MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

metalheads... I want your thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: metalheads... I want your thoughts
    Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 7:46am
as we get people into the site from the outer reaches of the internet after the initial land rush of posters from PA's have claimed all the prized land and hot women and set ourselves up as sheriffs and magistrates ahhah

for the pure  metalheads out there....  what are your thoughts on prog rock.... even prog metal.

are there any out there that believe metal is tits and ass, good times music.. dark 'dangerous' music with satanic (real or pseudo) musings..  if so.... how does attempts to intellectualize music sit with you.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:21am
I was "lucky" enough to have experienced both prog rock and metal in their infancy.

I still listen to both (far too much my missus would say!) and maybe understandably, I prefer Prog Metal over most other musical forms.

Having said that I'm more of a traditionalist and therefore steers clear of the ultra extreme acts.

Do you think it will be more of an age thing?
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

I was "lucky" enough to have experienced both prog rock and metal in their infancy.

I still listen to both (far too much my missus would say!) and maybe understandably, I prefer Prog Metal over most other musical forms.

Having said that I'm more of a traditionalist and therefore steers clear of the ultra extreme acts.

Do you think it will be more of an age thing?

I do....at the cost of having been often accused of being a bit too much condescending when I make such generalizations LOL  I just think that younger listeners relate to... or simply understand that extreme sh*t.  I just think it sounds like f**king noise hahah. I've always been about melody and much like prog... enjoy metal most when attention is made to not shock/impress the listener... but catch the listener in a web of interesting music of which melody.... even in metal.. is so important.   I have often thought it .. not skills or virtuosity.. is what makes music so great.  It's when music 'grabs' you and won't let go.. that again is why I think it is a age thing..   if melody is what grabs me.. and others who grew up listening to absolute kings of melody.. the Beatles.. who is to say that rage and noise doesn't 'grab' others who might not have been exposed to such an emphasis on melody and the craft of songwriting.   I suppose I'm just old enough to have seen real rage in the world. and don't need it in music as well.  Not when it often an 'act'... take the rage of hard core rap.. for the most part.. that is REAL.  Not originally some ploy to sell records or be put into a musical nitche they enjoy playing.. but a real reflection of the lives they know made for those who live a life where they are targeted simply because of the color of their skin.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:19am
Well it�s been kind of different for me actually. I started out listening to the usual suspects like Iron Maiden and Metallica and then moved on to the more extreme stuff. Then I had a period where I found progressive metal and later power metal really interesting and now as I�ve growned older I�ve returned to extreme metal. Ususally the more extreme and aggressive the better. So no it�s not an age thing for me.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:23am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Well it�s been kind of different for me actually. I started out listening to the usual suspects like Iron Maiden and Metallica and then moved on to the more extreme stuff. Then I had a period where I found progressive metal and later power metal really interesting and now as I�ve growned older I�ve returned to extreme metal. Ususally the more extreme and aggressive the better. So no it�s not an age thing for me.

it's all about personal taste for the individual and really nothing matters past that..  however if talking generalizations.. the larger listening audience...there probably (obviously in my mind) is an age component to it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 10:56am
Prog -- to be honest, I'd rather not even hear that word here (at least for now),  Progressive metal is kind of a pseudo-intellectual b*****dization of pure metal.  Give me balls to the wall metal that appeals to my baser instincts and none of that aerie faerie crock rock nonsense. 

-brootaLogan
- -brutalogan
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Prog -- to be honest, I'd rather not even hear that word here (at least for now),  Progressive metal is kind of a pseudo-intellectual b*****dization of pure metal.  Give me balls to the wall metal that appeals to my baser instincts and none of that aerie faerie crock rock nonsense. 

-brootaLogan

BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW !!!!

An increadibly br00taw line from Judas Priest.

Edited by CCVP - 27 Mar 2010 at 11:19am
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:31am
I don't think it's an age thing in so much that it is an attitude thing. I'm rapidly approaching 53 and love extreme metal far more than I do extreme (avant) prog, in much the same way I prefer extreme Classical more than extreme Jazz ...

There is something more honest and tangible about pushing the limits of noise (for want of a better word) so that it becomes musical than pushing the limits of music so that it becomes noise....

the want of a better word - noise is the dissonance of sound that comes from taking something to the extreme of what could be considered melodic so that it becomes melodic by another process - for example there is a subsonic rhythmic pulse in blastbeats and trem-picking that cannot be achieved by any other means, whereas randomly plonking on a xylophone creates no discernible undertones, resonances or rhythms and is simply "noise" (and can be achieved just as easily by falling downstairs while carrying the instrument as by playing it).

That modulation between rhythmic motifs creates a slow melody of sorts that you feel more than hear - a few minutes at an extreme metal concert will demostrate this a lot easier than I can explain it in words and explains why you have to listen to it at high volumes. Of course with increased loudness it can be achieved with any music - try playing Tubular Bells or Hergest Ridge very (very) loud and feel the music rather than listen to it - the dimensional shift is quite startling once you recognise it is there - the same thing happens with extreme metal - the melody is there, it's just different (I wouldn't recomend that with Yes though - the higher freqencies of Howe's guitar just become painful when played too loud).

Of course metal can be (and is) melodic, for example there is a thin line between Symphonic Metal and Symphonic Rock that infers that some melodic metal (regardless of actual subgenre) can be just as uninspired and bland as the worse excesses (n�e laziness) of any other pseudo-classical rock form.

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:52am
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I just think it sounds like f**king noise hahah.
And some people like noise! It's a whole subgenre of music.
Quote if melody is what grabs me.. and others who grew up listening to absolute kings of melody.. the Beatles.. who is to say that rage and noise doesn't 'grab' others who might not have been exposed to such an emphasis on melody and the craft of songwriting. �
My whole childhood my mom listened to '60s pop/rock on the radio in the car, and my favorite movie was Fantasia, soooo....Where did I go wrong?

I don't listen to non-prog metal so I don't have any thoughts on the topic.

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 2:58am
I think the midle section on Dancing With the Moonlit of Night to be sort of heavy metal the guitar riff would not sound off on an Iron Maidon song
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by dean dean wrote:

I don't think it's an age thing in so much that it is an attitude thing. I'm rapidly approaching 53 and love extreme metal far more than I do extreme (avant) prog, in much the same way I prefer extreme Classical more than extreme Jazz ...

hmm... perhaps I shouldn't write off extreme metal.  I've tried extreme 'avant' prog and it really isn't my cup of tea.

There is something more honest and tangible about pushing the limits of noise (for want of a better word) so that it becomes musical than pushing the limits of music so that it becomes noise....

much as as the polar opposite might. ..and I'm thinking of Battiato's Stockhausen inspired late 70's period...  lord have mercy it is difficult to listen to... but you can appreciate the honesty and artistic aspirations for pushing the limits of how little to play
LOL

the want of a better word - noise is the dissonance of sound that comes from taking something to the extreme of what could be considered melodic so that it becomes melodic by another process - for example there is a subsonic rhythmic pulse in blastbeats and trem-picking that cannot be achieved by any other means, whereas randomly plonking on a xylophone creates no discernible undertones, resonances or rhythms and is simply "noise" (and can be achieved just as easily by falling downstairs while carrying the instrument as by playing it).

That modulation between rhythmic motifs creates a slow melody of sorts that you feel more than hear - a few minutes at an extreme metal concert will demostrate this a lot easier than I can explain it in words and explains why you have to listen to it at high volumes. Of course with increased loudness it can be achieved with any music - try playing Tubular Bells or Hergest Ridge very (very) loud and feel the music rather than listen to it - the dimensional shift is quite startling once you recognise it is there - the same thing happens with extreme metal - the melody is there, it's just different (I wouldn't recomend that with Yes though - the higher freqencies of Howe's guitar just become painful when played too loud).

Of course metal can be (and is) melodic, for example there is a thin line between Symphonic Metal and Symphonic Rock that infers that some melodic metal (regardless of actual subgenre) can be just as uninspired and bland as the worse excesses (n�e laziness) of any other pseudo-classical rock form.

great post... and of course you are spot on. Clap
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:37am
I sugest Lamb of God, they are EXTREME but they are so god produced that they become rather easy listening and they compose good guitar melodies.

and the vocalist/growler/schriker has an incredible range, I dont say they are easy to dygest if you havent gone past the heavynes off Metalica, Pantera or Slayer, but Lamb of God is sort of the next stepp in the Evolution line, i will recomand the song Walk with me in Hell that song have some epic flawor that is related to prog and the guitar is verry melodic, yet disconant. but I would recomand to listen to Metallica first then some Pantera/Slayer and then Lamb of God is the next logical step and then Gojira  who are french and are enviromentalists and vegitarrian, actually the fdrummer in Lamb of God is Vegan 

Edited by Balthamel - 28 Mar 2010 at 8:39am
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 12:19pm
I disagree, I am but one of a reasonable number of young (16- 26) people who are purely traditionalist in terms of metal music.Rawks The most extreme genre that I'm willing to recognise as 'true' metal is Thrash. Once you get heavier than that, I feel it destroys the real artistry behind metal whereupon everyone sees it as noise as opposed to just rock in a raw and high powered format. It saddens me to see a lack of interest in old greats like Saxon, Ozzy and Van Halen in the rest of young listeners because this was the metal that made me feel empowered and took me on a journey through all rock music. Many extreme metal fans I've met often appear closed minded (obviously not all of you, plenty great guys on PA were into it) Often it is as if the harshness of the music matters more than how musical it actually is. I just don't get it. Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

Often it is as if the harshness of the music matters more than how musical it actually is. I just don't get it. Confused
How do you define "musical"? Why is being "musical" the most important attribute of music?

FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 12:14pm

Well, it's all in the name 'music', isn't it? I don't see the the point in all the morbid vocals and crunching guitar in newer metal. Why do that when traditional metal has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of listeners necks stand on end? I mean, ask yourself this... Korn or Metallica?  Cradle Of Filth or Iron Maiden? I know who I'd go for if I were stuck on a deserted island with nothing but a record player and two albums... LOL

CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

Lamb of God

EXTREME

What? Does not compute!Tongue

MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrEdifus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:33pm
Most metal fans who possess some measure of intelligence (and aren't just OMG MUST BE BR00TAL all the time) at least respect progressive rock, for what I have seen. Their deviation from the mainstream and technical ability are something that a metal fan could respect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:32pm

Well, it's all in the name 'music', isn't it? I don't see the the point in all the morbid vocals and crunching guitar in newer metal. Why do that when traditional metal has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of listeners necks stand on end? I mean, ask yourself this... Korn or Metallica?  Cradle Of Filth or Iron Maiden? I know who I'd go for if I were stuck on a deserted island with nothing but a record player and two albums... LOL
Why do you listen to metal when Bach has the ability to soar high and low and make the hair on the back of the listener's neck stand on end? I would prefer silence to any of those artists.

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:17pm

I think the midle section on Dancing With the Moonlit of Night to be sort of heavy metal the guitar riff would not sound off on an Iron Maidon song

I'm not alone! I always wanted to hear Dancing with the Moonlit Knight as a metal song!

Anyways, prog totally sucks, I hate it. Tongue
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:26pm

I disagree, I am but one of a reasonable number of young (16- 26) people who are purely traditionalist in terms of metal music.Rawks The most extreme genre that I'm willing to recognise as 'true' metal is Thrash. Once you get heavier than that, I feel it destroys the real artistry behind metal whereupon everyone sees it as noise as opposed to just rock in a raw and high powered format. It saddens me to see a lack of interest in old greats like Saxon, Ozzy and Van Halen in the rest of young listeners because this was the metal that made me feel empowered and took me on a journey through all rock music. Many extreme metal fans I've met often appear closed minded (obviously not all of you, plenty great guys on PA were into it) Often it is as if the harshness of the music matters more than how musical it actually is. I just don't get it. Confused

What's wrong with noise? Merzbow rocks and the album in Henry's sig is incredible!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic