MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sometimes it's the little things that bother me
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sometimes it's the little things that bother me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sometimes it's the little things that bother me
    Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:16pm
I just bought Blood Mountain by Mastodon yesterday and proceeded to rip it to my computer.  The first thing that stood out was that among tracks of such short running time, the final track "Pendulous Sky", was 22:15 in length.  While I'm not the type who gets overly excited about super long songs, I was still quite intrigued.

Around five minutes into the song, I'm treated to several minutes of silence only to be followed by a rather brief  "hidden track".  While I don't mind hidden tracks/songs/messages on CD's, why falsely extend the running time of a song like that Angry.  I mainly get annoyed by it if I'm listening to my MP3 player on the go and want to hear the "bonus" content and have to fast forward through the empty space.  I recall Anthrax doing something similar on Volume 8 on "Stealing from a Thief", though the pause wasn't as big.

I say if you put a hidden track on an album, put it as it's own track but don't actually list it on the packaging.  The surprise is just the same when you find out you have an extra bonus at the end of the album, and it's not any more hidden if you pad the track length.

Do things like this bother anyone else or is it just me? LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 3:30pm
This is unfortunately not uncommon, as I have found out in my activity as a reviewer. Since on ProgressoR we list individual track times as well as the total running time of an album, you can understand this is a major pain in the buttAngry.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
I like hidden tracks when they are properly hidden. What I mean by that is if you ignore track lengths, the hidden track should be a natural progression from the track before. When done right, they are enjoyable. I agree that 10-15 minutes of silence is annoying, so an ambient bridge is often a better way to keep things going and interesting. It only really bothers me when the hidden track is shit.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 6:47pm
yes, ghost songs are a true plague. 
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 2:57am
Yes they don�t go down well with me either. Usually a waste of time and destroying the random track option.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 3:10am
I am done with seeing that as a problem (yes I would like if that song was 20 min prog onslought), but then Mastodon have a wicced sence of humor and I would not take that away from them. They don't take things to serioucly and that is what have made them progress so much is that they are carefree, freespoken, have the child within them, they enjoy fantasy literature, Star wars, sea food, prog rock and are wicced good song writers, and are realy good to fill their albums with just enough material that have variation, depth, contrasts, and good technical dissplay,

and they are not affraid to invite guests on their albums Josh Homme (who speaks on the last minutt on Pendulos Skin) on Colony of Birchmen, Scott Kelly, the Mars Volta duud, and finally they have included a Keybordist into their folds 

Edited by Balthamel - 05 Sep 2010 at 3:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic