MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who do you think is the best of the Big Four?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [31.82%]
5 [22.73%]
4 [18.18%]
6 [27.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best of the Big Four of Thrash Metal?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:01am
So, Who does everyone think is the best of the big four? I love them all, but For me it's Anthrax. Smile

Edited, because back when I made this poll I voted Megadeth. 

Edited by Unitron - 17 Jan 2016 at 11:34am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:38am
Oddly Slayer never did much for me but I love the first three. Anthrax is under-rated, but Megadeth for me too.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:42am
I´m a giant Slayer fanboy, so there´s no competition if you ask me Big smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:45am
I could never get into Slayer or Anthrax. Megadeth I enjoy but only seem to be able to take in small doses so I guess I have to say Metallica. The early albums are still some of the best thrash releases I've ever heard even if their output has been less than stellar since. There are definitely more non-big 4 thrash bands I seem to enjoy hell of a lot more these days though.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:46am
Yeah those first four Metallica albums are definitely among the best thrash metal out there, but in a broader perspective the rest of their disco devaluates them in this poll IMO.

I like all four bands though.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 8:49am
I watched a live performance of them all playing 'Am I Evil?'
It's hard to choose, but I would pick Anthrax.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 9:05pm
Metallica 
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I could never get into Slayer or Anthrax. Megadeth I enjoy but only seem to be able to take in small doses so I guess I have to say Metallica. The early albums are still some of the best thrash releases I've ever heard even if their output has been less than stellar since. There are definitely more non-big 4 thrash bands I seem to enjoy hell of a lot more these days though.
i think metallica has been back on tracksince death magnetic except for lulu. lords of summer is a great track
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:03am
I'm starting to think that Anthrax is the most consistent of them all.
They never screwed things up like the other 3 did.

Metallica - St Anger, Lulu, even Death Magnetic ain't that Great, the Loads are uneven and so was the black album.
Megadeth - a lot of uneven material, plus Supercollider was terrible.
Slayer - God Hates Us All is their worst, barely listenable, their last one is rather average

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 3:34am
I went with Anthrax today. Other days it would be Slayer. It's never been Megadeth, and can no longer be Metallica.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:32pm
If I count the # of "essential" (in my mind) thrash albums from each band I get:

Metallica - 3
Megadeth - 5
Anthrax - 3
Slayer - 5

...in every case being the earliest studio releases.

so I went with Megadeth, whose non-essential albums are a hair better than Slayer's for me

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 24 Jan 2016 at 3:33pm
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 1:31am
Essential Metallica: first 5 + Garage Inc
Essential Slayer: first 5 + Live Undead + Haunting the Chapel
Essential Megadeth: First 6 +Hidden Treasures (maybe +System has Failed+Dystopia?)
Essential Anthrax: First 5

According to the above I should have said Megadeth. But for me Metallica of the 80s >> the universe, so...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 10:30am
I just went with Metallica. All these bands have their share of total crap after their heyday, it's just Metallica had a few of the best in them before they switched on the crap button and pumped out some of the worst music ever made. Anthrax was cool but i never thought they made whole albums that blew me away. Megadeth has been patchy even at the beginning and Slayer while i'm liking much more these days still lacks the overall diverse sounds found on the first few Metallica releases.

I agree with Adam, i would rather listen to dozens of other thrash bands these days: Coroner, Sepultura, Artillery, Kreator, Overkill, Vektor, Forbidden all have much more to offer as far as whole discographies go
welive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 3:06am
For me it's Slayer > Megadeth > Metallica, though I haven't heard enough of Anthrax to decide.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 2:04pm
A tough question depending on how you look at it...

Metallica for best album of the lot with Master Of Puppets though Slayer's Reign In Blood isn't far behind. 

Megadeth despite a few duffers have a better overall track record up to their latest Dystopia - Metallica have been pretty mediocre for the last 20 years.

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 4:25am
This is hard, so let's look at how I feel about each band:

Slayer - my average rating for their stuff tends to be in the 3 - 3.5 star range with higher ratings for the 1985 - 1990 period. Not a massive fan overall. However they are the only one of the four who have never turned their back on thrash, which I guess gives them bonus points.

Anthrax - again not a massive fan overall. I like Among the Living a lot however I haven't given them any five stars. I see their groove period as a turn for the worse.

Metallica - first 4 are excellent with Ride the Lightning being one of my favourite thrash metal releases of all time. After Justice though they took a turn for the worse which they still haven't recovered from. They have the dubious distinction of having produced both the best and worst releases of the Big 4.

Megadeth - I think that they've maintained a little stronger average level of quality since their heyday (1986 - 1992 for me), but they do have one less 4.5 from me than Metallica has. Their worst releases are still more listenable than Metallica's though.

So in terms of favourite releases it has to be Metallica, but with deductions for bads releases taken into account as well I guess that means Slayer is actually the one deserving of my vote. I have to go with the band I'm more likely to listen to though, which is Metallica.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 4:34am
Should also point out though along the lines of what others have said,  do have thrash bands I enjoy more than any of these. Exodus and Artillery I like a lot while even Annihilator has 2 five star ratings from me for their first two albums (they average at 3 - 3.5 after that).
Wyvern_13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyvern_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 7:37am
Testament.

Ok, I kid. Sort of. I do enjoy Metallica a lot (up until and after St. Anger that is) but I rarely feel like listening to them anymore except maybe one or two songs here and there. I've never really gotten into Anthrax so they're out. Megadeth is alright as far as instruments go but the day Dave Mustaine convinced himself that he could do vocals is a sad, sad day in the history of music. Slayer is a hit and miss band for me but honestly, with the hits they outrank the rest of the 4 in terms of how likely I am to listen to it. I mean, I can almost always put on South of Heaven or God Hates Us All and not feel the need to listen to something else halfway through.

So yea, Slayer it is I guess.
Þessi undirskrift kemur málinu bara alls ekkert við!
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 7:29pm
Slayer!
Inexistence is the true normality.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic