Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 7:39am
Aside from music as a whole, another true love of mine is video games. This is just a thread where we can express our love of video games, post what games we're playing, give recommendations, and discuss just about anything else you wish.

I've been really into these games lately:

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Oct 2018 at 2:24am
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 9:38am
I'm definitely a fan of video games, and have a decent sized collection.  That being said, I was always a few years behind when it came to console systems.  The newest gaming system I own is an original X-Box.  I do enjoy collecting older games and systems.  Here is a list of the systems I own:

- X-Box
- Nintendo GameCube
- NES
- GameBoy Advance (also plays GameBoy and GameBoy Color games)
- Sega Genesis
- Sega Dreamcast
- Sony Playstation

My brother also has a few systems I ocasionally use (Playstation 2, Super NES).  I used to own a few retro systems with a ton of games that I regret getting rid of when I was a teenager (Atari 2600, Sega Master System).  One of the first game systems I ever owned was a Coleco Gemini system I saw at a flea market (which I don't own anymore).  It was a system designed to run Atari games.

I didn't own a video game system until I got a GameBoy when I was around 11, so before then I just had to marvel at the video games my friends owned.  I soon found a Nintendo at a yard sale, and enjoyed that for a while as well.  I had gotten rid of that Nintendo, but reacquired another one about 6 months ago.

My fondest video game memory is when my brother and I saved up our allowances and bought an original Playstation.  We bought it at Canadian tire back when they used to sell toys. Smile
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 11:41am
^
Sweet! I like retro gaming systems myself. I've got an old Xbox, Gamecube, 'Pikachu' Nintendo 64 and a pokemon limited edition Gameboy Colour. I'm now looking for some Sega systems; the Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast appeal to me very much. I also wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of Atari's machines.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 2:35pm
Being part of the younger generation that I am, the oldest systems I usually play are from the PSX/N64 era. I do enjoy some SNES and NES stuff, but most of my gaming tends to be from the last 15 years or so. I started out gaming with a PlayStation2, so I set my standards pretty high in terms of graphics, controls, etc...

Then again, the original Doom is in my top 5 games ever...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 2:45pm
I had an Intellivision when I was a kid.  That is the only gaming system that I have ever owned.  I've considered getting a newer system so that I could play some of the newer sports games that I see the commercials for and such but I doubt that I will actually ever get around to it. 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I had an Intellivision when I was a kid.  That is the only gaming system that I have ever owned.  I've considered getting a newer system so that I could play some of the newer sports games that I see the commercials for and such but I doubt that I will actually ever get around to it. 

I own an X-Box game that compiles a ton of the old Intellivision games on it.  Many of the games I honestly have no idea how to play.  LOL  The game "Shark, Shark" is cute.

I'm also big into sports games, but have always been behind the times.  The only time I actually had some current sports games was when they still released games for the original Playstation and X-Box, so the newest ones I own are NHL 07, NHL 2K7, and NBA 2K7.  I love playing NBA-Jam (regular and tournament edition) and the EA Sports NHL games (I believe my brother and I have all of them combined for the Genesis).  The best part of the old ones is that the Leafs actually had some pretty great teams (particularly on NHL 94 with Gilmour, Clark, Andreychuk, and Potvin among others).
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I own an X-Box game that compiles a ton of the old Intellivision games on it.  Many of the games I honestly have no idea how to play.  LOL  The game "Shark, Shark" is cute.

I'm also big into sports games, but have always been behind the times.  The only time I actually had some current sports games was when they still released games for the original Playstation and X-Box, so the newest ones I own are NHL 07, NHL 2K7, and NBA 2K7.  I love playing NBA-Jam (regular and tournament edition) and the EA Sports NHL games (I believe my brother and I have all of them combined for the Genesis).  The best part of the old ones is that the Leafs actually had some pretty great teams (particularly on NHL 94 with Gilmour, Clark, Andreychuk, and Potvin among others).

I've never been a huge fan of sports games... I enjoy some the Madden games from time to time, but most of the major sports franchises rehash the same formula each year. Not to mention that I don't care a whole lot for sports either.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 5:36pm
Speaking of football games, I've got to get myself a copy of Tecmo Bowl (or Tecmo Super Bowl) for Nintendo.  I've only played it on emulators, but they're fun!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 6:26pm
I'm thinking about dusting off my N64 once I finish up Red Dead Redemption and Condemned. I can't wait to revisit some classics like Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, and Super Smash Bros. Smile

Any other N64 games you guys would recommend picking up before then?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 7:06pm
I'm honestly struggling to remember some of the N64 games I once had in my collection.  I recall playing Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart 64 and the ones you mentioned.  I don't have much experience with the system myself.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 8:48pm

I'm honestly struggling to remember some of the N64 games I once had in my collection.  I recall playing Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart 64 and the ones you mentioned.  I don't have much experience with the system myself.

DK64 is great! I remember really loving that game when I was about 11 years old...

I also used to really like Mario Kart 64, but it's pretty shallow overall.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:04pm
I forgot about this one... I'm beginning a replay later tonight. Smile

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:55pm
I can't believe Ocarina of Time slipped my mind as well.  It's commonly considered the top game of the system, and even the top Zelda game ever.  I haven't even played half the Zelda games, so I can't say it's the best.  The only ones I've played off the top of my head are Ocarina, Link To The Past, and Wind Waker.  Plus I'm pretty familiar with Majora's Mask since my sister owns it.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:33pm
Yesterday I bought:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Gears of War

And I pre-ordered Call of Duty: Black Ops. Smile
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:43am
I just bought this one for only $5:

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:48am
I never played that game, but I used to have a Turok comic book in my collection.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:28am

I never played that game, but I used to have a Turok comic book in my collection.

I've played through a bit of it last night, and it seems pretty good!

The controls take some getting used to, and the save/checkpoint system is pretty frustrating though...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:54pm
Today I picked this up as a rental:

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:17pm
I didn't know that you could still rent games for Game Cube. 

I remember the first video game i rented was Jungle Book for GameBoy.  It was at the grand opening of a video game store (which has since closed down).  It was really packed that day, but every other time I went in there it was pretty much just my brother and me.  The store, from the chain Microplay, lasted a lot longer than I thought it would (I'd guess 12 years).
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 7:08pm

I didn't know that you could still rent games for Game Cube. 

I remember the first video game i rented was Jungle Book for GameBoy.  It was at the grand opening of a video game store (which has since closed down).  It was really packed that day, but every other time I went in there it was pretty much just my brother and me.  The store, from the chain Microplay, lasted a lot longer than I thought it would (I'd guess 12 years).

It was from my library. Big smile That place has a HUGE selection of games for free 1-week rentals. I've literally played dozens of games that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 94>
  Share Topic