Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Metal answer to Gentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Metal answer to Gentle Giant
    Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 12:50pm
this answer was asked at PA but with litle sucsess (I did not ask that question the last time), is theira metal band which trendsend the same aproach, complexity, elements, intrumentation, arrangement, medeval, sound which GG is known for

I would love to hear such a band...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 1:38pm
^me too, but I�m not positive you�ll ever find it though. Gentle Giant is a quite unique act.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 1:46pm
maybee I start one myself (only needs a drummer, guitar, keybord, singer (female), fluteist, female violanist, moog, and a Shulberry on Overdrive)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 1:49pm
Not to mention 1, 2, or 3 Shulmans.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 1:53pm
I could leagaly change my name (or marry one Shulman, if they have any doughters on my age) 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:25am
^LOLme too. They are so amazing it�s unbelievable at times.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:42pm
^ for me  ( det beste rock band I verden ) the best rock band in I know of, i'm not think restircted to only prog, but when i listen to albums like In the Glass House i feel not one of the contemporary rock/metal bands at that time ( early to late 70s ) were not in the same league as GG, I thing GG as a prog band moves beyond the traditional view of progrock that they make short songs but do each album (within rock ) to perfection ,

i feel that Gentle Giant is to overlooked
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 6:49pm
Some mathcore bands are amazing (yakuza, dillinger escape plan, born under saturn) but they are not multi-instrumentalists.
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 4:46am
Well Gentle Giant were all about odd-meter and odd tempos, I'd say looking into Math Metal Bands
but . . . its still not quite it Ermm, see the Avant Garde thread as I'm about to add something Wink.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:58pm

^ok so then a mix of math metal and avant garde metal then

looks exieting
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:35pm
"Age of Silence" and "Twisted Into Form" are 2 good ones . . .
Avant Garde and Math Metal Big smile. Both have excellent vocals and good Harmonies at times.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 13 Oct 2010 at 3:36pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 4:17pm
listening to Age of Silence and I love it,

for one song for now they are good (youtube is mye friend)
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 5:53pm
Awesome! Big smile

If you want more ideas and other "Prog" Metal, please go here since youre a YOUtube fan:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Progulus4?feature=mhum

Please subscribe, befriend and listen to the Station too Smile!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 13 Oct 2010 at 5:54pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic