Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current obsessions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current obsessions
    Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:19am
This thread's aim is to tell about your current musical obsessions: what band or album has been in very active rotation lately, and why? Would indeed be great if everyone wrote something about the band or album, not only pasting an album cover or something like that.

Right now I'm obsessed with Verge, been many weeks now. The band managed to create something really captivating on the album "Hatemagic". I posted a review of it, although it's definitely not my best review because it's hard to tell about so good albums. The bad thing is that I still haven't got a real copy of it, although I ordered it in May - a lazy seller...

An example track of its sweetness. Also a great example how to use synths well in black metal - and guitar solos!

Edited by Vehemency - 09 Aug 2010 at 5:19am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:32am
Well I�ve been into Danish death metal act Panzerchrist a lot in the last couple of months: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/panzerchrist.aspx?ac=panzerchri I wouldn�t exactly call it an obsession, but they are a new discovery to me. I�ve known about their existence for many years but never gave them a listen. I�ve worked my way through their full discography and reviewed all their albums in the process ( some reviews are not posted yet. They are part of my backlog. I try not to spam the frontpage everydayBig smile).

Soul Collector ( their third album): http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/panzerchrist--soul-collector.aspx is of particular interest to me.
PANZERCHRIST - Soul Collector cover

Brutal yet catchy death metal with german war themed lyrics. It�s a dark and malicious sounding death metal album. My review will reflect my affection for it. Unfortunately the album is out of print, but you�ll be able to listen to it if you purchase the Bello compilation album where the full album is included: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/panzerchrist--bello-room-service-soul-collector(compilation).aspx
PANZERCHRIST - Bello: Room Service / Soul Collector cover
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 5:38am
I do have a tendency to get really stuck on one band for a while. For like a month I could not stop listening to Megadeth.
Last week or so I have been obsessed with Opeth. Reason being I bought a few of their albums which I have never heard before, so am really getting into it all.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:24am
Lately Iron Maiden's been almost all I listen to. When I was on vacation a week ago, I listened to Powerslave, The Number of The Beast, Piece of Mind, and Seventh Son almost nonstop. I was really into them a few years ago, but since I've taken on the challenge of reviewing their entire discography, I've rediscovered how great they are. This is just one of the reasons why I love reviewing. Smile

I've also (no surprise here) been really into Pain of Salvation. For the past 2 years or so Daniel Gildenl�w's creation has been on very heavy rotation, something that no other band can claim. They're simply my favorite band in any genre. Lately I've been rediscovering Scarsick. I used to really hate that album when I first heard it, but within the past few months it's grown on me to a point where I can call it a masterpiece.

Lastly, I've been getting into Morbid Angel in the past few months, and I now own all of their studio albums except for Blessed Are the Sick and Formulas Fatal To Flesh. Really great U.S. death metal. Thumbs Up

Of more obscure acts, The Last Things' sole album Circles & Butterflies has been in my CD player a lot lately. I absolutely dig their old school prog metal sound, and it's really a shame they only released one album. Oh well...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:46am
I don't really have a current band obsession.  My obsession has been to listen to all of my albums/CDs/downloads by bands in alphabetical order.  I find that it is the only way that I can be certain to listen to everything that I have.  It has been a long, long process and I am currently listening to all of my Steve Hackett CDs, which would make for a discussion on PA.  Sammy Hagar is on the horizon however, so that is a bit more MMA related. LOL   
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Lately Iron Maiden's been almost all I listen to. W

This. Last week I listened to every single studio and live album, many studio albums several times. Now I've moved onto Bruce's solo stuff, perhaps it's Blaze next...
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:13pm
I've been listening to some Maiden this week as I realized I have a few of their albums that I never ripped to my computer. 

Besides this, I've just been jumping around listening to random albums in my collection.  I'm trying to listen to stuff I've been neglecting.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 12:55pm
OSI - Blood and Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day have got a lot of play lately.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 3:04am
Kayo Dot
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 6:08pm
You can add Faith No More to my list. I've been really getting into The Real Thing and Angel Dust lately.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 6:43pm

You can add Faith No More to my list. I've been really getting into The Real Thing and Angel Dust lately.

Great albumsClap! I was listening to Angel Dust this morning when doing the housework... It's the perfect soundtrack!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 6:53pm
Rammstein Big smileRawks They ROCK
Matt
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Great albumsClap! I was listening to Angel Dust this morning when doing the housework... It's the perfect soundtrack!

I remember the last time I cleaned the bathroom I had Angel Dust playing in the background.  I like the 2 albums they did without Jim Martin as well.  I'm not to fond of the early FNM sound.  Some of it is catchy but I don't like Chuck's vocals.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 10:11pm
Emperor is pretty freaking awesome right now. I mean, I've enjoyed Equilibrium IX and In the Nighside Eclipse, but I started listening to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and HOLY CRAP! That's a killer album!
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I remember the last time I cleaned the bathroom I had Angel Dust playing in the background.  I like the 2 albums they did without Jim Martin as well.  I'm not to fond of the early FNM sound.  Some of it is catchy but I don't like Chuck's vocals.

I don't have Faith No More's first two albums. Despite all of the negative hype, I'm still curious to hear how FNM sounds without Patton.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:46pm
I haven't heard alot of the old FNM, but if you like The Real Thing, it's not that different musically from what I remember.
kogaionon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kogaionon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:28pm
rediscovered opeth - morningrise yesterday; i used to listen my arms/your hearse and still life a lot, but after the released watershed, i lost my interest in them (somehow that album didn't get to me)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by kogaionon kogaionon wrote:

rediscovered opeth - morningrise yesterday; i used to listen my arms/your hearse and still life a lot, but after the released watershed, i lost my interest in them (somehow that album didn't get to me)

Morningrise is great! Clap I've always found that album to be very underrated in their discography. Smile
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:19pm
^Morningrise was a huge step up from Orchid, which is the only Opeth album I haven't been able to really get into. Still it might be their second weakest despite its greatness, says something about the quality of the band Clap

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I haven't heard alot of the old FNM, but if you like The Real Thing, it's not that different musically from what I remember.

Yep. I've forgotten to review Introduce Yourself, should do that some day. It's quite much the same sound as The Real Thing, with little less melody and with an at times painful vocal delivery. I've also got We Care a Lot on vinyl, but I just haven't been able to buy myself a player to listen to it with Embarrassed

My biggest current obsession is Jackson Browne Rawks

Edited by Pekka - 18 Aug 2010 at 11:20pm
<- Click on this!
Ulfednar View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ulfednar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 3:25am

Can't get this song out of my mind, it's been weeks. The odd thing is, I'm not even that big a fan of Doom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic