MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horror films

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horror films
    Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 9:38pm
So, I'm fucking back, fuckcakes. After about a year, and I'm still the same old depressed, deplorable piece of donkey shit I was back then, but ignoring all that pessimistic shithead retardation, I have taken a recent interest; horror films. I don't really like gore fest shit like Saw, but real horror films (I don't mind slashers, just not ridiculously gory plotless ones) designed to scare you and not just gross you out like; The Shining, The Silence of the Lambs, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Shutter Island, etc...

Wondering if anyone else shares this affinity.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 1:14am
I used to love both horror and splatter movies but it´s like my love for them isn´t the same anymore after I had kids. I can recommend checking out Japanese and South Korean horror movies. They have always scared the shit out of me. "Tale of Two Sisters" for instance. Brrrr....I´ll never forget that one....

...just remember to Watch the originals and not the US remakes. The Grudge is a good example of a film that is much better in it´s original form than in the American version.

Edited by UMUR - 30 Nov 2013 at 1:45am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 4:32am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I used to love both horror and splatter movies but it´s like my love for them isn´t the same anymore after I had kids.

Same here. I just don't enjoy watching splatter movies anymore - I think maybe it's an age thing, or maybe its because they're so ridiculously formulaic. Back in the day, I though that the Friday the 13th movies were the shit, but now I think they're just dumb. I lost interest in that stuff around Scream 2 and I Know What You Did Last Summer. I remember liking Scream 1 though because it was like a parodic metacommentary on splatter flicks and had a certain intelligent charm to it which the other Scream flicks lack. I still like the occasional zombie flick though, in particular Shaun of the Dead which, although a comedy, rivals the classics in both brilliance and gore. With zombie flicks, what I really like is the fist act - you know the build-up act which is typically much more creepy and horror-oriented than the second and third act which are typically more  I also still enjoy real horror movies though, in particular the classics... you know the Lugosi-Karloff-Chaney kind of stuff. And in so far as they count as horror flick, I absolutely love monster flicks like Gojira, Beast from 20.000 Fathoms, Them! (this one is fucking brilliant - emphasis on 'ant'), Tarantula and all that stuff. Cloverfield is a pretty good flick, too. Finally, I also enjoy horror b-movies - old and new - and I have a weakness for the ridiculous SyFy channel stuff, and in particular shark attack flicks. Of course Jaws and Jaws II are excellent, but in their wake follow a host of ridiculously awesome and awesomely ridiculous ones. They're typically also very formulaic, but I guess I simply like some horror genre formulas than others.

Some recommendations:
Jaws (1975)
Jaws II (1977)
Jersey Shore Shark Attack (2012) <- Joey Fatone from N'Sync is in it ;-)
Tarantula (1955)
The Wolf man (1941)
The Mummy (1932)
Beast from 20.000 Fathoms (1953)
Behemoth the Sea Monster (1959) <- there's a pretty gruesome nuclear radiation death scene in it (for 1959)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
It (1990) <- sadly, the end sucks, but the rest of this miniseries is an absolute classic, capturing the best and worst of the transition from the 80s to the 90s
Tremors (1990) <- one of my favorite movies
Them! (1954) <- one of the best moves ever made, it's a monster movie, but it builds on suspense rather than destruction and gore
Mega Python vs. Gatoroid (2011) <- silly b-movie fun
Frankenstein (1931)
Vampyr (1932)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Maximum Overdrive (1986) <- so (very) bad it's good

And, to anyone who enjoys horror movies, I recomend reading horror literature, too... it's a much more powerful experience to have to construct the terror yourself than being forced to rely on a film-maker's envision of it. I mean nothing beats reading Dracula or Stephen King's classics or Lovecraft's work.

Edited by Time Signature - 30 Nov 2013 at 4:34am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 4:52am
There´s the Whole torture movie genre too, if you´re interested in stuff like that. The Hostel movies are of course the most famous ones, but the French movie Martyrs are supposedly incredibly unpleasant. I haven´t had the "pleasure" watching that one yet though.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 12:49pm
Just bought this one!!!

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 7:27pm
Tara Reid....yummi
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 7:14am
You're in for a disappointment then... if you think she's still hot.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 8:36am
Oh...damn Ouch
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 8:55am
Jundge for yourself:

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 9:05am
It's shit like this that makes Sharknado worth watcing:

Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

It's shit like this that makes Sharknado worth watcing:

"Oh hey, look who else I found in here! Jimmy Hoffa, Amelia Earhart, and my missing left sock! This shark has everything!" - The Cinema Snob
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 6:39pm
Yeah, I've seen the Cinema Snob review. Good stuff :-) Not as good as his review of Godzilla though.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 6:10pm
I'm a huge fan of The Nightmare on Elm Street franchise Evil Smile
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:42pm
Would you believe I've never seen the original Friday the 13th or Halloween? Plan to do so this Halloween!Smile
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by musiclover60sn70s musiclover60sn70s wrote:

Would you believe I've never seen the original Friday the 13th or Halloween? Plan to do so this Halloween!Smile

Shocked Great flicks, especially the original Halloween. I personally have a Halloween tradition in which I watch a double dose of Nightmare movies each year LOL

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 02 Sep 2014 at 8:28pm
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic