Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agalloch: "Marrow of the Spirit"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agalloch: "Marrow of the Spirit"
    Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 4:39am
Pacific Northwest dark metal legends AGALLOCH have completed work on their fourth full-length entitled �Marrow Of The Spirit�, the follow-up to 2006�s �Ashes Against The Grain�.

Where the three predecessors to �Marrow Of The Spirit� (namely �Pale Folklore�, �The Mantle�, and the aforementioned �Ashes Against The Grain�) all differ from each other, the same can be applied with the new album as �Marrow Of The Spirit� is unlike anything AGALLOCH have ever produced before.  This is also the first album to feature new AGALLOCH drummer Aesop Dekker (also in Profound Lore acts LUDICRA and WORM OUROBOROS) and features guest appearances by cellist Jackie Perez Gratz (GRAYCEON, GIANT SQUID, ASUNDER, AMBER ASYLUM), Jeffrey Neblock (VINDENSANG), and Nathan Carson (WITCH MOUNTAIN, TWO-TON BOA, SUNN 0)))).  

Recorded and mixed on analog through the means of exquisite vintage gear within the months of July and August in Portland, Oregon at Audible Alchemy Studios with (FAUST guitarist) Steven Wray Lobdell and mastered and manifested in San Francisco, California at Trakworx Studios with Justin Weis (LUDICRA, SLOUGH FEG, HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE) the six time-stretching songs that encompass �Marrow Of The Spirit� each come across as their own distinct identities amongst themselves.  At over an hour in length, �Marrow Of The Spirit� is AGALLOCH�s darkest, bleakest, most dense, detailed and aggressive album to date and in turn is the most accomplished album of their career.

To officially be released in North America Nov 23th through Profound Lore Records, tracklisting for �Marrow Of The Spirit� goes as follows:

1.    They Escaped The Weight Of Darkness [3:41]
2.    Into The Painted Grey [12:25]
3.    The Watcher�s Monolith [11:46]
4.    Black Lake Nidstang [17:34]
5.    Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires [9:40]
6.    To Drown [10:27]

WEST COAST TOUR WITH ALLERSEELEN ANNOUNCED

In accordance with the release of �Marrow Of The Spirit�, AGALLOCH have announced a West Coast tour with Austrian industrial/neo-folk/martial ambient act Allerseelen.  The tour begins on Dec 17th in AGALLOCH�s hometown of Portland, Oregon which will also serve as their record release show.  The dates with Allerseelen go as follows:

December
12/17 � Portland, OR @ Berbati�s Pan (w/Aerial Ruin)
12/18 � Seattle, WA @ Neumo�s (w/Alda)
12/21 � Los Angeles, CA @ tba
12/22 � San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall (w/Dispirit)

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=998&Itemid=2

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 4:51am
I�ve just added the album, but I�m a bit in doubt which genre tag I should apply to it. For now it�s doom metal.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 4:44pm
It sounds like it should be an interesting release, looking forward to it!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:17pm
Sounds cool! I look forward to hearing it! Smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:07am
Really anticipated release, as I revere the previous two full-lengths (the first one is quite a magical one too, but does not possess the same amount of personal nostalgia as the next two).
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:42pm
I revere all of their albums to some extent (+ The White EP), although The Mantle is in my top 5 albums ever. I really hope they continue with this release.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 6:55am
there are great expectation for this album, and i hope they won't let us down
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:30am
One streamable track:
http://stereogum.com/560291/hear-agallochs-the-watchers-monolith-read-our-qa-with-john-haughm/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Not so fond of the overpowered snare drum, song-wise I won't comment anything yet, not until the whole album is out. We'll see!
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:45am
Another new track:
http://www.vivahaterecords.com/agalloch/

I'm not so convinced, must say!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:21pm
Hmm, both tracks are good. I won't say they completely blew me away... but Agalloch has always been a band that grows on you, so I'll just give them some time.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:54pm
I think I liked the second track better than the first, but I've only heard each twice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic