FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Metallica really responsible ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Well Metallica was certainly a big component in the popularity of Thrash, but I don't really think they were the only ones. I think one of the reasons for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer being named 'The big four of thrash' is that all those bands all had a big part to play in the development of thrash metal. Smile

I can also see where they are coming from though, seeing as Metallica seemed to get the most popularity. Seems like an interesting series though, is it on DVD or is it an online series? Tongue

It is an intereting series. You can watch the series online at VH1Classic.com or buy the 11-part series on DVD
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 5:09pm
Metallica were the greatest and most popular thrash metal act of the 80s and was a huge influence on thousands of artists. You won´t find many thrash metal acts out there who don´t site Metallica as a major influence on their music, but you´ll find quite a few who won´t mention one or more of the other three. I think that says it all.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:58pm
Well Metallica was certainly a big component in the popularity of Thrash, but I don't really think they were the only ones. I think one of the reasons for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer being named 'The big four of thrash' is that all those bands all had a big part to play in the development of thrash metal. Smile

I can also see where they are coming from though, seeing as Metallica seemed to get the most popularity. Seems like an interesting series though, is it on DVD or is it an online series? Tongue
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2014 at 4:51pm
As of late, I have been watching the documentary series entitled Metal Evolution and in it  it said that Metallica made Thrash and other side of Metal(the more menacing side of it) more accessible to the masses (there is a legitimate claim to this argument). Do you believe that this is true? I can understand what they are talking in sense(because many bands decided to follow or truly followed that route) but I don't really believe it because bands could have easily decided to stick with their guns(like Slayer for example) and say "screw that we're not changing". Let me know what you think. Was Metallica really responsible for this?
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic