Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Metallica really responsible ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Certainly, in the 80s and early 90s, Anthrax were more than just a musical footnote - regardless if we like them or not.

I don't understand why people think Anthrax is the worst of the big four often, they are very underrated. Anthrax is my personal favorite of the big four. Big smile 

They were very important in the development in thrash and speed metal, just listen to Spreading the Disease.

Interestingly, I did not really like Anthrax back in the day, and I only got into them on The Sound of White Noise,  because I liked how groovy 'Room for One More' is. Then I started really backtracking from there, and now I'm a big fan of the Belladonna-fronted stuff, while I find the John Bush stuff less interesting. I particularly love Among the Living, and I think that 'Indians' is one of the best thrash metal songs of all time. There's some really good stuff on Worship Music too.

Worship Music was a great comeback album Clap
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Gabimm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 4:10pm

Certainly, in the 80s and early 90s, Anthrax were more than just a musical footnote - regardless if we like them or not.

I don't understand why people think Anthrax is the worst of the big four often, they are very underrated. Anthrax is my personal favorite of the big four. Big smile 

They were very important in the development in thrash and speed metal, just listen to Spreading the Disease.

Interestingly, I did not really like Anthrax back in the day, and I only got into them on The Sound of White Noise,  because I liked how groovy 'Room for One More' is. Then I started really backtracking from there, and now I'm a big fan of the Belladonna-fronted stuff, while I find the John Bush stuff less interesting. I particularly love Among the Living, and I think that 'Indians' is one of the best thrash metal songs of all time. There's some really good stuff on Worship Music too.

Worship Music was a great comeback album Clap

I agree, Anthrax is pretty cool, but I still prefer the Exodus.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:27am
Zetro-fronted Exodus definitely is one of the most awesome things in the world.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Incorporating classical music into metal? YES!
And a damn fine job at that. They perfected a hybrid hinted at since Deep Purple AND pulled it off.

Er, what? Confused 

I think you are confusing Metallica with Yngwie Malmsteen.

Nope. Not the neoclassical type of metal. Cliff Burton was a trained classical musician and incorporated it into the songwriting. Many of those catchy chord progressions have their roots in J.S.Bach amongst others. Subtle but that's what makes it utterly brilliant. I will go along with Metallica as the kings of early thrash. They really did add an extra oomph to the metal world unlike any other of the day.

He had some classical training in college and some piano lessons, which I think is different than a trained classical musician, especially since he was not playing any classical instruments.

Be that as it may, I don't understand the distinction you are making with "neo-classical" and "incorporating classical music into metal". There is no obvious link between Burton's parts and classical music, except for the quiet part in To Live is to Die, which is way too late to credit the band for accomplishing what you say. What you call "subtle", I would call "essentially non-existent". In fact, I would argue that what you say Blackmore and Purple hinted at is way more prominent than anything Metallica did (like the live concerto - Metallica's S&M is shit by the way, just for the record). Cliff's contribution was knowledge of harmony and such, which he passed on to Hetfield and of course his free-spirited sense of songwriting which greatly influenced Metallica, hence the huge difference between Kill em All and Ride the Lightning. The adventurous songwriting is certainly not something pioneered by Metallica, even though I happen to believe that there are few things more perfect than the song Master of Puppets.

However, the main point is that you are grossly overlooking Malmsteen who truly fused classical music and metal, before Metallica and a gazillion times more notably than Metallica  - and his influence can be traced back to Blackmore partially (but how much further) and his documented studying of classical composers (including Bach and Paganini). His influence is undeniable. The fact that they called his stuff "neoclassical" is the dead giveaway. And every genre of metal that has classical music influences takes its cue from Malmsteen really. Before him of course there were many who had traces of direct classical music influences, like Blackmore and Rainbow (Difficult to Cure?), Van Halen's eruption bit, Ozzy's (well, Randy's) Mr Crowley intro, even that Am I Evil? lick at the beginning, just from the top of my head. But all these are just small things, little tastes of classical flavour. And still way more prominent than any Metallica bit (again, save To Live is to Die). And of course this is not even touching upon the prog rock and symphonic rock stuff of the 70s, which did feature actual classically trained pianists as keyboard players for example. But Malmsteen, man, he just totally fused the two, essentially created the hybrid, as you put it.

I love Cliff Burton more than most people and I have a VERY, VERY soft spot for him and I always say that without him Metallica would never have accomplished 1/10th of what they did. But to claim he (and the band) brought classical music to metal is waaaaay off the mark IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic