MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Five Jazz Albums For A Metalhead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Five Jazz Albums For A Metalhead
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:27am
I'm embarrased to say that I haven't heard any of those albums, though I haven't been listening to jazz for very long (maybe 3 years excluding jazz fusion).  Looks like I've got some homework to do. Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:44pm
I've not heard any of those five jazz albums either.  Jazz is a genre of music that has never really interested me enough for me to listen to it all that much over the years.  I did develop a little bit more of an interested during my days at ProgArchives, but nothing too crazy so far.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:53pm
From what I remember Dark Magus is really good, that's the only one I've heard of those. The couple of latter day Coltrane albums I have are quite great, perhaps I should get that one as well. 

I'm such a jazz newbie that I've never heard of the other three.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 1:38pm
For many metal fans trying to get into jazz, it is usually common to break through with bands/artists that are more guitar-oriented in sound.  Usually Return To Forever or other jazz fusion artists do the trick. 

I got into jazz through fusion music, only it was through Weather Report where there is no guitar to be seen or heard.  I'm a bass player, so having the likes of Jaco and Alphonso Johnson in their ranks helped to focus my attention.

John Zorn's Naked City was mentioned in the comment section of that link as a good omission from the list, and I agree.  Really high energy stuff that some metal heads may appreciate.

Edited by Stooge - 18 Aug 2010 at 1:39pm
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:25pm
Isn't Naked City straight up metal in some tracks? I believe that list would be supposed to include more traditional forms of jazz and fusion (though Dark Magus is far from anything traditional), but then again I have no idea what the first three are like.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Isn't Naked City straight up metal in some tracks? I believe that list would be supposed to include more traditional forms of jazz and fusion (though Dark Magus is far from anything traditional), but then again I have no idea what the first three are like.

I figure if they put albums featuring guitarists Sonny Sharrock and Pete Cosey, both of whom can get heavy at times, why not Naked City?  You're right though, Naked City do tend to do alot of genre-hopping, at least from their debut (unfortunately all I'm familiar with). 

Although there are lots of more "traditional" guitarists in jazz like Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall, it would be interesting to see a list with albums not including guitarists.  Or just make the current list a bit bigger as I'm always up for another new discovery. Smile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:49am
Some of what's listed in that top 5 is free jazz/improvisational music, which is a very "extreme" kind of music, at least as difficult as some types of extreme metal. They're definitely NOT "introductory" albums to jazz, but rather jazz' answer to extreme metal.

Naked City is avantgarde from what I remember so I don't consider it jazz, but it's definitely close to the spirit of the albums in the list.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 6:44pm
Albert Ayler had a great influence on hardcore/grindcore.
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 11:44pm
My list:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
And
LOL
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 11:06am
Al Di Meola - Land Of The Midnight Sun
Shawn Baxter - Jazz Metal
John Scofield - Loud Jazz
Dave Weckl - Synergy
Anything from Tribal Tech
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic