MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Massive website upgrade happened Oct. 5, 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

This is really encouraging to see, Max and Phil.  This has spiked some motivation within me. Smile

+1 Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:37am
Been digging into the upgraded admin panel.

I can confirm that the new anti-spam measures successfully blocked it's first bot about 50 minutes ago. Party
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:45am
Possible issue: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=33598

We never had a guest account before, and this account has posts attached to it that pre-date it's creation. I have a horrible feeling that this has shown up to catch any orphaned posts due to the original account being deleted. I think one or possible more than one legit member was deleted. 
GG2U

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:21am
you are right -- I had to create a GUEST for deleted members' post
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
First of all, thank you Max and Graphix for your hard work.  The user list, it's...normal!

This new forum skin might take a bit of getting used to, but at least we aren't being bombarded with spam anymore.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:18pm
There's an issue with the top albums list, it's different when you go here compared to what appears across the site. Note the Haken album in 3rd by following the link (which is where it was a few days ago, as if the bigger list has not updated).

Edited by adg211288 - 07 Oct 2013 at 1:18pm
GG2U

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 3:03pm
The Front page MMA TOP 5 now only includes album released before 2012 (2011 and before)

to prevent new releases from gaining top places

I've added a mention about this.

What do you think about this ? Once we settle I will fix the link 
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Possible issue: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=33598

We never had a guest account before, and this account has posts attached to it that pre-date it's creation. I have a horrible feeling that this has shown up to catch any orphaned posts due to the original account being deleted. I think one or possible more than one legit member was deleted. 

At least three I believe, some of these posts were very recent too... forum's even cleaner than we wanted it to be <laugh track> Maybe they'll register again, who knows Smile

Anyway, so glad the spamflood's gone!!!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

The Front page MMA TOP 5 now only includes album released before 2012 (2011 and before)

I like it, but I also feel like we could have maybe discussed it with all the collabs before that change Wink
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 6:17pm
yes indeed ... i was testing the output and then we discuss if it's a good options and if you have better idea ! 

I am open to other perspectives 

Lamp
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:43pm
Looks like the number of forum members got cut almost in half, but at least we get a better idea of how many legit members are here.  I guess this was all part of the process.   
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 12:31am

I have actually long had thoughts on how the top lists are decided, including those on the sub genre pages. Perhaps instead of doing it by year it could be decided by the number of ratings? 

An example, in folk metal an album with only six ratings is in the top 10: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/subgenre/folk-metal

I personally think the album in question is a masterpiece that deserves to be there, but I also think it would make a more credible list if there was a bare minimum of ratings before a release got considered for inclusion there. 

Others subs have albums with even less ratings appearing in top lists. 

Edited by adg211288 - 08 Oct 2013 at 12:32am
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 6:24am

I have actually long had thoughts on how the top lists are decided, including those on the sub genre pages. Perhaps instead of doing it by year it could be decided by the number of ratings? 

An example, in folk metal an album with only six ratings is in the top 10: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/subgenre/folk-metal

I personally think the album in question is a masterpiece that deserves to be there, but I also think it would make a more credible list if there was a bare minimum of ratings before a release got considered for inclusion there. 

Others subs have albums with even less ratings appearing in top lists. 

I agree that the top 5 list should be decided by the number of ratings. I'd say 50 ratings would be fair for now.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 7:10am
I actually think 50 is a little excessive for the site right now. 10 - 20 was more the number range I had in my head. 
GG2U

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 8:22am
...as now the system consider only album with above average # ratings, like on PA.

I can tweak that, let me know your final decision
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 9:27am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

This is really encouraging to see, Max and Phil.  This has spiked some motivation within me. Smile

+1 Thumbs Up

+2Thumbs Up
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 12:34pm
I just noticed that the headbanging smiley seems to have vanished from the selection page. 
GG2U

Kev Rowland View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Rowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 11:53pm

Thumbs Up
we were excited to fix all theses issues together (finally), some were very technical and not visible, and some will help you enjoy the site more !

m@x - just want to add my thanks to those of everyone else.

Just a couple of small things - when I first joined as an S/C I started off by amending every album that didn't have a year against it by using the lists provided fromthe 'Albums - No Year' section. It is still showing as 129 albums with no year, but when I go through the sub genre listings I can't find any. Secondly, I can't find how to amend my profile - I wanted to see if the avatar upload issue had been resolved so that I could use the same one as on PMA, but even though I am logged in on both the webpage and the forum it just shows me my normal public listing as opposed to anything I can edit.

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:51am

I just noticed that the headbanging smiley seems to have vanished from the selection page. 

I will import it back,thanks for reporting
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 7:29pm
Any more  thoughts on TOP 5 MMA albums ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic