. Most of the time, I felt the controls were pretty good. The first game is extremely frustrating, but I kinda figured that's how it always was, especially since 2 and Warped felt great, aside from the aforementioned double jump issues I had in Warped. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 94>
  Share Topic