MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DT
    Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:22pm
I was going to post this on PA but somebody already did, so I'll post here.

Well, he left the band, unfortunately. However, I don't feel that it will be all that bad. Yes managed to go through without Brufford, Wakeman and even Anderson! And every time they did killer albums.

Besides, I think that this may also be a great oportunity for them to work as a band, since that now the albums won't have to be the way he wants. I am anxiously awaiting their 2011 release! Big smile

Some links: (though they both have the same post)

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 10:21pm
Wow.  I'm stunned.  I better actually read the articles to make sure it's for real.

The aftermath could be interesting from a musical standpoint, whether or not DT decide to forge on.  For this reason, I can't say I'm very disappointed.  Mainly curious.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 12:19am
Wacko
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:28am

Holy friggin crap. Never thought I'd see this happen. While I don't personally think his style is that great, he was an integral part of Dream Theater's sound.

Now I'm wondering who will fill his shoes. There's a few metal drummers who could replace him (Danny Carey, Blake Richardson) but I hope they don't leave their respective bands.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:55am
Ha, I hope there wont be 15 threads about it here LOL

Not like a major member of a band has ever left before...but this was indeed sad news.
Was quite a fan of DT and Portnoy. This is was shame, no doubt.
I know musicians tire...but avenged sevenfold?
WHY MIKE? Disapprove
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 5:53am
I think Kevin Moore�s departure from the band had quite a significant impact on the sound. DT has never sounded the same since.

Replacing Portnoy will also prove extremely difficult. First of all the new drummer will have to be technically outstanding, but he will also have to remember some very long and structurally complicated tracks. We�re talking someone who didn�t smoke too much weed back in the day and forget which day it is today. ( ehhh...btwBig smile)

Edited by UMUR - 09 Sep 2010 at 6:55am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:08am
He'll be back.... give it a year or two, and he'll probably return. If not, it certainly will be interesting to see which direction they choose.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:37am
Portnoy was always the extreme metal lover in DT. Can�t wait to hear him play some more extreme music. He has often stated in reviews that he would love to play some more aggressive music.

DT�s future? I can only see a more softer DT after Portnoy�s departure.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
Okay,

So maybe theres another thread but I didnt see it . . .
Recent Note:
CCVP put up a Post of the News 1st:
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=950&PN=1

Thank you for moving this Thread into CCVP's Thread RAFF
Wink. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm still shocked and have sent my understanding comment at Portnoys Face Book Cry.

Need to say this (Especially since I put this up)...
Something that would be nice to AVOID here is the "Portnoy/DT Bashing band wagon" I see happen
everywhere, including at his own website Ouch.

If youre gonna' voice an opinion, just be tactful here, be "constructive" and picture this, if You are a
Drummer, remember, there will ALWAYS be someone who thinks YOU suck as well, and if youre
NOT a drummer . . . well, better take lessons and find out how hard it is to play technical (I'm a
Guitarist) or just be "Logical" and think about what you will write . . . dont be an @ssH0l3 Tongue.
This isnt the YOUtube comments under a Vid and I'd hope youre smarter than a 15 year old Troll LOL!

I'll leave my comment here at some point-that you can find within the THOUSANDS of fans that
have left their messages . . .

Okay heres what Mike left himself on FaceBook:

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

by Mike Portnoy on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 5:21pm

Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...

Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,

MP

"Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here...
But please never let your memory of me disappear...."

--- The Spirit Carries On

http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Sep 2010 at 3:19pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:57am
Damn, just left another Post here as well:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=952&PN=1

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Ha, I hope there wont be 15 threads about it here LOL

Sorry about that Embarrassed, I guess there are 2 now . . .
(Theres a link to a comment by Jordan Rudess as well).

To say for now, I hope Mike and Band continue their friendship and that they will re-group at some
point, they need the "Hiatus" and get their creative juices flowing again.
But to me . . .
This is like Neil Peart leaving Rush Cry.

More ranting later . . .

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Sep 2010 at 8:11am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:06am
Also,

Jordan Rudess comments, though why he became the spokesman and not Petrucci or Myung,
but anyways I guess someone needed to say something:
http://www.jordanrudess.com/jr/

09/09/2010
DREAM THEATER Press Release
To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity -- and in the same musical tradition -- that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Sep 2010 at 8:26am

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:13am
I wonder if this will affect their status on Roadrunner Records.  Will the label "force" a drummer on them or anything (I've heard some odd stories about that label)?  I've heard people mention Joey Jordison's name, but he'd be a poor fit IMO.  If Mike's absence is for more than 1 album, will Roadrunner keep them around?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:15am
Some how this is both a shock, and not a surprise.  I find that as a general rule, I tend to prefer the songs that were written by Petrucci over the songs that were written by Portnoy.  The songs that were written by Portnoy never really seemed to work for the band in my ears.  I think that part of this has to do with Labrie not really being the right singer for those songs.   His voice seems to be more attuned to Petrucci's songs than Portnoy's. 

That said, Portnoy is a heck of a metal drummer and his beats will be surely missed by the band.   
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:16am
OK guys, I've moved those two posts in the 'other' thread here, so that they are available to everyone who wants to read and respond to them. There will be a bit of a mess regarding the posting times, but I didn't want to lock the thread outright. Hope that's all right with you!
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:08am

Bad news but i'm really not too fond in DT to be honest...

Serious throwback to DT fans...
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:32am
God damn it. I'm stunned....

They'll never be the same without him behind the kit... Disapprove
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:43am
Indeed, the band needed a break time. It would give them time and space to get some fresh air. But...

Well, waiting for next 'Transatlantics' projects :)
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

OK guys, I've moved those two posts in the 'other' thread here, so that they are available to everyone who wants to read and respond to them. There will be a bit of a mess regarding the posting times, but I didn't want to lock the thread outright. Hope that's all right with you!

Thanks Raff you did a beautiful job.Smile
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I wonder if this will affect their status on Roadrunner Records.  Will the label "force" a drummer on them or anything (I've heard some odd stories about that label)?  I've heard people mention Joey Jordison's name, but he'd be a poor fit IMO.  If Mike's absence is for more than 1 album, will Roadrunner keep them around?

I think not. They are one of the biggest bands in Roadrunner, that would be ludicrous. Unlike their times in Atco/Eastwest/Warner, where they were just another fish in the ocean, now they are a big fish in a small lake.

Pretty improbable IMO.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I think not. They are one of the biggest bands in Roadrunner, that would be ludicrous. Unlike their times in Atco/Eastwest/Warner, where they were just another fish in the ocean, now they are a big fish in a small lake.

Pretty improbable IMO.

You're probably right.  There would probably need to be a significant drop in album sales for RR to drop Dream Theater.  Probably their fans are too loyal to let that happen, but I bet some RR execs are still going to lose a significant amount of sleep over this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic