Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert come out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert come out
    Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:38am
Not joking.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cynicex-death-members-paul-masvidal-sean-reinert-publicly-discuss-their-sexuality-for-first-time/

Can't say I saw this coming, mainly because I have minimal interest in Cynic, but cool.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:56pm
I´ve always suspected that Paul was gay, but I didn´t know or suspect that Sean was too. No problem at all though, I think it´s great that they chose to live an open life as homosexuals. We only have one life, no need to hide who you really are and not get the full out to the life you have.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:36pm
From a feature article in LA Times:

"I see all those old dudes out there just banging their heads to our records," Reinert said, wearing an imposing goatee and extra-large Miami Dolphins jersey. "And I have to think — 'That stuff you're banging your head to? That is some gay, gay metal, man.'"

That's hilarious! :-D
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 11:38pm
That´s me and you he is talking about Kim LOL although what he implies about that type of guy (that such a type of guy has anyhting against Gays) isn´t true.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 3:59am
I've heard that the US metal scene in the early 90s was quite homophobic, so it's probably those people he's referring to.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:13am
Yeah he is right. There are still a lot of homophobic people around (and as you mention probably even more back in the 90s). I´ll never understand why some people have a desire to limit other people´s freedom of expression and lifestyle. Why not just say "to each his own" and then live your life the way you want to live it?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 6:05am
I always thought that "be who you are regardless of what mainstream dictates" was one of the main ethos of heavy metal culture... so, by that logic, homophobia is extremely un-metal.

By the way, here's the article from LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-c1-gay-heavy-metal-20140508-story.html#page=1

The most important comment, I think, is - ironically - from Cynic's non-gay member Sean Malone: "What I'm proud of is that Paul and Sean know that this isn't really about them — it's about the kid out there who is struggling and suffering in silence, and that for him or her, this conversation might be a source of encouragement," Malone said.

Edited by Time Signature - 09 May 2014 at 6:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic